Tony Cottee on TalkSport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised you actually saw any in the crowd to point out to your missus, they're normally propped up against a wall in the gents bogs, with a crowd of smoke above their " yoof " perms lol
I found watching them far more interesting than the match actually.
They didn't seem to watch much footy, just whispering to eachother and laughing a lot.
I'd have loved to have been a ket wigger back in my youth.. looks ace.

I found watching them far more interesting than the match actually.
They didn't seem to watch much footy, just whispering to eachother and laughing a lot.
I'd have loved to have been a ket wigger back in my youth.. looks ace.

I think they'll heavily regret having had a "yoof perm " some time in the near future though lol

Speaking of fan behaviour...

Was anybody else at Brighton sat near a shouty idiotic 14yo who didn't shut up the whole game with calling players shyte or a waste of money or repeating loudly whatever the generic fan criticism of said player was. "Youre shyte you are Gana" Or when not doing that was shouting the most basic instructions out of football fan school. "Play it forwaaaaard"

The most bizarre part was amongst the constant stream of abuse at all the players he would respond to any mistake by DCL by shouting "well in Dom, good effort" or "good commitment".

I looked around a few times to see if his grandad seemed bothered by it, but nope, it all seemed normal to him.

Then in the row behind there was a young lad of around 20 with a curly mop of hair, with his embarrassed missus, who kicked off after their goal until the pen was scored. He basically repeated the same sentences over and over and kicked the chair for a good few minutes. I was worried for his missus!

"You're a fraud, a fkn fraud"
"150mil for this shyte"
"Fk right off ye Dutch [Poor language removed]"
"Paying good money week in and week out for this shyte. Fk off"

This was on a constant loop between the two goals with him shouting louder and louder.

People talk about fans having passion but for me the above were your stereotype attention seeker and serious life frustration/anger issues.

I don't know if it was noticed but when the Brighton fans sang Sacked in the morning the away fans joined in. Unfortunately he didn't get sacked in the morning. They should have sung it better.

Was anybody else at Brighton sat near a shouty idiotic 14yo who didn't shut up the whole game with calling players shyte or a waste of money or repeating loudly whatever the generic fan criticism of said player was. "Youre shyte you are Gana" Or when not doing that was shouting the most basic instructions out of football fan school. "Play it forwaaaaard"

The most bizarre part was amongst the constant stream of abuse at all the players he would respond to any mistake by DCL by shouting "well in Dom, good effort" or "good commitment".

I looked around a few times to see if his grandad seemed bothered by it, but nope, it all seemed normal to him.

Then in the row behind there was a young lad of around 20 with a curly mop of hair, with his embarrassed missus, who kicked off after their goal until the pen was scored. He basically repeated the same sentences over and over and kicked the chair for a good few minutes. I was worried for his missus!

"150mil for this shyte"

This was on a constant loop between the two goals with him shouting louder and louder.

People talk about fans having passion but for me the above were your stereotype attention seeker and serious life frustration/anger issues.

I don't know if it was noticed but when the Brighton fans sang Sacked in the morning the away fans joined in. Unfortunately he didn't get sacked in the morning. They should have sung it better.
To be honest, I've been there, I had a curly mop of hair when a similar age, I used to get angry at loads of things n kick off for no particular reason. I now have a number one all over (deffo in bald denial) As a consequence I'm a lot more chilled n hardly ever get angry. Throw soft lad a pair of clippers next time ya see him could be life changing for him.

I’m not saying he didn’t mate , not swinging the lamp but I don’t think I missed a game Home or away for about 8/10 years then so I was there for every goal he scored I reckon . I’m just saying that was the perception of the fella as I recall it. I certainly remember the 4-4 goals with some particular glee. Let’s face it lukaku scored against arsenal , Liverpool , city and Chelsea but didn’t score in big games apparently.

Edit : in my defence I am now in my late 40’s and also pretty punchy, so If im wrong don’t hate on me .

Ha.

You are a mere slip of a boy to us over 60s :dance:

I remember standing on decrepit terracing on a rainy winter Sunday afternoon at Chelsea when TC missed a flaming penno which saw us eliminated from the F.A. Cup :mad:

There is a school of thought that there is a correlation between the on the field antics and the attitude of the crowd such as : The team play poorly > the crowd get annoyed > the crowd scream and shout negative things > the players pick up on the negativity > the players get scared and play poorly, afraid to make a mistake > the fans get more frustrated and scream more negative things .....

Then there is another school of thought that the players are so focused on what is happening on the pitch, that they have no idea what the fans are screaming and shouting.

Either way, it’s really down to the players for me, often when we are playing badly it doesn’t take much to get the crowd at Goodison onside, a good tackle, a positive piece of play or some signs from the players that they are actually giving it a go and the fans will be positive too

A few things I’ve learned from this thread today:

- People don’t fact check and just fly off the handle instead

- People love to hate things. Any excuse for a sweaty rant, eh?

- Tony Cottee is sound

How do I know all this, I hear you cry? Because I made it up. Cottee did ring TalkSport but he didn’t mention the fans at all. Did he fk.

Cheers lads. It’s been thoroughly enjoyable.x

WOW. That's game right there.

Ha.

You are a mere slip of a boy to us over 60s :dance:

I remember standing on decrepit terracing on a rainy winter Sunday afternoon at Chelsea when TC missed a flaming penno which saw us eliminated from the F.A. Cup :mad:

Well at least we’re fortunate to have seen the good times but I do wonder , to steal a song line “ If i hasn’t seen such riches I could live with being poor “ .

I wasn’t particularly having a go at the fella but Back to TC and the flat track bully allegations in a bid to back up my failing memory I had a look both in a stats book and online. A good proportion of his goals were in cup competitions including the likes of the Zenith Data Systems which kind of supports my theory, although it might not have been the best phrase . The year he got 20 his goalscoring breaks down as :

10 League, 2 FA Cup, 4 League Cup, 8 ZDS

"150mil for this shyte"

At the very same game there was a group say behind me, the leader of which- probs mid40s- had the squeakiest voice I think I've ever heard.
Anyway, he was doing the same. Abusing players he dislikes for whatever reason one minute and then starting arguments with other fans when they dared to show any sort of disgruntling with his favourites, Sig being one of them.
He kicked off when we clapped Shane Duffy when he went off injured.
The point I'm making is, everyone can have an opinion and general noise at a football ground is normal and part of the atmosphere. Some though, want to take it too far, turning a good atmosphere into a toxic one, aiming bile at players and fans.
As another poster said, is it any wonder lads like Klaassen and Sandro have had it tough. Along with the dithering manager they are finding they've been lumped with a fan base section who seem to want to turn the screw rather than console and gee up.

I don’t listen to TalkSport mate. Was this not accurate then?

I do, but not before 10.00 am.

But if a guest on the Alan Brazil breakfast show says anything of note, the later presenters, Jim White especially, do often reference it during their shows/makes it into sport bulletins.

And didnt hear a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.