"Watch Classic Matches Again"

John Connelly broke his leg in the 1st game at Goodison in a very bad tackle by a player called Jon Davidson. Fast forward a couple of days and I'm back at school after the Christmas holidays. Had our morning assembly and the headmaster introduced a new member of staff to our P.E. department, step forward Mr Jon Davidson !!
All the Blues who remembered him starting booing ! He was an ok bloke as it turned out.

There were a couple of ex-Tranmere players in that side including a certain Gerry Casey who never took amy prisoners.
Gerry played against Everton in the cup games of 1968 too (FA Cup and League Cup). He was a massive blue but told me he enjoyed kicking Alan Ball, even though he loved him ("a total wind-up merchant") but felt bad kicking Colin Harvey, who he liked even more. But his role was 'enforcer' so there was a job to do.

Gerry played against Everton in the cup games of 1968 too (FA Cup and League Cup). He was a massive blue but told me he enjoyed kicking Alan Ball, even though he loved him ("a total wind-up merchant") but felt bad kicking Colin Harvey, who he liked even more. But his role was 'enforcer' so there was a job to do.
They were animals Altrincham - I was right in front of the double leg break incident not even a booking, yet I heard the crack a disgusting tackle it should have been a straight red ....

Just reading up on Gerry and saddened to see he's no longer with us. One of his pals was Joey Pritchard and they came regularly to my local in Rock Ferry. A couple of weeks after the replay they came in and I was well oiled and armed with Dutch Courage I thought I'd give him down the banks over his foul play. As I went over I saw him sporting a fresh black eye and I'm sure he was missing a tooth or two. I gave matters a second thought and ended up buying them both a pint.

Just reading up on Gerry and saddened to see he's no longer with us. One of his pals was Joey Pritchard and they came regularly to my local in Rock Ferry. A couple of weeks after the replay they came in and I was well oiled and armed with Dutch Courage I thought I'd give him down the banks over his foul play. As I went over I saw him sporting a fresh black eye and I'm sure he was missing a tooth or two. I gave matters a second thought and ended up buying them both a pint.
Nice story Tommy. Yes, Gerry sadly died of Dementia like too many footballers of his era. I was honoured to carry his coffin at his funeral- entering the crematorium to the sound of Z Cars. ?

He'll always have that stat of being the very first post-war player to be sent off on his league debut...for flattening John Bond!!!

Nice story Tommy. Yes, Gerry sadly died of Dementia like too many footballers of his era. I was honoured to carry his coffin at his funeral- entering the crematorium to the sound of Z Cars. ?

He'll always have that stat of being the very first post-war player to be sent off on his league debut...for flattening John Bond!!!
Back in the sixties one of the presenters on Sports Report on BBC radio was Bill Bothwell who was also a Rovers director. He actually revelled in mentioning this on the programme .