Was Marcel Brands a good choice for DOF? POLL

Has Marcel Brands been a good choice as DOF?

• Yes he's been a success. Glad he's with us.

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • No he's been a failure. I wish we'd gone for someone else.

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Jury's still out.

Votes: 156 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is that David Moyes made better signings with a budget of 10 mil max every season than any of our directors of football. Leave it to the manager imo.

And yet David Moyes has never repeated that feat.

13m he spent over 11 years.

You wont see another manager do that in the history of the game, mainly cos 90% of clubs these days have a DoF.

Imagine thinking Carlo Ancelotti cba negotiating and scouting players.

4 for 4 in 2018, 2019 hasnt even finished yet. To me it looks like of the 2019 crowd, Gomes and Kean are hits, Iwobi a miss, and Gbamin bad luck. If Kean bags a few goals, his hit rate looks great.

You also have to keep in mind its not just getting a player, its how MUCH you get him for. Getting Richarlison, Digne, Mina and Bernard for 80 million total is fantastic business, that was negotiated by Brands even though Silva wanted a couple of them. I trust Ancelotti knows a good player, and if so Brands can deliver the negotiation. Ill really judge him once he has one more summer that enables him to bring in a few more players, AND finally get rid of all of the dead weight he was saddled with.

Not having that mate - he's scored 1 goal all season, hooked by Dunc and has been involved in numerous shenanigans.

Its telling that Wolves signed Cutrone the same time we signed Kean - both highly rated young Italiano's from Serie A - Wolves loaned Cutrone out in January as he has been a failure whereas Kean is still here being lauded by our fans as some top player.

Thats the reason why Wolves will finish above us 2 seasons in a row, are romping sides in Europe in the latter stages of the Europa League whilst we sit playing with ourselves in 12th still blaming Koeman and Walsh for all our woes.

Is that Carlo Ancelotti, who was hired by Marcel Brands?

I wish I lived in a world in which I could blame somebody for ALL the mistakes, but give him none of the credit for successes.

Come on mate, firstly you know I hate Moshiri even more than Brands but Moshiri at least gets the credit for hiring Ancelotti through his pure single mindedness.

Brands had nothing to do with getting Carlo. Moshiri went above and beyond on that one.

Come on mate, firstly you know I hate Moshiri even more than Brands but Moshiri at least gets the credit for hiring Ancelotti through his pure single mindedness.

Brands had nothing to do with getting Carlo. Moshiri went above and beyond on that one.

This game is great.

Kenwright hired Silva
Silva signed Iwobi, Kean, Gmbamin, Delph, Lossl
Brands signed Gomes, Rico, Digne and I heard it was also him that suggested Salah to Liverpool

What a world this would be.

BUT

The reality is, Moshiri is responsible for EVERYTHING that has happened since he gained control and Brands is responsible for all our managers and all the players since he was appointed.

The good, the bad and the indifferent, all rest on Brands shoulders.

This game is great.

Kenwright hired Silva
Silva signed Iwobi, Kean, Gmbamin, Delph, Lossl
Brands signed Gomes, Rico, Digne and I heard it was also him that suggested Salah to Liverpool

What a world this would be.

BUT

The reality is, Moshiri is responsible for EVERYTHING that has happened since he gained control and Brands is responsible for all our managers and all the players since he was appointed.

The good, the bad and the indifferent, all rest on Brands shoulders.

Haha well if that's true and absolutely everything, good, bad and ugly is down to Brands I'd say its even more obvious what a bad job he's done!

There's 9 games to go and no one is arsed about the games we have to play, I keep hearing there's nothing for us to play for - if we want to be successful that has to be unacceptable.

What a wonderful summary of the last 30 years.
Pretty much. Doesn’t matter who our manager is it what players we have one thing is certain, we will be boring. The definitive “just making up the numbers” team in English football.

Richarlison , digne , gomes, Mina all quality players and improve the first 11

Kean the perfect signing for where we are. No doubt he can be world class one day, perhaps won't be here but I'm happy to give him another season.

Delph a great squad player , someone who would be 4th choice.

Iwobi, disappointed but we haven't played to his style.

Gbamin never been injury prone before here so it's just Everton that.

