Transfer window's closed - Recast your votes ?

What grade would you give us for this transfer window now that it's closed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
C for me and its all down to Lukaku. I fear his signing will be a millstone round our neck that could set us back half a decade at worst.

My fear is that due to his purchase we will not be able to spend adequately over the next 2 years to cover for what will become increasing signs of age from Distin, Jags, Howard, Baines and Barry due to the outlay on Lukaku.

For anyone who thinks we have players in reserve, well I don't believe Galloway, Stones, Besic or even Ovideo can be guaranteed to be adequate at the level at which we aim to operate. I know Utd, City, Chelsea, Pool, Spurs wouldnt play that game.

We are not Utd who can afford to write off 27.5m purchases as loose change.

You will also notice that players are now more expensive for reasons that I believe to be due to increased TV revenue, so the amount we have spent compared to other around us looks only adequate. Having said that, I also don't believe there is much left in the kitty - we (maybe?)struggled to stump up the cash for Celverly, and we are fairly sure that Martinez wanted him.

Besic looks nowhere near ready

How can you make that judgement based on what little we've seen so far? How many players were rubbish to start with. Naismith was laughed at by opposition fans for being so poor at Goodison; no ones laughing anymore.

C for me and its all down to Lukaku. I fear his signing will be a millstone round our neck that could set us back half a decade at worst.

My fear is that due to his purchase we will not be able to spend adequately over the next 2 years to cover for what will become increasing signs of age from Distin, Jags, Howard, Baines and Barry due to the outlay on Lukaku.

For anyone who thinks we have players in reserve, well I don't believe Galloway, Stones, Besic or even Ovideo can be guaranteed to be adequate at the level at which we aim to operate. I know Utd, City, Chelsea, Pool, Spurs wouldnt play that game.

You will also notice that players are now more expensive for reasons that I believe to be due to increased TV revenue, so the amount we have spent compared to other around us looks only adequate. Having said that, I also don't believe there is much left in the kitty - we (maybe?)struggled to stump up the cash for Celverly, and we are fairly sure that Martinez wanted him.

If this was the case I doubt we would have signed him and let's not forget it wasn't £28 mill up front.

But if Lukaku bangs in 15 prem goals and 5-10 cup goals then he won't be a millstone around our neck as he will be contributing to higher league placings and longer cup runs. You have to speculate to accumulate sometimes and take calculated risks and it's about bloody time we did. 3 seasons of scoring 15-20 goals a season and it will have been an excellent investment from Martinez.

If this was the case I doubt we would have signed him and let's not forget it wasn't £28 mill up front.

Precisely. It's not £28 million up front, I'm sure much of that depends on appearances, league positions and potential champion league qualification. All of which if do come true then warrant the sum involved.

And in any case, considering how well the player has performed up to this stage in his career and given his age then he would have to be absolutely awful for us not to be able to recoup a large portion of the fee if we chose to sell.

How can you make that judgement based on what little we've seen so far? How many players were rubbish to start with. Naismith was laughed at by opposition fans for being so poor at Goodison; no ones laughing anymore.

Spurs, Pool, Utd, Arse, City or Chelsea wouldn't gamble for any extended period with that kind of temperament/playing style.

Besic seems to be some fans favourite on this board at least. Let's see how long that lasts with sloppy passing and a steady stream of bookings for mistiming challenges against technically gifted opponents. You cannot afford to steam in there in this league. It's not the 1970s anymore. He may have got away with questionable play in Hungary, by mixing in the odd Hollywood pass, but I fear his style could be badly exposed in the Premier League and it wont be a pretty sight.

Last edited:
But if Lukaku bangs in 15 prem goals and 5-10 cup goals then he won't be a millstone around our neck as he will be contributing to higher league placings and longer cup runs. You have to speculate to accumulate sometimes and take calculated risks and it's about bloody time we did. 3 seasons of scoring 15-20 goals a season and it will have been an excellent investment from Martinez.
You would hope so but its 0 in 3 so far.

An adequate player now costs 20m in the Premier League.

We had to bend the rules to bring in Henen ffs due to costs.

If you think we will sign even one more average 20m player in the next 12 months then I disagree.

Spurs, Pool, Utd, Arse, City or Chelsea wouldn't gamble for any extended period with that kind of temperament/playing style.

Besic seems to be some fans favourite on this board at least. Let's see how long that lasts with sloppy passing and a steady stream of bookings for mistiming challenges against technically gifted opponents. You cannot afford to steam in there in this league. It's not the 1970s anymore. He may have got away with questionable play in Hungary, by mixing in the odd Hollywood pass, but I fear his style could be badly exposed in the Premier League and it wont be a pretty sight.

Well I havent seen enough of him in a blue shirt to make that call yet. But then I'd argue no one has seem enough of him in a blue shirt to make that judgement either.

Havent you written him off without giving him a chance a little?

Well I havent seen enough of him in a blue shirt to make that call yet. But then I'd argue no one has seem enough of him in a blue shirt to make that judgement either.

Havent you written him off without giving him a chance a little?

I'm not saying definitely, I'm saying I think its more likely than not that he will be exposed, and on those grounds too risky.

I'm not saying definitely, I'm saying I think its more likely than not that he will be exposed, and on those grounds too risky.

You may very well be right, but he's a young player and almost certain to change his style with age and which country and level he plays at. Give the guy a bit of time I say.

On the grounds that I think he may not be quite as good as he and others think he is. I see sloppy play and rash tackles that may have gone unpunished in a lesser league, but will be exposed mercilessly at Premier League level.
He's played about 10 minutes in the PL ffs.

You can't make any sensible judgement on how he'll perform at this level based on that.

He did well at World Cup level from what I saw & I didn't see the World's best player 'exposing him mercilessly' there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.