Waiting for the page to turn - your best Everton memories of Teletext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clubcall flashing saying we have made a signing, that turned out to be John Spencer, Everton v Wimbledon, swindon v everton - hoping we would hang on to a 1-0 lead to only conceed on 90 and me go mad [which just checking was 1993] - funny how you remember something from so many years ago not thinking it was that long ago lol

I went to that away game against Swindon. What a load of crap that was, gang of lads all dancing in the away end saying "let's all have a disco" and about two minutes later they equalised ffs.

Felt like it took an age to get to and back home and an overall crap away day experience for this 15 year old kid.

Matches themselves - not too many as I was at most of them....or listening on the radio.

The memories I have most of all from this service is of major signing announcements....three stand out....Cottee, Beardsley and Kanchelskis confirmations I think.

Avid reader of teletex and can’t remember best moments but I think their was nothing worse than seeing for example Everton sign new player see page 807, typing said page and it was 34 pages long and you know as it just started Everton was on the previous page, it would take ages to go through them and the story would normally end out bollox such as EFC bid £3.50 for Shearer when £15 mill fee already agreed.

same as teletext holidays, scroll through 4000 pages to find the perfect holiday and all you have to do is ring this premium number and yes you guessed it, that holiday had just gone, but we do have an alternative but slightly (massively) dearer.

I went to that away game against Swindon. What a load of crap that was, gang of lads all dancing in the away end saying "let's all have a disco" and about two minutes later they equalised ffs.

Felt like it took an age to get to and back home and an overall crap away day experience for this 15 year old kid.
I just remember the page taking forever to turn -got longer and longer, with me wondering at the time thinking i am sure the game should be ended by now, to then conceed on 90 and go mad, as i thought at the time we would win easy as sure they were bottom day we played them lol

Ive actually just had quick look and found the goals which for the heck of it i could not remember how they were scored at all @maccavennie

Last edited:
Always preferred ceefax myself. Less ads.

If I remember correctly;

302 for the Premier League page.
308 was usually were the live scores where.
325 was the League standings.
319 stands out for some reason too, but I can't place it.

Channel 4 also used to have a page for every club. I remember using it to keep update with injuries and news.
Think 319 was the gossip page from the papers

I just remember the page taking forever to turn -got longer and longer, with me wondering at the time thinking i am sure the game should be ended by now, to then conceed on 90 and go mad, as i thought at the time we would win easy as sure they were bottom day we played them lol

Yeah mate I'm sure they were bottom of the league at the time. They celebrated that equaliser like it was winning the world Cup. I remember being outside the away end and there was a dad with his wife and 3 daughters all kitted in Swindon gear......the rage at seeing day trippers for Swindon as a teenager was too much for me to handle lol

Think 319 was the gossip page from the papers
Ok. I just looked it up. I was a little off. 324 was the league table, 312 was the gossip page and 316 were the scores. But normally on a Saturday they were on 303 apparently

That article is 8 years old, but It's a decent read

Technology isn’t marvellous today, scores revealed everywhere seconds after they have been score, I remember in 1953 waiting for the score from Nottingham,we played Notts County away on a Wednesday night and I got the score after the ten o’clock news, around 10-30pm when they announced the football score, thankfully we won 2-0. And that was in a neighbours house, we didn’t have a wireless in ours!!

Status
Not open for further replies.