2021/22 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I’m more concerned about his defending if I’m honest. Very flat footed in one-on-ones and poor in the air. Digne is a good deal better defensively, he was terrific in Villas final game at City.

Mykolenko has better size and athleticism, I’m sure we’ll see an improvement next season.

From what ive seen, totally disagree.

Both Mykolenko and Godfrey look solid one on one defenders, solid as markers, have pace on the turn, strong and athletic and play like it matters.

At the same time, both need to improve in a couple of departments while still having a good 5 years each to catch up to the leagues best.

….terrific goal at Leicester but I’m seeing more negatives than pluses at both ends of the pitch in this lads game.

One terrific cross last night but was wasteful most of the time in good attacking positions. Cleared one rebound off the keeper but defensively he looks like a full back you’d be chuffed to play against.

i like him, seems a lovely lad but he’s a long way from being as good as Digne as an attacker and defender. One poster ridiculously called him a ‘great player’ but he also said the same about Michael Keane & adored Benitez.

We’ll know more next season.
He has improved in the 5months since he arrived even if don't take into account the moving to new league/war at home, which of course can't be ignored.
If he has improved on the pitch in that time and has both Baines and Cole behind him I reckon we'll see even more next season.
The flip side is, if he doesn't improve further under Baines & Cole then it would be concerning, but I think he will
I'm happy so far with him

Bit much playing him again tonight. Looks to be the only one who hasnt been rested from the 3rd game in a week.

…I’m more concerned about his defending if I’m honest. Very flat footed in one-on-ones and poor in the air. Digne is a good deal better defensively, he was terrific in Villas final game at City.

Mykolenko has better size and athleticism, I’m sure we’ll see an improvement next season.

I beg to differ mate, Digne I think was poor defensively, lost count if how often he would allow left footed wingers turn inside of him (Mahrez made him look league 2 standard the other season) same as Baines was shockingly bad at stopping crosses. And both if those where terrible aerially and often let their man peel off them.

Think there's a temptation to look at a great attacking fullback with rise tinted glasses at times, same way we heard that Baines was better than Coke from a lot, when coke was great going forward and arguably the best defensive fb of his generation.

This lad right now I think is a better defensive option than either of those was, counter to that is he doesn't provide a threat the other end with any consistency (yet). But he's got a great engine, good pace and a great attitude.

I beg to differ mate, Digne I think was poor defensively, lost count if how often he would allow left footed wingers turn inside of him (Mahrez made him look league 2 standard the other season) same as Baines was shockingly bad at stopping crosses. And both if those where terrible aerially and often let their man peel off them.

Think there's a temptation to look at a great attacking fullback with rise tinted glasses at times, same way we heard that Baines was better than Coke from a lot, when coke was great going forward and arguably the best defensive fb of his generation.

This lad right now I think is a better defensive option than either of those was, counter to that is he doesn't provide a threat the other end with any consistency (yet). But he's got a great engine, good pace and a great attitude.

I would tend to agree.

I thought he was good defensively, especially for a 22 year old playing his 1st season in a foreign league.

Decent size, and looks to enjoy defending. Stops crosses well and likes a tackle. A bit of a throwback as a fullback.

The hope will be, with confidence he gets better offensively.

Bit much playing him again tonight. Looks to be the only one who hasnt been rested from the 3rd game in a week.
I agree it’s a risk especially at the end of the season. But the more he plays the better he gets for me. He has played against 3 teams who have prem players in them. Good experience for him all round.

Jaysis, Eggs - Digne was a phantom defensively. Never stopped a cross, gave away a ridiculous number of frees and poor in the air too. Wand of a left foot though. We miss him at the top end of the pitch but no more than that.

Hes no pepsi challenge like.

I think when he first came he was like a chicken with no head,but that was because of the speed of the game in the prem.But now he's used to it, and how much you have to be on your toes and he as improved.The next thing is attacking part of the game,i think he is an intelligent player and will practice mid season on this aspect of his game.With 2 of the best attacking left backs of the modern game,teaching him he can't go wrong,sorry one and the other one is a terrible back stabber ive been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.