2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I was a fan, I still am a fan. I don’t think we won a game without Rooney in the side last season. I will never feel bitterness towards him, i’ve loved watching him play football.

Saying that, it’s a new regime and i’m perfectly happy with the decision to move him on. Fine footballer but we need to be more dynamic if we are to progress into being a more effective team.

I thought it would work out better. Even from a young age I thought he would drop in and be as effective as Scholes was for United as he looked to have all the tools to do it. Maybe he's just not quite as clever a footballer as Scholes. Or maybe that role can only really work for a side at the top of the league, who generally enjoy lots of possession and opponents who won't run past them? Who knows.

He did well for us for the first half of last season and was arguably our best player, before badly falling away. I'd have loved him to have stayed, but thats the romantic in me- you want to have more of a claim over Rooney than we will ultimately get in 20 years time. From a footballing perspective it is very difficult to see where he fits into a Marco Silva side, and I imagine Silva doesn't want him around as he's likely to be a problem for him either in or out of the team.

It's a real shame we didn't get him the year he came back for the testimonial. He looked head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch. It's like relationships though, sometimes things are just not meant to be, despite knowing if you'd met the person a bit earlier, or a bit later in your or their life you'd have been very happy, timing is everything. It was entirely off for Everton and Rooney and ultimately no amount of forcing it will ever do the relationship justice to what it could have been.

In my time watching Everton (post 90) he is probably the one player who I'd say could have been spoken about as someone who'd get into our outfield all time 11.

Making me feel dead old that his career has pretty much finished though tbh moreso than the likes of Ossie and Hibbo, even RS like Slippy and Owen because the whole appeal about Rooney when he came through was how young he was.

It’s hard to describe how good he was and how exciting it was as a kid to have this phenomenon playing at Everton, and he was a blue, too. Not just a blue in the sense that Slippy was a red, or Hibbo was a blue, but a proper match going gwladys street lid.

It says a lot that he’s england and man united’s highest ever goalscorer, won it all at club level, and still didn’t fulfill his potential.

No matter what he does, says or achieves, he is and always will be an absolute bellend for jumping up and down kissing a Man United badge in front of the Park End on the day we mourned Alan Ball. There has been some good will this season, I would never not get behind him as an Everton player. But Wayne Rooney’s legacy at Everton will always and rightly so , be of a nobhead for the way he acted.

Lets not forget,when they say he was signing tonight,did they mean our time,or his new usa time,as there is 8 hours difference,though ive just seen the usual,in the next 48 hours lol which will then turn into the end of the week

I was bothered when he left. Gutted in fact. Over the years, I became less bothered as each year passed. To the point he was just another player for the opposition when Man Utd played us.
I wasn't bothered whether he signed for us or didn't last summer. I didn't see him as a priority signing. To be fair he did ok for the first half of the season. Bright spots being the opening two goals of the season, the strike against West Ham and the equalising pen against the RS.
He could have been a legend at Everton, he chose to be one at Man Utd. Fair play, it was his career and as a result he's won plenty. He gave them.his best years. No problem.
No way am I gutted he's going though. Time waits for no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.