Homepage Update: TV rights deals, hastening a breakway (Euro) League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Staff member
AndyC submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

TV rights deals, hastening a breakway (Euro) League?
goodisonevening-1024x461.jpg

With the media and well-informed football people predicting and fully expecting further massive TV rights deals if the likes of Amazon, Facebook, and even Netflix throw their hat into the bidding ring, is a break-up of the Premier League and the other major European domestic leagues in favour of a true European League a growing possibility?

For a flavour of the potential scenario, take a read of this article.

I won’t go into the numbers, the Guardian report and other articles doing the rounds cover that much more comprehensively and eloquently than I could, suffice to say the suggestion that Man United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and them across the park are intimating they would want considerably more of a newer, bigger cake than they currently enjoy.

This leads me to ponder whether they would try and put a gun to the head of the others by threatening to break-away and maybe even forcefully encourage the formation of a European League with the big clubs from Spain, Italy, France and Germany, and others too?

The potential numbers for future TV rights of the Premier League are staggering, likely to dwarf even the deal currently in situ and if the so-called ‘big’ clubs were to ever get their way, the current huge gap between them and the rest will likely become unbridgeable.

As I understand it, a break-up of the current league isn’t possible under the existing rules and conditions, but as with so many other things… money talks.

If enough cash were to be waved under the noses of the ownership and management structures at Man United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and them across the park, then the likelihood is that they’ll sooner or later fancy trying to force the issue.

I’ve always felt that Michel Platini and others within UEFA previously secretly favoured the formation of a true European League and if there’s enough financial incentive splashed around, it’s really not that difficult to imagine those six plus and at least another six others from around Europe fancying such a competition.

If the ‘big six’ from the Premier League truly forced the issue, who could not see Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Inter Milan salivating at the idea of doing likewise to form at least a twelve-team “SuperLeague”.

Twelve teams could play twice home and away for a 44-game season without any need for a cup competition, the TV and internet broadcasting companies would probably go into a feeding frenzy for the rights to screen such a league.

If another six of the biggest, wealthiest, media-darling clubs could be persuaded or chose to breakaway, an 18-team league might be formed, with a reduction to once home and away for a 34-game season.

People will say UEFA would never countenance such a move, they’d ostracise those clubs from the Champions League, restrict players from signing into a new league etc and right now, that’s probably the position.

But if a big enough TV deal were offered would they, the clubs, be bothered and just plough ahead forming a new league? Would UEFA have no alternative than to consider sanctioning it under their banner?

The Champions League revenue streams are massive, but the marketing and TV viewing figures potential for such a “SuperLeague” could dwarf even those numbers.

Let’s imagine for argument sake that this breakaway league genuinely became a possibility and the current ‘big six’ chose to go their own way, would the domestic game here in England be any worse off?

I guess the answer is, in the short term – yes, but in the long term ?

Even at this early stage of the season, all bar those six would be grateful to finish seventh as Everton did last season, some considerable way behind.

Even the most rabid Evertonian, even when the summer transfer dealings were seemingly all going our way, was only thinking of breaking into the top four and hopefully winning one of the cups.

The subconscious focus of the fans of fourteen clubs varies from survival to mid-table respectability to hopes of finishing in the top ten. The days of everyone starting the season moreorless equal and competitively with one another are long gone distant memories.

Should the rest of the Premier League then bust a gut to prevent the ‘big six’ from going to form their greed driven and induced “SuperLeague” if that's what they ultimately choose to do?

If they broke away, wouldn’t the Premier League suddenly become that bit more competitive – instead of fourteen clubs looking no higher than seventh place, it could be fourteen, plus say the top four from the Championship in a new 18-team league with practically all of them harbouring title ambitions every August.

We’d miss the derbies if them across the park broke away and we’d miss the ‘big’ games against the others, but we’d likely not miss the results record of recent years against nearly all of them.

If, and it’s a huge if, these clubs left, wouldn’t a genuine competitiveness in a revised Premier League return, would the cup competitions especially the FA Cup recover some of the lost charisma with the playing field being levelled?

Or would we genuinely miss them and wish they had never left?

Or would we want Everton to be a part of it and go with them – a ‘big seven’?

Ultimately, it could come down to just how greedy one or more or all of the ‘big’ European clubs really are and who amongst them has the daring to launch such a movement?

AndyC submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

TV rights deals, hastening a breakway (Euro) League?
goodisonevening-1024x461.jpg

With the media and well-informed football people predicting and fully expecting further massive TV rights deals if the likes of Amazon, Facebook, and even Netflix throw their hat into the bidding ring, is a break-up of the Premier League and the other major European domestic leagues in favour of a true European League a growing possibility?

