Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Carlo is keeping us in the mix in the league and saving players like James for the cup game. If e go out of the cup, I'd expect a not fit James to play. 100% he plays against City.

Leicester are catchable, they’ve got so many games with teams around them. We need certain results to go our way to compress that 4th spot. For example, we need Utd to tonk Leicester twice, yes making catching Utd impossible but dragging Leicester into a scrap.

so with some Lady Luck, it’s on, but to qualify we’ll need other results to go our way (cursing that Brighton result)
The fact is tho is we don’t, we need Chelsea to not win 1 game and us to win all 11 games.
We are still well in this hunt but no point worrying about it. Focus should be beating Burnley

Still requires a miracle.

I don't see the point in thinking about it until we're literally in the top 4 again, which won't be until we've won 3 or 4 on the spin.

I would like a 3-0 or 4-0 today if for nothing else it would be nice to be able to relax watching the last 20 minutes. However more realistically we will have to grind out a win which ultimately will be 3 points just the same. We are that far out of it goal difference wise all we need to make sure is we get the points and worry about the performances another time. Get to 62 points 4 wins 4 draws and we are in Europe that is definitely doable. I think we need 69 points for Champions League which is 7 wins 2 draws 2 losses. That will be difficult but the games we have it is possible but we must really win these next 3.

Results this weekend, could this happen?

Leeds Utd 2 - 1 Chelsea
Everton 2 - 0 Burnley
Asrenal 2 - 2 Spurs
Man Utd 3 - 1 West Ham
Wolves 1 - 0 Liverpool

Would put us right back in amongst it with 10 games to go....

1615634866468.png

Leeds Utd 2 - 1 Chelsea
Everton 2 - 0 Burnley
Asrenal 2 - 2 Spurs
Man Utd 3 - 1 West Ham
Wolves 1 - 0 Liverpool

View attachment 121081

You haven't put Leicester result which I expect them to win. If we win I wouldn't mind West Ham nicking a draw at United we would stay behind them on goal difference but it would keep United in the mix. We need this as last thing we want is United secure in 2nd and giving Leicester 3 points late on in the season.

I wouldn't be worried about the results of others right now. We can't rely on our own results. I'm relaxed about today. If we can't beat Burnley, it's game over. People say "every game is not must-win", but when you've just waived the three points against Chelsea, the next game becomes even more critical if genuine hopes of top four are to be credible. That's not to say, even with failure today, that we couldn't go on a run and get "back in there" at some point - but, in reality, we won't be making the top four barring a tremendous run of clinical, reliable consistency between now and May. One game at a time. Win it, and we go on. Anything less, and Carlo can probably start to concentrate on the Cup game and the summer transfer window.

Leeds Utd 2 - 1 Chelsea
Everton 2 - 0 Burnley
Asrenal 2 - 2 Spurs
Man Utd 3 - 1 West Ham
Wolves 1 - 0 Liverpool

View attachment 121081
Honestly I think we have more hope of overtaking Leicester than Chelsea - Tuchel has transformed them into a pretty good team annoyingly

We aren’t finishing top 4 lads.
With Doucure now out & Gambin still seemingly as far away as ever we just don’t have the midfield to get top 4. Think staying in the top 6/7 & getting Europa will be as good as it gets. Unfortunately this would mean little progress v last season although it does feel we have progressed so all a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.