Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Going through remaining fixtures, I have us - being optimistic - as finishing on approx. 65/66 points, which was enough for 4th last year but 6th the year before that.

Chelsea (A) 1pt
Burnley (H) 3pts
Crystal Palace (H) 3pts
Brighton (A) 3pts
Spurs (H) 1 pt
Arsenal (A) 0pts
Villa (H) 1pt
West Ham (A) 1pt
Sheff Utd (H) 3pts
Wolves (H) 3pts
City (A) 0pts

If we take 9 points from the next 12, we're well in it like, but then we have to take a win off either Spurs/Arsenal in the following two fixtures to put us firmly in the front seat for top four. To put into context how unlikely it is though, I don't think we've achieved a run like that in the tail end of a season since the 80s - even in the 72 point season under Martinez we lost three of the last five games (24 points from last 11 games however; repeating that would absolutely get us top four.)
You’ve missed the villa away game

Agreed. Going through remaining fixtures, I have us - being optimistic - as finishing on approx. 65/66 points, which was enough for 4th last year but 6th the year before that.

Chelsea (A) 1pt
Burnley (H) 3pts
Crystal Palace (H) 3pts
Brighton (A) 3pts
Spurs (H) 1 pt
Arsenal (A) 0pts
Villa (H) 1pt
West Ham (A) 1pt
Sheff Utd (H) 3pts
Wolves (H) 3pts
City (A) 0pts

If we take 9 points from the next 12, we're well in it like, but then we have to take a win off either Spurs/Arsenal in the following two fixtures to put us firmly in the front seat for top four. To put into context how unlikely it is though, I don't think we've achieved a run like that in the tail end of a season since the 80s - even in the 72 point season under Martinez we lost three of the last five games (24 points from last 11 games however; repeating that would absolutely get us top four.)

Dont forget we play villa twice.

Not arranged yet ;)

23 points from these 12 games would do it. Missing out on 69 points would be horrendously unlucky and is probably extremely unlikely.

2 points per game on average. So if we were to lose on Monday, we wouldn't be out of it, but we'd simply have to win the next 3, which I think we can, as we've proven we can "find a way" when we need to, against weaker teams recently. I don't think there's any point looking any further forward than that though, as the assumptions start piling up in terms of our injuries, other teams injuries/results etc. A few key injuries and we will probably collapse, not that there's any shame in that at this stage.

Basically, a win on Monday would put us nicely ahead of schedule. A point would also be a cracking result. A loss wouldn't be the end of the world, but our % chances drop from low to... pretty bad.

I'm just happy being involved in the shake up at this point, considering I can't remember a game we've controlled and looked comfortable since the opening spell of the season.

Ancelotti is getting blood out of a stone this season, mixed with more luck than I've ever seen us have over the course of a season. Each game I expect normality to resume, but with each game we manage to get a result, others stumble and we need that to continue.

As we've already beaten Chelsea this season, I see the next game as a bit if a free hit where anything is a huge bonus. The next 3 after that are vital.

I half think that if we did get top 4, that sky and co would twist it to say we got it as we didnt have as many Injuries etc lol, despite us probably having more than most and at at once a lot of the time, But Carlo has showed class and more, than never moaning about it, unlike others a lot of the time

I half think that if we did get top 4, that sky and co would twist it to say we got it as we didnt have as many Injuries etc lol, despite us probably having more than most and at at once a lot of the time, But Carlo has showed class and more, than never moaning about it, unlike others a lot of the time
I couldn't give a - to what sky and co say. We only exist in their eyes as context to whatever the RS are doing.

Lazy, biased coverage pandering to two clubs in a league of twenty. Let them have their salt.

Chelsea (A) 1pt
Burnley (H) 3pts
Crystal Palace (H) 3pts
Brighton (A) 3pts
Spurs (H) 1 pt
Arsenal (A) 0pts
Villa (H) 1pt
West Ham (A) 1pt
Sheff Utd (H) 3pts
Wolves (H) 3pts
City (A) 0pts

Been mentioned but Villa away looking one we can definitely win. That game in hand is yet to be rescheduled but is looking key to every calculation.

Tbh it's setting yourself up to be a hostage to fortune predicting results, incredibly difficult and almost certainly totally wrong, especially with packed schedules, European competition and FA cup meaning fixture congestion galore for some but not for others.

Chelsea (A) 1pt
Burnley (H) 3pts
Crystal Palace (H) 3pts
Brighton (A) 3pts
Spurs (H) 1 pt
Arsenal (A) 0pts
Villa (H) 1pt
West Ham (A) 1pt
Sheff Utd (H) 3pts
Wolves (H) 3pts
City (A) 0pts

That last game. If City make the CL final & have wrapped up the league, I'd expect us to play against a weakened side, and if we have something to play for I can see us getting a shock there. We'll have knocked them out the cup by then.

I think we're more likely to get 0 points in our home games rather than our away games. It's the Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd and Wolves games I worry most about.

I think Man Utd are Catchable as they seemed to have stalled. Leicester without Barnes and Maddison are significantly weakened. Chelsea are wobbly but they're grinding out results. West Ham will get predictable results I feel. I think the RS will either capitulate or go on an amazing run. Spurs could get a run going, especially if Ali and Bale start pinging them in. I think Vila would need to go unbeaten until the end of the season, and they're a one man team whos one man has been injured.

Last edited:
That last game. If City make the CL final & have wrapped up the league, I'd expect us to play against a weakened side, and if we have something to play for I can see us getting a shock there. We'll have knocked them out the cup by then.

I think we're more likely to get 0 points in our home games rather than our away games. It's the Burnley, Palace, Sheff Utd and Wolves games I worry most about.

I think Man Utd are Catchable as they seemed to have stalled. Leicester without Barnes and Maddison are significantly weakened. Chelsea are wobbly but they're grinding out results. West Ham will get predictable results I feel. I think the RS will either capitulate or go on an amazing run. Spurs could get a run going, especially if Ali and Bale start pinging them in. I think Vila would need to go unbeaten until the end of the season, and they're a one man team whos one man has been injured.
If City win tomorrow they go17 clear with 10 to play. Think they would have well wrapped it up by the time they play us. We need to get CL before that game

If City win tomorrow they go17 clear with 10 to play. Think they would have well wrapped it up by the time they play us. We need to get CL before that game
You think they’ll play anywhere near full strength in that game if they have a CL final 7 days later? For me that game is reliant on their CL progression.

Tuchel is a good manager and seems to be getting them going again. They have a very good team too imo. They're defo top 4 material
We have a better chance of a top 4 finish than even that first Martinez season. Think Chelsea will finish 2nd, man United probably have enough about them but could drop off. Think the 4th spot is between us and Spurs to be honest. Unless West Ham can stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.