We are making far better signings under brands. I'd argue that any that you find underwhelming is under circumstances that had brands hamstrung on wages from Walsh signings that he couldn't get rid of.

Brands is a top dof who is being painted at the villan because some fans have no understanding of the damage that walsh did at this club.

Haha well if that's true and absolutely everything, good, bad and ugly is down to Brands I'd say its even more obvious what a bad job he's done!

There's 9 games to go and no one is arsed about the games we have to play, I keep hearing there's nothing for us to play for - if we want to be successful that has to be unacceptable.

I was leaning towards thinking we had nothing to play for, but we can still make Europe, for what its worth.

The squad isnt in great shape, ive made that point in my squad thread, we lack players in some key areas, the hope was that with a little bit of deadwood out the door this summer that maybe we could have done something, but then The Rona pops up and everything is pretty screwed, IMO

Last Summer for me was superb, but it wasnt perfect, this summer and when I say last and this, I mean 2018 and 2019, of course, this summer hasnt worked out at all, but we did have a pretty terrible manager.

Delph has been injured and when not injured offering people out on twitter.
Lossl wasnt even seen
Gmblammos leg fell off, then it fell off again, I know people are calling him injury prone, but hes played 30+ league games in most of his seasons as a pro, but he clearly hasnt made an impact
Gomes, I know he has his doubters, but I think hes a wonderful player, he of course also had a pretty bad injury
Kean hasnt made an impact at all, 1 goal, a few bright spots, but its hard to judge him considering his very limited minutes
And I doubt Iwobi is even a footballer at this point

So for whatever reasons/excuses, last summer hasnt worked out, at all. Some of them might come good, ive still got SLIGHT hope that Gmblammo can get over this, but after 2 VERY serious injuries, its only a slight hope at this point, Iwobi could find a role in the team, his stats, yeah I know, but his stats suggest we should be getting more and so on.

But at this point last summer was a pretty crap window, regardless of all my excuses, none of the players signed contributed zip so far.

Im just looking forward to next season, hopefully we have a decent window, if possible and we now have a wonderful manager, im not hopeful tho, sadly the Rona will make it difficult for any team wishing to improve, I mean nobody will be buying any of our rubbish this summer thats for damn sure.

I was leaning towards thinking we had nothing to play for, but we can still make Europe, for what its worth.

The squad isnt in great shape, ive made that point in my squad thread, we lack players in some key areas, the hope was that with a little bit of deadwood out the door this summer that maybe we could have done something, but then The Rona pops up and everything is pretty screwed, IMO

Last Summer for me was superb, but it wasnt perfect, this summer and when I say last and this, I mean 2018 and 2019, of course, this summer hasnt worked out at all, but we did have a pretty terrible manager.

Lossl wasnt even seen
Gmblammos leg fell off, then it fell off again, I know people are calling him injury prone, but hes played 30+ league games in most of his seasons as a pro, but he clearly hasnt made an impact
Gomes, I know he has his doubters, but I think hes a wonderful player, he of course also had a pretty bad injury
Kean hasnt made an impact at all, 1 goal, a few bright spots, but its hard to judge him considering his very limited minutes

So for whatever reasons/excuses, last summer hasnt worked out, at all. Some of them might come good, ive still got SLIGHT hope that Gmblammo can get over this, but after 2 VERY serious injuries, its only a slight hope at this point, Iwobi could find a role in the team, his stats, yeah I know, but his stats suggest we should be getting more and so on.

But at this point last summer was a pretty crap window, regardless of all my excuses, none of the players signed contributed zip so far.

Im just looking forward to next season, hopefully we have a decent window, if possible and we now have a wonderful manager, im not hopeful tho, sadly the Rona will make it difficult for any team wishing to improve, I mean nobody will be buying any of our rubbish this summer thats for damn sure.

An excellent post. I agree that there is still Europe to play for as well, by the way.

Lossl wasnt even seen

You'll (weirdly) take flak for this mate but it's right on the money. My major worry is that we somehow "Everton" up the allure of Carlo Ancelotti but the truth is the state of the current world is going to affect our business making a very difficult job even harder so the fanbase has got to be realistic this summer. A big positive I guess is that with every day that goes by a piece of deadwood's contract is closer to ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.