Homepage Update: WATCH: David Unsworth Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
He spoke fantastically well as he always does. I don't know if he's a great communicator (he is) or whether he is just a genuine honest guy, with good intentions, a well balanced view on the world who feels he's been given the job of a lifetime.

I once saw a word analyst who said if you don't lie you won't ever slip up, and thats what you get from Unsworth. He's very forthright and always has been.

He is very positive and cheerful though his demeanor is different to last time he stepped up. That was a bit of a nothing game a 1 off and a bit of a celebration to get people back not track. This is now pretty serious, both in terms of the clubs position and also an audition for the first team job. If he bounces 3 or 4 wins together, suddenly the season looks very rosy with him at the helm, and the possibility of being in 4 competitions. Lose 4 and we are in for a long relegation scrap.

I suspect we will see a lot of emphasis on performance. It will be like the first season with the 23's, lots of focus on process and a fair bit of praise. I've never wanted an Everton manager to succeed more.

Someone on Reddit made a good point about the differences between Unsworth's two post-sacking press conferences.

On Martinez he said:

He said: "A good man has lost his job and that's always difficult but thats football management. It's been a difficult time for us.

"Roberto had said to the chairman to put me in charge. That's the measure of the man and it doesn't surprise me. He's a terrific guy.

On Koeman:

What are your thoughts on Ronald's sacking?

"I have been in football forever and whenever any manager loses their job you know that one day it can be you so it is tough. But it is the business we are in. I am a very proud mad sat here to be able to lead Everton for it doesn't matter how many games. I'll give it everything I've got."

Interesting he said the players were buzzing after a few minutes. Maybe there was a bit of unhappiness at how Ronald was doing things, even if nobody wanted to turn against him due to his reputation.

David Unsworth's love for the club is almost palpable. And it's obvious that he'll make an excellent Premier League manager at some point, whether it's this season or in five years' time.

I just wish he wasn't being thrown in at the deep end. I'd rather his first match have been against Swindon Town at home than Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, a place we haven't won at (the penalty shoot-out of 2011 aside) for almost a quarter of a century.

After witnessing the human hyperbole Martinez and the aloof and distant Koeman. I must admit Unsworth and his "I can only be what I am" persona is quite refreshing. He appears to be humble while still confident in how he feels the game should be played. It is also clear he loves the badge.

He did not hurt himself at all with that presser. I have no idea if he will succeed but I am rooting for him.

Just watched his press conference, what a man, I just hope he does it for us, he deserves it and we deserve it, even if it doesn't work out, it won't be on him and hopefully he'll be back again,

I've just got a good feeling about him though

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.