Homepage Update: TV rights deals, hastening a breakway (Euro) League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...never say never, the galictica clubs will know the global demand for their product and will have discussed this. Being selfish, I wouldn't want it to happen unless we were part of that elite group but the world is a smaller place than ever so a 3.00 kick off at the Nou Camp on a Saturday afternoon is more manageable than it ever was.

Would be amusing to see SPurs actually push for this, as ultimately they would become the smallest of fish in the pond, and sure as hell the next step would be the REALLY big clubs wanting to divide the European super league according to success or more likely the clubs 'profile', that would be obviously the ultimate end game for Real Madrid, Barca, United and the rs

I disagree though mate - i wouldn't want Everton to be part of the thing that completely killed football as we know it, if we joined that breakaway then i can hand on heart say i would never watch another game of football again

About as likely to happen as Celtic and Rangers joining the English League. That argument must be due to happen again soon.....

Eventually Celtic will join either this league or a European one mate, they have far too much marketability to not do so, Rangers are dwarfed in that regards by them

Something like that would ruin a lot of the more enjoyable aspects of football and would be a real shame. Unfortunately greed will almost certainly win out

Also looking at it, what would be the criteria to get in it, to be honest at present there are only about 6 clubs were money isn't an issue but how would the likes of Liverpool be guaranteed a place at the table.
Would it go on money alone or trophies won, fan base? , be a very small league if t went on mega rich clubs.

Fan Base - as that equates to what they bring to the table in terms of marketability
Success a lower down catagory - as it doesnt honestly matter except in terms of it usually means a bigger fan base more marketable etc
and a third factor is the actual walth of the club and owner as money does indeed talk

No chance on earth any breakaway league would just contain a small number like 12 teams mate though.

Is the list you state would be involved

If the ‘big six’ from the Premier League truly forced the issue, who could not see Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Inter Milan salivating at the idea of doing likewise to form at least a twelve-team “SuperLeague”.

could 100% add in AC Milan to that list, Athletico, Monaco, Dortmund for starters. maybe others such as Valencia, Seville, and othe rteams with either a historic large supporter base or who have had recent success etc.

They would also want some way of including at least one club from other major but lesser nations - Turkey, Netherlands, Portugal to capitalise on market audience, Galatasaray, Porto, Ajax for example, i also think as it'd be entirely about making more money you would see Celtic included in any breakaway - they have a massive worldwide supporter base, they won't miss out on bringing that into the competition. Maybe even a Russian team as well - a huge market and inclusion of a Russian team as with other nations makes it relevant to that country etc.

The effect it would have on the league should this happen - it would make it instantly more competitive, well in theory anyways, in reality you may just see 1 or 2 of the biggest clubs (such as us) dominate constantly.

The effect it would have on the calibre of the league - basically it would absolutely kill it, ALL top players would want to be playing in the new European league, the TV rights etc for the new league would shrink back to figures of 10 years ago, nearly every club left behind would be left in an absolute financial mess, and some would go under in Blackburn and Leeds style, including almost certainly us.

You'd then be left in a situation of any young player you developed or any breakthrough player you signed would be taken off you with ridiculous ease by any of the teams in the European league.

What SHOULD happen if they ever did do this, a permanent ban on the club EVER rejoining the league - so if this European super league goes tits up, then goodbye to all 7 of those clubs, and if you want to be kind to them - you make them rejoin in the lowest division of the leagues - so a good 4 years minimum and actually more as all 7 teams would be forced to compete for 1-2 promotion spots each year, any player who has been registered in this super league is ineligible to play in the domestic league - so no retirement home once the player gets used up and spat out by the 'big clubs'

The reality is that i don't think the English clubs actually want to do it, what they want is to give the impression they will do it, in order to receive a hugely more imbalanced share of the money the clubs each get, effectively cementing their place as a top 6 forever in essence.
Premier league should threaten back in terms of point deductions IF these clubs continue with the threats and talks over effectively destroying the competition which is giving them 100's millions per year to compete in it.
No shot Monaco gets in. They hardly ever sell out a 20k seat stadium. Valencia have too many financial issues. However Milan Roma Sevilla and Dortmund are definitely in. I get the feeling that this can't happen without franchises and something like just creating a team in Amsterdam or Berlin or somewhere like that from scratch is a possibility

They've already got a European Super League haven't they? It's called the Champions League. If you look at the teams that have won the competition, only Porto really stand out as outside the kind of teams that would be in this league, and that was 14 years ago. Gone are the days when you'd have Forest, Villa, Bucharest, Porto, PSV, Red Star Belgrade et al winning the title. It's become the defacto European boring as hell League they've always wanted that shuts everyone else through sheer weight of money.

Any club that left to join such an anhorrent venture, should be mandated that they can never return to the league they left. So if the superleague did collapse, the clubs would dissolve forever.

I can't see it happening.

Would clubs really devalue the trophies they've won to earn a quick buck? If the top 4 clubs (UTD, City, Chelsea & Arsenal) in England left to compete in a new league what would that do for the reputation of the league they left behind? Would that be the end of the European Cup/s?

It'd be shameful if the current owners of the higher ranked English clubs left the English league.

The only reason why the PL gets such a massive following/TV deals is quite simple; it is competetive. Same reason why the CL is seeing lower interest; it isnt that competetive.

A Euro league with no relegation, and basically being boring, would have the shelf life of a sandwich.
Good point

There won't be a super/breakaway league, it would further crystallise the momentum toward having 4 or 5 super clubs leaving the remainder to stagnate, much like the current scenario outside the top 6.
Very sobering though, and not sure what we can do to regain a place amongst the big clubs, although if Spurs can we can.

Terrible idea, atmosphere at games would be crap, and it would just serve to widen the gap between the moneyed clubs and the rest, and I thought that is what FFP was trying to avoid.

Also, not sure why the RS would get into this Euro league, it should be teams who have won the Premier League :D
FFP is a sham as the Neymar transfer proved as well as City spending over 200 m plus want to spend another 60/70 m on Sanchez and Evans.
The rich have made a mockery of FFP and Bayern who refused to play the game and abide by the rules suffer , well Ancelotti at least suffered

One thing for sure, the future of football is online, not TV.

Take me for example, im from Lebanon and Bein-Sports have the exclusive right all over the middle east, i have to pay lot of money to subscribe to Bein (+ Dish + Receiver which they keep changing every year so you buy a new one), I watch all Everton games and very very few other games, not more than 5 games a season, i just don't care about other teams, i only watch a game if lets say we are 5th and the 4th place team must lose so we overtake them, thats the only time i watch another team, so why do i want to pay for 380 games price to watch only Everton + Bein don't have the rights for the league cup and not sure if they have the FA cup this season, so currently (been 2 years now i didn't subscribe) i am watching all our games online, while it is illegal streams, it's not illegal in Lebanon, or better say, the premier league or Bein can't do anything to stop me from watching online.

It will take few years, i am into technology so i know how to find a stream and all the rest of the details, the majority of the world population don't know how to do that, but by time, everyone will know how to do it, Internet killed newspapers, youtube is killing TVs and same will happen with sports, Bein lost me as a customer, the more customers they lose, the less they will be able to pay for the rights and will reach a day where they will not be able to afford to buy the rights, even before that, i expect new online technologies or youtube, facebook, netflix or something similar will takeover the premier league broadcasting online.

The TV money bubble will eventually burst, money will never be the same online, now you have Bein paying huge amount of money for Middle East, another company doing the same for North America, another for Africa, Australia, East Asia, ect... in the future, one company will broadcast online to the whole world.

Status
Not open for further replies.