We can lead the way in fighting racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has social media set us back, or does it just bring out what people really are? In a weird kind of way, I think it is good that people can use social media to express their prejudices, as it is now in the open and the same medium can then also be used to educate people as to why racism, sexism etc are wrong. Without social media, people will suppress their thoughts in public and then it festers unchecked.

I would much rather it is said and challenged.

How can you challenge someone who is anonymous, who is going to get them to change when they're just sat at home behind a keyboard laughing along with their merry selves because they can insult people and not be caught.

How can you challenge someone who is anonymous, who is going to get them to change when they're just sat at home behind a keyboard laughing along with their merry selves because they can insult people and not be caught.
Well, you just challenged me to think about what I wrote. See how easy it is? ;)

Disagree with the first point, nothing of evertons doing associated with skin colour of fans.
Second point refer to the previous post.

Also , (please don't take this the wrong way) a lot of foreign fans (black,Asian, Oriental etc) tend to be glory hunters, hence why you see a lot more fans that are classed as minorities in Britain supporting the sky 6, Barca, Madrid etc
My boss is a great example of this, he's Pakistani and moved over here when younger for work, education etc. He used to be a utd fan, now he's a Liverpool fan, his loyalty lies with whoever is doing better
Also for immigrants and foreign fans it's more likely they'll be able to watch a sky 6 team, meaning that clubs like us will have a more localised support until they become consistently successful in a recent context

Yeah I'm trying to make that point too that along with being successful in the SKy6 era, which will naturally attract' fans of different backgrounds, we also need to ensure that we are actively welcoming fans of different backgrounds. How do we actually make people like me feel that, I dont know, but I guess some projects in different communities might help, and even like some people suggested, fans all rounding on any racist comment, even the smallest most insignificant one

Went to the Newcastle game the other week and to be honest I was surprised that I saw a few 20-30 black males. It was good to see. Wembley games a few years ago along Wembley way saw a few different Asian males with the children in Everton shirts. If your an Evertonian makes no difference to me what colour or creed you are

Thank you, that's what I have expected whenever I go to a match, that my EFC shirt makes me one of us more than my skin colour.

Great post mate.

Only my opinion, but the signing and subsequent impact of Kevin Campbell moved us forward light years with regards to ridding the club of it`s " Everton are white " tag. He certainly opened the door for the signing of a lot of non white players and as such saw more non white people attending the match too.

Have you thought about getting in touch with the club and maybe suggesting that they run an initiative in schools in the L8 / L15 areas, where the majority of the kids from ethnic backgrounds go ?

One thing that the club is very good at is all the community based stuff and something like this could be right up their street.

Thanks - I actually have got in touch with the club, and because I work with a lot of international partners and visitors, I haven't done a proper research project, but I do notice that they perceive this about EFC, and it could change. I also thought that about Super Kev

Thanks - I actually have got in touch with the club, and because I work with a lot of international partners and visitors, I haven't done a proper research project, but I do notice that they perceive this about EFC, and it could change. I also thought that about Super Kev

I know Kev still does a lot with the club and is active on social media, maybe he’d be worth speaking to as well ?

Great thread OP, but I just find any talk of racism in 2019 so depressing. Cant we all just get along ffs....the planet won't last forever and I guarantee the day it all ends, we'll all be together crapping it.

It is really depressing, especially for those who face it. It's hard even for this: i don't face obvious name calling and aggression, but there are behaviours and attitudes that I can't measure, explain or show people, but I know they're prejudiced. We are desensitised to them, and I'm born and brought up in liverpool and have to sometimes be treated like an outsider. It is depressing, but Everton fans are so good at this kind of thing, I think we can show people how well we can get aong.

The hiatus between Cliff Marshall and Earl Barrett, led some lazy pundits, to see Everton has having a 'problem'.

I visited most grounds in the 70's and 80's, and racism was rampant everywhere.

We can't be complacent, as it is obvious that the far-right still see's football as a potential recruitment target.

I can only comment from my spec, in the Upper Gwlady's, but thankfully I hear no racist nonsense these days.

Last edited:

It is really depressing, especially for those who face it. It's hard even for this: i don't face obvious name calling and aggression, but there are behaviours and attitudes that I can't measure, explain or show people, but I know they're prejudiced. We are desensitised to them, and I'm born and brought up in liverpool and have to sometimes be treated like an outsider. It is depressing, but Everton fans are so good at this kind of thing, I think we can show people how well we can get aong.
I'm with you, I dont get it either, but the "whites" are not the only ones to blame....its a minority / majority issue EVERYWHERE. The biggest race in a space want that race to be kept clean, be it religious or race wise....it appears to be the human condition.....Its MAD !!!.. at the end of the day we are all human, sod the semantics. As I said earlier, race, religion......skin colour means diddly squat if / when we WILL be shoved together for a human kind issue. Once we have seen a meteor, nuclear or microbiotic threat that would bring us as close as family...there are divides that haunt us all. And again....its MAD.
I am of course on the red wine....its Friday ffs !!! My hope for humanity is we all forget religion and skin colour, see each other as naked and chuckle a little.

I'm with you, I dont get it either, but the "whites" are not the only ones to blame....its a minority / majority issue EVERYWHERE. The biggest race in a space want that race to be kept clean, be it religious or race wise....it appears to be the human condition.....Its MAD !!!.. at the end of the day we are all human, sod the semantics. As I said earlier, race, religion......skin colour means diddly squat if / when we WILL be shoved together for a human kind issue. Once we have seen a meteor, nuclear or microbiotic threat that would bring us as close as family...there are divides that haunt us all. And again....its MAD.
I am of course on the red wine....its Friday ffs !!! My hope for humanity is we all forget religion and skin colour, see each other as naked and chuckle a little.

Why are you defending folk at the Robinson rally/march then? Or denying they are a bit racist.

Why are you defending folk at the Robinson rally/march then? Or denying they are a bit racist.
? Baking powder ??
If any of my post mentioned Robinson, then ..what ???....actually I'm not sorry, where the hell have you gotten this from ??
If you can't speak from the heart without recrimination, this site unfortunately has become the very thing I hate. Shut down discussion, shut down personal improvement. Cheers, please remove my username and password Roydo...much obliged

I am truly sorry for any I'll feelings caused. I am all drunk ... all situations are simplified with alcohol...
Please carry on....I'm gagged !!

Dunno fam.

I always think its funny that me, a white dude, should pass judgement on what is and isnt offensive to others!

It's offensive in the US because of the treatment of Asians during late 1800's

Due to the amount of Asian slave labour the Americans used to build the western cities and railways the word became synonymous as being a derogatory term.

But other parts of the world including Britain and i guess parts of Europe don't consider it as being because the word Orient means east. So it's seen as a literal description of the part of the world they originate from.

Sorry to stray off topic.

Good post by OP

Status
Not open for further replies.