Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll finish 5th or 6th.

Yeah we have really winnable games aside from that Man City game at the end - but maybe if everything is on the line, the players will be up for it and it'll be like a final.

I'm not afraid of West Ham in the slightest, they're playing great, but they can be beat. Villa and Wolves are good teams as well, but I think Villa's momentum has slowed since the start of the year. Wolves have been up and down, but they have good players.

They're all big games - but we have to win all/most of them because its going to be very close at the end and we'll all be separated by a couple of points which could be the difference between finishing 4th and 8th.

Well i dont understand how or why were being written off by some...

Chelsea have more games and tougher ones.

Liverpool are all over the place

West Ham are getting injuries and nosebleeds

Spurs who knows...

Only negatives we have are missing Doucoure and the goal difference.

Id think 5th or 6th a very strong first full season from Ancelotti

I think we can win our games, but to finish 4th, we'd really have to have the other teams drop a lot of points. Like if we win 4 of 6, they'd have to go 3 of 6. I don't see us doing better than 4 of 6 wins, especially when our last 5 games before Arsenal we couldn't even win.

And then there's the possibility of all of the teams finishing with basically the same points total and Everton have the worst GD, so im not getting my hopes up.

I think we need a miracle to finish 5th/6th honestly...7th or 8th is probably more likely which can be had with 2 or 3 more wins.

I think we can win our games, but to finish 4th, we'd really have to have the other teams drop a lot of points. Like if we win 4 of 6, they'd have to go 3 of 6. I don't see us doing better than 4 of 6 wins, especially when our last 5 games before Arsenal we couldn't even win.

And then there's the possibility of all of the teams finishing with basically the same points total and Everton have the worst GD, so im not getting my hopes up.

I think we need a miracle to finish 5th/6th honestly...7th or 8th is probably more likely which can be had with 2 or 3 more wins.

We could win all 6, form means nothing to this team. This werid bipolar footballing mystery

West Ham will lose too many Newcastle style games to get 4th. I think they will finish quite close to us, around 5 6 7

I think we could possibly sneak 7th, 6th at a push.

The 3 draws against Palace, Brighton and Spurs has pretty much left us with needing to win every single game for 4th or 5th.

We'd need West Ham v Chelsea to draw, Newcastle to somehow get a result against the rs which I don’t see happening and Spurs to lob in another poor result.

On top of all that, we'd then need to show a lot more against Villa at home next week if we have any intention of getting the 3 points. I just don’t see us stringing the run of wins together that are needed to challenge 4th or 5th

Yeah we have really winnable games aside from that Man City game at the end - but maybe if everything is on the line, the players will be up for it and it'll be like a final.

I'm not afraid of West Ham in the slightest, they're playing great, but they can be beat. Villa and Wolves are good teams as well, but I think Villa's momentum has slowed since the start of the year. Wolves have been up and down, but they have good players.

They're all big games - but we have to win all/most of them because its going to be very close at the end and we'll all be separated by a couple of points which could be the difference between finishing 4th and 8th.

We absolutely still have a chance at the top 4. Its not a large one mind you, but Carlo said we needed 5 wins from the remaining 7, and it looks if we get those that we may possibly get 4th. We need 4 out of 6, so in order to get there we need to beat West Ham, ShefU, Villa, and either Villa again or Wolves. That gets us on 64 if we lose the other two.

Looking on paper, it appears likely Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham and Chelsea all end up around 61-63 points, with obviously West Ham and Chelsea having the advantage to 4th. But, if they draw tomorrow, Chelsea have a brutal schedule to finish things out, and West Ham we can catch just by beating them.

The problem this year as was the problem last year is the number of teams we have to cross. Last year we were sat 10th or whatever but only a few points off the Europa and we swore we could still get it because the deficit is small. But that ignores that we have to outperform 4 out of the 5 of the RS, Leicester, Chelsea, West Ham and Spurs. Leicester's gap is too big to claw back by winning the game in hand too. Plus our abysmal GD is an extra point for everyone else.

Yes, the raw total is close, but we're very big longshots and should be sensible about it.

I'm hoping Doucoure might get back for the last 3. 6th was my target at the start of the season and its still very much on although the head says 7th, however that's cancelled out by the heart saying 4th. We are still in there would love the Barcodes to lift their game one more time today. Chelsea West Ham draw would be nice as it keeps both close to us.

Chelseas games in the run in are not only tough but they have cup games as well.

I hope they destroy West Ham in mind, body and spirit.

We have a chance to catch Chelsea but West Hams games are the easiest now.

If Chelsea beat West Ham and we win against West Ham then were level with them before were both after Chelsea on the home straight.

Insane that we are still in with a chance after the last few games.
Its like a game of bingo this season who picks up points and who drops them anything can happen

6pts off 4th with a game in hand.

Arsenal A
Villa H
West Ham A
Sheff Utd H
Wolves H
City A
+ Villa

I had thought we would need 6 more wins, however recent results mean we may need 5 wins to achieve 4th (looking at other teams fixtures).

One down, Zat.

Four to go ;)

This is one of those seasons that 72 points will give you 2nd place, we once finished with 72 points but 5th, as things stand, 66-67 points will give you 4th place, the good thing about us is we are not drawing lot of games, only 4 draws while United for example have 9 draws, we both won exactly 14 games, we lost 8 and they lost only 4.

With 36 points to play for, we currently have 46, we need 20 points at least to secure 4th, so if we win 7 out of the remaining 12 games we will end up with 67 points at least:

Games that we must win:
Burnley (H)
Palace (H)
Brighton (A)
Villa (H)
Sheffield (H)
Wolves (H)

Games we must at least get a draw:
Spurs (H)
Arsenal (A)
Villa (A)
West Ham (A)

Bonus games:
Chelsea (A)
City (A)

Update: We played 6 games since, we should have got 11 points from those 6 games, we got 6 points only.

As things stand, if we win all our remaining 6 games, we will get 70 points, 66 points is required to finish 4th, so we need 14 points out of possible 18, 4 wins and 2 draws or 5 wins and a defeat.

Remaining 6 games:
Villa (H)
West Ham (A)
Sheffield (H)
Wolves (H)
Villa (A)
City (A)

Good news is that apart from West Ham, all other games are against teams that have nothing to play for

If we beat Villa next week, the West Ham game after that will be the most important game of the season

We really did blow it. We could have been top 4 comfortably if our home form had just been average. But I guess all the teams will be saying that

Status
Not open for further replies.