For a flavour of the potential scenario, take a read of this article.

I won’t go into the numbers, the Guardian report and other articles doing the rounds cover that much more comprehensively and eloquently than I could, suffice to say the suggestion that Man United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and them across the park are intimating they would want considerably more of a newer, bigger cake than they currently enjoy.

This leads me to ponder whether they would try and put a gun to the head of the others by threatening to break-away and maybe even forcefully encourage the formation of a European League with the big clubs from Spain, Italy, France and Germany, and others too?

The potential numbers for future TV rights of the Premier League are staggering, likely to dwarf even the deal currently in situ and if the so-called ‘big’ clubs were to ever get their way, the current huge gap between them and the rest will likely become unbridgeable.

As I understand it, a break-up of the current league isn’t possible under the existing rules and conditions, but as with so many other things… money talks.

If enough cash were to be waved under the noses of the ownership and management structures at Man United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and them across the park, then the likelihood is that they’ll sooner or later fancy trying to force the issue.

I’ve always felt that Michel Platini and others within UEFA previously secretly favoured the formation of a true European League and if there’s enough financial incentive splashed around, it’s really not that difficult to imagine those six plus and at least another six others from around Europe fancying such a competition.

If the ‘big six’ from the Premier League truly forced the issue, who could not see Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Inter Milan salivating at the idea of doing likewise to form at least a twelve-team “SuperLeague”.

Twelve teams could play twice home and away for a 44-game season without any need for a cup competition, the TV and internet broadcasting companies would probably go into a feeding frenzy for the rights to screen such a league.

If another six of the biggest, wealthiest, media-darling clubs could be persuaded or chose to breakaway, an 18-team league might be formed, with a reduction to once home and away for a 34-game season.

People will say UEFA would never countenance such a move, they’d ostracise those clubs from the Champions League, restrict players from signing into a new league etc and right now, that’s probably the position.

But if a big enough TV deal were offered would they, the clubs, be bothered and just plough ahead forming a new league? Would UEFA have no alternative than to consider sanctioning it under their banner?

The Champions League revenue streams are massive, but the marketing and TV viewing figures potential for such a “SuperLeague” could dwarf even those numbers.

Let’s imagine for argument sake that this breakaway league genuinely became a possibility and the current ‘big six’ chose to go their own way, would the domestic game here in England be any worse off?

I guess the answer is, in the short term – yes, but in the long term ?

Even at this early stage of the season, all bar those six would be grateful to finish seventh as Everton did last season, some considerable way behind.

Even the most rabid Evertonian, even when the summer transfer dealings were seemingly all going our way, was only thinking of breaking into the top four and hopefully winning one of the cups.

The subconscious focus of the fans of fourteen clubs varies from survival to mid-table respectability to hopes of finishing in the top ten. The days of everyone starting the season moreorless equal and competitively with one another are long gone distant memories.

Should the rest of the Premier League then bust a gut to prevent the ‘big six’ from going to form their greed driven and induced “SuperLeague” if that's what they ultimately choose to do?

If they broke away, wouldn’t the Premier League suddenly become that bit more competitive – instead of fourteen clubs looking no higher than seventh place, it could be fourteen, plus say the top four from the Championship in a new 18-team league with practically all of them harbouring title ambitions every August.

We’d miss the derbies if them across the park broke away and we’d miss the ‘big’ games against the others, but we’d likely not miss the results record of recent years against nearly all of them.

If, and it’s a huge if, these clubs left, wouldn’t a genuine competitiveness in a revised Premier League return, would the cup competitions especially the FA Cup recover some of the lost charisma with the playing field being levelled?

Or would we genuinely miss them and wish they had never left?

Or would we want Everton to be a part of it and go with them – a ‘big seven’?

Ultimately, it could come down to just how greedy one or more or all of the ‘big’ European clubs really are and who amongst them has the daring to launch such a movement?

With tv money and sponsership involved ut is always a possibility. End of away days for fans after a year if travelling around europe. If there was a promotion relagation system we could be the best of the rest and get in

I'd like to see us win the league one day, so if all of them getting off indirectly makes us the best team in the league then I'm all for it.

It is plainly obvious those clubs all desperately want it, and who could blame them?

I'd love it to happen and them to have the matches for their Euro league shown at all mad times to accommodate the Chinese and USA mega sports fans while their local fanbase is driven away by exorbitant ticket prices marketed to wealthy tourists until all of those clubs become a shadow of what they were and the locals become thoroughly disillusioned at their relationship with what was once their club but is now a global corporation focused solely on increasing shareholder value.

Meanwhile Everton bosses the new league with supporters travelling up and down the country.

