Homepage Update: TV rights deals, hastening a breakway (Euro) League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd happily see those other 6 pee off tbh, but it's been talked about for a long while now. I honestly don't see why it's a necessity though, teams are content with playing their national leagues as well as champions league. I'd understand it being a possibility if teams playing in the league meant they couldn't play anyone else in europe.

When the top clubs broke away from the football league no one blinked an eye. The FL clubs were confident that they wouldn't suffer but the reality is that their TV deal collapsed and with it club after club went into administration. To this day without PL monies paid via parachute payments etc the FL would be tens of millions a year worse off.

I personally think it's only a matter of time till a European league or leagues are formed. Clubs from England joining such a set up would be more than happy to forego the likes of the FA and league cups indeed there is already mumblings much to that effect.

Let them all f'off, I love football, not arsed about massively over paid, and overhyped primaddona's prancing round a park, bring football back the ordinary bloke and kids, players mingling with the supporters once more, none of this I'm a mega superstar [Poor language removed]. Football will survive just fine, clubs that don't adapt and evolve will struggle. Honestly, I'd watch Everton if they were in the Vanarama national league, makes not one jot to me who they play or on what league.

i'd happily see those other 6 pee off tbh, but it's been talked about for a long while now. I honestly don't see why it's a necessity though, teams are content with playing their national leagues as well as champions league. I'd understand it being a possibility if teams playing in the league meant they couldn't play anyone else in europe.

All the domestic European Leagues would become mickey mouse leagues with the 'champions' being the best of the rest. There would be no way to compare a champion pre and post Euro League because a number of each countries better teams would not be competing in the domestic league.

Would be the end of the Football League as anything meaningful in terms of 'who is the best team in England'.

When the top clubs broke away from the football league no one blinked an eye. The FL clubs were confident that they wouldn't suffer but the reality is that their TV deal collapsed and with it club after club went into administration. To this day without PL monies paid via parachute payments etc the FL would be tens of millions a year worse off.

I personally think it's only a matter of time till a European league or leagues are formed. Clubs from England joining such a set up would be more than happy to forego the likes of the FA and league cups indeed there is already mumblings much to that effect.
Yes and it's ironic considering some of the indignation in here that our club ,under then chairman Carter, were the prime movers in the creation of the Premier League.

Yes and it's ironic considering some of the indignation in here that our club ,under then chairman Carter, were the prime movers in the creation of the Premier League.

As they say, "Different times".

The PL break away was as much to do with the frustration the clubs in Div 1 had with the luddite cretins that "ran" the league, as it was pure greed. Hence the collective nature of the distribution of TV money, and a voting system that meant the (then) Big 5 could not act independently of the other clubs.

Football back then was just about becoming popular/fashionable beyond the traditional match goer, (post Italia 90/Gazza, all that), but no one could have predicted the insane riches we see now, nor the global spread of the brand. We got lucky basically.

Any Euro based break out will be the exact opposite of the reasons the PL was created. Pure greed.

I can't see it happening.

Would clubs really devalue the trophies they've won to earn a quick buck? If the top 4 clubs (UTD, City, Chelsea & Arsenal) in England left to compete in a new league what would that do for the reputation of the league they left behind? Would that be the end of the European Cup/s?

It'd be shameful if the current owners of the higher ranked English clubs left the English league.

Arsenal - American owned
United - American owned
Liverpool - American owned
Chelsea - Russian owned
City - Arab owned
Spurs - British owned (but lives in the Bahamas)

Mate none of the top teams gives a flying one about the English league whatsoever - the top 6 (omitting spurs) have absolutely zero connection to the country in reality

One thing for sure, the future of football is online, not TV.

Take me for example, im from Lebanon and Bein-Sports have the exclusive right all over the middle east, i have to pay lot of money to subscribe to Bein (+ Dish + Receiver which they keep changing every year so you buy a new one), I watch all Everton games and very very few other games, not more than 5 games a season, i just don't care about other teams, i only watch a game if lets say we are 5th and the 4th place team must lose so we overtake them, thats the only time i watch another team, so why do i want to pay for 380 games price to watch only Everton + Bein don't have the rights for the league cup and not sure if they have the FA cup this season, so currently (been 2 years now i didn't subscribe) i am watching all our games online, while it is illegal streams, it's not illegal in Lebanon, or better say, the premier league or Bein can't do anything to stop me from watching online.

It will take few years, i am into technology so i know how to find a stream and all the rest of the details, the majority of the world population don't know how to do that, but by time, everyone will know how to do it, Internet killed newspapers, youtube is killing TVs and same will happen with sports, Bein lost me as a customer, the more customers they lose, the less they will be able to pay for the rights and will reach a day where they will not be able to afford to buy the rights, even before that, i expect new online technologies or youtube, facebook, netflix or something similar will takeover the premier league broadcasting online.

The TV money bubble will eventually burst, money will never be the same online, now you have Bein paying huge amount of money for Middle East, another company doing the same for North America, another for Africa, Australia, East Asia, ect... in the future, one company will broadcast online to the whole world.

probably correct about one company eventually controlling all, then again the world will one day head the way (or already is) of being controlled by a small group of mega-corporations

How would it even work, would the European league be a franchise system with clubs being invited (no pro/rel) or would each country get a quota of places in the league, so say the lowest place English team gets relegated back to the PL regardless of how many foreign clubs they finish higher than and be replaced by the PL champions? I can't see clubs going for the pro/rel option as presumably that would mean a ton of different teams each season, and in the Franchise system, the novelty would wear off and clubs like Everton, Villa, N'castle, leeds etc would eventually form a reasonably competitive domestic league.
Cant see it happening.

As they say, "Different times".

The PL break away was as much to do with the frustration the clubs in Div 1 had with the luddite cretins that "ran" the league, as it was pure greed. Hence the collective nature of the distribution of TV money, and a voting system that meant the (then) Big 5 could not act independently of the other clubs.

Football back then was just about becoming popular/fashionable beyond the traditional match goer, (post Italia 90/Gazza, all that), but no one could have predicted the insane riches we see now, nor the global spread of the brand. We got lucky basically.

Any Euro based break out will be the exact opposite of the reasons the PL was created. Pure greed.

Nah the prem being formed wa sall about money mate, just they didn't and no one expected the increase to go to these insane levels, but the driving force was initially about profit masquerading as trying to create a fairer less governed by nobheads league

Football is dead if/when this happens
Quite the reverse in my opinion.
Football did exist pre 1992 and I quite enjoyed it.
I have long advocated letting the elite have their own party, and reorganising the remaining teams into a new league.
Once the novelty wears off the atmosphere in the grounds will be crap due to fewer and fewer away fans travelling.
Let them fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.