2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its embarrassing really saying he is an Everton legend. He spent all his carreer at United and then comes back to us over China
and the club say he is a legend ...... honestly with these jokers in charge we are destined to remain small time. That guy who tried to buy Chelsea
but Abromavich would not sell should buy us get rid of these jokers ............

So only players in the 1966 world cup squad are England legends? Or is it just Bobby Charlton?

Mainly yes, but then you've got the squad of 86, who were beaten by Maradona, hand of God, Plus Gazza, Lineker in Italia 90, David Platt on the volley, and Euro 96 team who got to semis and won a penalty shoot out.
Not just the qualify and 'get out of the group wasters' who underperformed against lesser teams.
Longevity can get you records, it doesn't make you a legend - tell me the stand out performance that makes him an England legend.

Where is our "legend"?

Belfast? The USA? North West England?

Has he left us to be a legend elsewhere? Frankly it feels like the deal is replicating Wayne's form this season. Decent start, a few flashes where something looks like it might happen and then a gravy addled bloater struggling to keep up with the pace of the game.

Mainly yes, but then you've got the squad of 86, who were beaten by Maradona, hand of God, Plus Gazza, Lineker in Italia 90, David Platt on the volley, and Euro 96 team who got to semis and won a penalty shoot out.
Not just the qualify and 'get out of the group wasters' who underperformed against lesser teams.
Longevity can get you records, it doesn't make you a legend - tell me the stand out performance that makes him an England legend.
The question can be asked about any other legends out there, what kind of stand out performance that elevates a player to a legend status? Does one spectacular volley in the last minute of a world cup knock-out match gives the status? Are Darren Anderton and Steve Mcmanaman England legends because they were part of the England team that reach the semifinal of Euro 96, while Wayne Rooney who is the most capped outfield player and all time top scorer is not?

Off course people can disagree about who are legends and not, short and long list of legends, it's just the criteria that i'm curious about.

The question can be asked about any other legends out there, what kind of stand out performance that elevates a player to a legend status? Does one spectacular volley in the last minute of a world cup knock-out match gives the status? Are Darren Anderton and Steve Mcmanaman England legends because they were part of the England team that reach the semifinal of Euro 96, while Wayne Rooney who is the most capped outfield player and all time top scorer is not?

Off course people can disagree about who are legends and not, short and long list of legends, it's just the criteria that i'm curious about.
I think that if someone is truly a 'legend' then very few people would disagree, that in itself is the sign of an exceptionally great player.

I wanted him back, he came back, did alright and that's that. He's not an everton legend to me, how can he be? He had his best years at another club and won a shed load of pots with them, he scored a couple of sound goals for us but he made his choices and achieved nothing with us so he ain't a legend to me. In hindsight his move back has been one of sentiment rather than performance so it'll be good to get him off the wage bill. So long wazza. Once a blue always a blue and all that.

I think that if someone is truly a 'legend' then very few people would disagree, that in itself is the sign of an exceptionally great player.
I agree, but it also might be the shorter list which contains only the greatest names in the game, the exceptionally great players that most people would consider as legends.

I think there is also the longer list of legends, which contains the ordinary great players in the history of the game, it's the list that more people may not agree with.

For me, if Rooney is not considered worthy to be in the shorter list of England's greatest legends, very few others do, maybe Charlton and Shearer can be in that list, not sure about Lineker, certainly not Gascoigne and Platt.

Status
Not open for further replies.