If it was to happen I for one would be delighted. Let the "big clubs" enjoy the bright lights and the hype, it will soon wear thin. Ye it sounds great in theory for Liverpool and Man Utd fans to play Barcalona on a Saturday in a league match but that's until it dawns on them that they won't actually ever win anything again because they're getting bummed most weeks.

Then you factor in the cost of attending these matchs and the travel (not really much of a problem for Kopites since they have to catch a plane for the home games anyway!) but doing this every week will soon get old. Now the prices won't bother the powers that be in the game at first until the novelty of say Man Utd Vs Real Madrid has happened enough for the media to lose interest and less and less people start to care because the real fans stayed watching the "poor clubs".

Meanwhile the rest of us great unwashed clubs that weren't wanted in the "super league" will be sound. Prices will have to go down for attending fans for the league to remain competitive and more actual fans will attend rather then the clueless premier league glory hunters brigade. We'll see less overpriced and overhyped stars and more local lads given a chance. Sounds to me like we'd be getting a far better deal.

Within twenty years the "super league" would collapse after the bubble bursts and all the club's in it would be crawling back begging to rejoin their domestic league.

In order for there to be 6 English teams, I would think you would need a league of at least 24 teams if not more. Since a Europe league would basically gut interest in the Champions league, countries like Spain aren't going to give up spots.

Terrible idea, atmosphere at games would be crap, and it would just serve to widen the gap between the moneyed clubs and the rest, and I thought that is what FFP was trying to avoid.

Also, not sure why the RS would get into this Euro league, it should be teams who have won the Premier League :D

I have said it before and I will say it again.

This idea of a European "super league" has been touted since I was a young lad back in the 60s.

Every year or two some bugger brings it up again.

It ain't ever going to happen :)

And as for the "big clubs" here.....they would not make as much money from a breakaway league as they do now and in the future from the EPL, the interest in which is the sole reason these potential worldwide TV revenues are so lucrative.

It is the English game which sells around the world......not many in Manila or Seoul give a stuff for La Liga beyond Real and Barcelona and they have even less interest in the other "major leagues" in Europe.

And the driver of this current nonsense is the realisation of this fact by the top teams in those leagues that, outside of a handful of mega clubs, even moderate EPL clubs have greater wealth potential than the ooverwhelming majority of clubs in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue One and Das Bundesliga due to the worldwide appetite for the English top flight.

That would not be replicated in a European Super League....the TV audiences are falling for CL games already and a move like this would decrease interest in European football IMO.

UEFA are looking enviously at the EPL revenues and are blinded by greed.

Don't see it happening due to probably only 4 English clubs being able to join. They'd want the RS due to their wacky international fanbase, that'd leave 3 places for London Mancs, Scruffy Mancs, Woolwich, BNP FC, and "FFS Spurs" FC. Utd are huge so that leaves two of City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal missing out, not gonna happen. Also don't see the foreign teams wanting 6 English clubs in, especially as most of the teams do terribly in Europe.

Don't see it happening due to probably only 4 English clubs being able to join. They'd want the RS due to their wacky international fanbase, that'd leave 3 places for London Mancs, Scruffy Mancs, Woolwich, BNP FC, and "FFS Spurs" FC. Utd are huge so that leaves two of City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal missing out, not gonna happen. Also don't see the foreign teams wanting 6 English clubs in, especially as most of the teams do terribly in Europe.

What about the powerhouses of world football Newcastle and West Ham?

I'd like to see us win the league one day, so if all of them getting off indirectly makes us the best team in the league then I'm all for it.

It is plainly obvious those clubs all desperately want it, and who could blame them?

I'd love it to happen and them to have the matches for their Euro league shown at all mad times to accommodate the Chinese and USA mega sports fans while their local fanbase is driven away by exorbitant ticket prices marketed to wealthy tourists until all of those clubs become a shadow of what they were and the locals become thoroughly disillusioned at their relationship with what was once their club but is now a global corporation focused solely on increasing shareholder value.

Meanwhile Everton bosses the new league with supporters travelling up and down the country.
Think I saw a poll that said that the majority of the fans from the sky 6 don't want the super league .

If this did happen then football would be over for me, even if Everton were in the break away league.

It would no longer be the same game but more like an precessional game where the same old clubs in a closed shop playing each other will be stale after the novelty wares off.

What happens to the grass roots and the other clubs then ? This I think could have disastrous results for football and would end the game as we know it.

Mind you with transfer fees how they are today the game is broken but bearable as it is.

So not for me

Let them go ban them from the FA cup and ban the players from international squads,couple of years being also rans in a league where theres no relegation or promotion,while spending hundreds to follow your team it would be dead within 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.