Trevor Steven on talkSPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baines' left foot

Player Valuation: £90m
Interesting little interview this morning on talkSPORT. Steven was being asked what he believes are the secrets behind Everton’s great start.

He said that clearly Ancelotti has got a good team which have bought in to his ideas, but perhaps the lack of fans at Goodison has played a part. He recalled his playing days here and said that the crowd are great, but if things aren’t going well then they can almost become a hinderence.

But when it's rocking it's very much a help, swings and roundabouts
I think the issue is that the positive extreme doesn't automatically negate how often the other (negative) can be if that makes sense, or at least as of late.

The pendulum can swing towards Goodison being an absolute bear-pit, which inspires the players, but the opposite swing has become a proverbial noose.

I'm not saying I would change those brilliant days that we have, but we need more of them and less of when the boo boys are out or it's just insipidly dull.

If Trevor Steven thinks it could be an issue, I'm going to listen to what he has to say because I've seen it far too often with my own eyes.

I think the issue is that the positive extreme doesn't automatically negate how often the other (negative) can be if that makes sense, or at least as of late.

The pendulum can swing towards Goodison being an absolute bear-pit, which inspires the players, but the opposite swing has become a proverbial noose.

I'm not saying I would change those brilliant days that we have, but we need more of them and less of when the boo boys are out or it's just insipidly dull.

If Trevor Steven thinks it could be an issue, I'm going to listen to what he has to say because I've seen it far too often with my own eyes.
Reidy said the same, there's no hiding place at Goodison but one thing we will get behind is 100% effort, if it's quiet and dead that is on the players, we are an easy to please crowd, just start fast and the crowd is there, look like we are just passing it around the back with zero shots on target and obviously it's going to be rubbish atmosphere.

Reidy said the same, there's no hiding place at Goodison but one thing we will get behind is 100% effort, if it's quiet and dead that is on the players, we are an easy to please crowd, just start fast and the crowd is there, look like we are just passing it around the back with zero shots on target and obviously it's going to be rubbish atmosphere.
I agree to a point because I, myself, love a good tackle as much as anyone, and yes we want players to show passion and effort - it's the simple things we respect.

But, I do feel that in recent year there's sometimes been a lack of patience if we're not scoring straight away, and perhaps the players are under instructions.

That's not to say people shouldn't criticise when it's just to do so, yet rather sometimes the jitters and shouts come out far too early. That may have an impact.

You only need to look at GOT as a microcosm of the Everton fan base to understand how nasty and irrational things can become very, very early on.

By the way, Pickford would be justified in getting abuse because he's taking the Michael now!

I agree to a point because I, myself, love a good tackle as much as anyone, and yes we want players to show passion and effort - it's the simple things we respect.

But, I do feel that in recent year there's sometimes been a lack of patience if we're not scoring straight away, and perhaps the players are under instructions.

That's not to say people shouldn't criticise when it's just to do so, yet rather sometimes the jitters and shouts come out far too early. That may have an impact.
I just put it down to 25 years of misery mate, we are brow beaten, some of the truly awful players we have had wear the shirt has taken its toll.

I just put it down to 25 years of misery mate, we are brow beaten, some of the truly awful players we have had wear the shirt has taken its toll.
Again, I agree to a point. I feel it's become worse in the last few years because perhaps expectations have grown since Moshiri has came in with the money.

We also saw a glimmer of hope at the end of Moyes's tenure and Martinez MKI, which will have fuelled the expectations and heightened the weaknesses.

The taboos we currently have (e.g. Analfield, Top Six away) will play a part too, but I still feel that it's more than that. Perhaps we need to relax a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.