Transfer window's closed - Recast your votes ?

What grade would you give us for this transfer window now that it's closed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave's gone much higher than I thought he would I must say

Not really. I'd been on C preparing for the worst of a senior player out the door, when that didn't happen (and despite the uneven nature of the spending in terms of attack and defence) I went for B-. Good but no cigar.

Sorry but I gave a B- the reason being I was hoping we would get players in that would really push the 1st 11 but from what I can see only Lukaku falls into that group. Besic looks nowhere near ready, Galloway for the U21s by the looks of it, same goes for Henen, Atsu see Besic, Barry though I'm pleased with his signing he's a player we had last year so bring nothing new to the party, that leaves Eto'o who on sat looked well up for it but not sure after spending 28m on Lukaku that Martinez would drop him for Eto'o.

A solid B. No significant sales and record-breaking 28m for Rom is amazing, especially when considering our usual windows.

But...it's a big but...we glaringly needed a high-end centreback. We knew this even before last season ended, and not getting one may derail our attempt to qualify for the fabled Big Cup.

Not really. I'd been on C preparing for the worst of a senior player out the door, when that didn't happen (and despite the uneven nature of the spending in terms of attack and defence) I went for B-. Good but no cigar.

You went B-? We're maybe not that different after all.

Signed Lukaku. Signed Barry. Signed Eto'o. Signed Besic. Loaned Atsu.

Secured Martinez. Secured Barkley. Secured Coleman. Secured Stones.

Sold Vellios. Sold Gueye.

I don't see how anybody could think this anything less than an A Grade summer. I know people were after a couple more but I think our poor start and pre-season has put a downer on what really was a brilliant summer business wise for the club. A few wins and we'll soon see how well we did.

Anyone, anyone would have taken that in May.

Signed Lukaku. Signed Barry. Signed Eto'o. Signed Besic. Loaned Atsu.

Secured Martinez. Secured Barkley. Secured Coleman. Secured Stones.

Sold Vellios. Sold Gueye.

I don't see how anybody could think this anything less than an A Grade summer. I know people were after a couple more but I think our poor start and pre-season has put a downer on what really was a brilliant summer business wise for the club. A few wins and we'll soon see how well we did.

Anyone, anyone would have taken that in May.

In context, it's an A for us, but surely an A grade is what the likes of Barca, Real, Citeh and Chelsea etc do?

In context, it's an A for us, but surely an A grade is what the likes of Barca, Real, Citeh and Chelsea etc do?

Well yeah, but not many are going to think of it framed like that. In theory, Man Utd have had an A grade summer because they've shifted out loads of deadwood and brought in loads of big names for big fees. Why do we still feel like they've not addressed their problems though?

I think Everton have done really well and not just "for Everton." Broke the transfer record for one of Europe's top strikers. Brought in a World Cup star under the radar and on the cheap. Signed Barry. Replaced Deulofeu. Brought in goddamn Samuel Eto'o as cover! Not to mention signing up every top young player at the club to a long term deal.

Literally everything went our way this summer on the business front, we got everything on our Christmas list and we're still saying maybe it was a C+ at best because we didn't sign a 3rd right back. Evertonians lol.

Well yeah, but not many are going to think of it framed like that. In theory, Man Utd have had an A grade summer because they've shifted out loads of deadwood and brought in loads of big names for big fees. Why do we still feel like they've not addressed their problems though?

I think Everton have done really well and not just "for Everton." Broke the transfer record for one of Europe's top strikers. Brought in a World Cup star under the radar and on the cheap. Signed Barry. Replaced Deulofeu. Brought in goddamn Samuel Eto'o as cover! Not to mention signing up every top young player at the club to a long term deal.

Literally everything went our way this summer on the business front, we got everything on our Christmas list and we're still saying maybe it was a C+ at best because we didn't sign a 3rd right back. Evertonians lol.

Agree mate. Like I said, context, init.

B+

A very good window all things considered - Lukaku I am ecstatic with and Eto'o was a real coup - but a CB in was required in my opinion. Sure, the defence probably will sort itself out, but I'd rather have not taken the risk and just get good cover in in case it doesn't.

We spent a decent amount of money but honestly - there still should've been a bit more. Maybe there was but Martinez didn't see fit spending it; I'm expecting at least a little bit of a spend in January - £5-10m.

It irks me slightly to see people celebrating the fact no players left of note - seriously? I know we have a history of selling good players but nobody should have been expecting major outgoings this summer - it didn't even cross my mind once. The fact we haven't sold anybody shouldn't be applauded in my opinion.

Anyway, overall, very happy with the window.

C :

Martinez said he wanted to be 5 men stronger than the side he had last season, we're 2 players stronger. I'm reserved on Lukaku still, after the euphoria of Everton not being skint anymore had sunk in, and everyone realised, it was the same Lukaku who loads were criticising for having a shocking touch and dropping out of games too often, then everyone realised we'd paid £28m for him, and i'm not convinced it's a good investment.

He's 21, and i bloody love him, but he's never worth that, and whilst it's imperative to stamp our authority on the league, and make a statement, the opening 3 games of the season, albeit early days, have proved it may prove to be a bad move.

Eto'o has scored more goals than Rom this season, and he's played 8 minutes?

So

Lukaku - Great signing, £28m? Too much... B-
Eto'o - Good signing, free transfer, cheap wages, goal on debut, promising start A-
Besic - £4m is never a bad bit of dealing, that dodgy pass was woeful and his aggression may be costly in Europe C
Galloway - Good Signing for the future, and that can't be balked at. A
Henen - What a mess! C
Barry - Possibly our most important player of last season, great leader and good mentor, but 3 year deal? B
Atsu - Bit of pace, will add crucial depth into the squad, could prove to be a big signing for us. B
----------------------
Overall - C

Vellios, Gueye out? A+

Everton followers on The Graun went for B too:

grauneve.jpg

I gave it an A-.

We should have bought Yedlin as cover for Coleman and we should have got rid of Alcaraz and brought in a 25-27 year old defender who can actually defend for cover.

I also think we needed a Pienaar type player and while I wasn't expecting the above I do genuinely think we where serious in bringing someone in for that spot, probably someone like Carles Gil who's young and technically very good who could feed into the first team over this season. Either that or a Tadic type player who's a bit older but would strengthen the first team.

Ultimately I think in part the player wasn't available and spending 28m on Lukaku limited us with regards to this target which disappoints me as I thought there was more money there.

Ultimately what this means is next summer (because I doubt much will be done in January) we will need 4 or 5 players to replace Osman, Pienaar, Distin, Hibbert, Alcaraz with two of those being of first team starter quality especially if we're in Europe again which is a lot to get in one window.

Hopefully some of the kids like Ledson, Green (could replace Pienaar), Henen (I assume we would have him if wanted) and Browning/Galloway (Distin/Alcaraz) could step up which might make things easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.