Tony Kay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harshly treated by the authorities. Quite a player by all accounts, would've been remembered as a Goodison great, almost is anyway.

We certainly harbour no ill feeling regarding his convictions.

Dodgy fker...

Dodgy diamonds, betting scandal, fleeing the country... would take a lot for that be okay...

He did help us win the league....

Top bloke :)

Harshly treated by the authorities. Quite a player by all accounts, would've been remembered as a Goodison great, almost is anyway.

We certainly harbour no ill feeling regarding his convictions.

My Dad who is 75 now reckons he is one of the best players he has seen in a Royal Blue jersey. And he's seen some cracking players in his time.

My Dad who is 75 now reckons he is one of the best players he has seen in a Royal Blue jersey. And he's seen some cracking players in his time.

Your dad is correct. I played in some Mickey Mouse games with Kay and various others from both Merseyside clubs in the late50s/early 60s...others involved were Jim Gabriel, and St. John and Harrower from the RS. This was at the old Silcocks Sports Club in Watts Lane ,Bootle. I was absolute crap and TK used to play superb passes inside the full back for me(winger) to run on to, and I was never quick enough. Kay used to call me 'The Grand Old Man Of Football'..a reference to Stanley Matthews, but I was only around 19 !!. He did cross onto my head once and I hit the bar(easier to score!) .He said 'Unlucky, son' Never forgotten that !. At the same club I worked the bar with him at a few barbeques....he was a nice, friendly guy, good for a laugh about most things.

Banned with 3 other Sheff wed players from any football for life for alleged match fixing in a game where Tony Kay got 9/10 for his performance- Nobby Styles would not have been in the 1966 world cup team as Kay was an established international in that position! My older brother and late father stated he was the best wing half of his era he was that good! The sentence was a wee bit harsh when you see what goofy over the park has done lately!

Banned with 3 other Sheff wed players from any football for life for alleged match fixing in a game where Tony Kay got 9/10 for his performance- Nobby Styles would not have been in the 1966 world cup team as Kay was an established international in that position! My older brother and late father stated he was the best wing half of his era he was that good! The sentence was a wee bit harsh when you see what goofy over the park has done lately!

It was harsh on Kay...he knew the scam was on(Jimmy Gauld was, I think the 'ringleader') and simply had a bet. Have to say though, that having a bet probably effected his performance that day !

...I actually played against him once. He was well past his best but I remember he was hard as nails. When most blokes kick you it doesn't hurt, but that wasn't the case with Tony Kay. Don't want to unveil any unknown family detail, but the last time I came across him was in 1978 running a bar called Big Bens in Benidorm. Best not say anymore, eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.