Tommy Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy vernon

Player Valuation: £35m
Tommy just Received an Everton award, I just wondered how many arl arses, like me, remember what a wonderful right back he was, the best I have seen by a country mile. A better attacking full back than Coleman and the sort of full back,that no winger fancied playing against. Loved Tommy I did and still think the best fullback partnership,of all time at club level was Wright and Wilson.
Sorry lads, I know it must sound to you like us arl arses are always going on about the 60's and 70's but anyone who was there will understand the Calibre of player we had in those days.

Tommy just Received an Everton award, I just wondered how many arl arses, like me, remember what a wonderful right back he was, the best I have seen by a country mile. A better attacking full back than Coleman and the sort of full back,that no winger fancied playing against. Loved Tommy I did and still think the best fullback partnership,of all time at club level was Wright and Wilson.
Sorry lads, I know it must sound to you like us arl arses are always going on about the 60's and 70's but anyone who was there will understand the Calibre of player we had in those days.
I am one them arl arses. You don't see this type player anymore. Hibbo had his slide tackle skills but precious little else. Wright was automatic for selection by Catterick and was so solid for both club and country. Ray Wilson was another outstanding old fashioned full back. Keith Newton late to the party wasn't a slouch himself all great players.

I am one them arl arses. You don't see this type player anymore. Hibbo had his slide tackle skills but precious little else. Wright was automatic for selection by Catterick and was so solid for both club and country. Ray Wilson was another outstanding old fashioned full back. Keith Newton late to the party wasn't a slouch himself all great players.
From a fellow arl arse Tommy was a class full back model of consistency week in week out.Best right back I've seen for us Gary Stevens,didn't rate Hibbo I'm afraid or Keith Newton.

Before I get into details let me say that Tommy deserves every award and was unlucky with injuries that stopped him before his 'time'

I saw both Parker and Wright, who was a worthy successor, once he got a few games under his belt.
He may have even been a tad better all-round than Coleman and he was definitely better defensively...But a better attacking FB than Coleman, nah mate, take off your Royal Blue Hindsight Specs.

and that's before you even add Gary Stevens in to the mix.

I know the bald stats can be shown to prove...or disprove quite a lot, but with only 4 goals Wright is behind Stevens in the 'attacking stakes' with 8 (+8 for rangers, 1 for Tranmere )
and Coleman 15 (+ 1 for Blackpool and 2 for ROI)

As to where the 3 of them rank overall Vs each other is the devils own decision. Parker is still acknowledged as 'Best' and I would call it a dead heat for the 3 of them just behind him
But it's all so subjective now as the game (and, no doubt, I too will have my own version of Blue specs) has moved on since Parker was at his peak.
I'm just glad we had a chance to watch an Everton Great.

I've heard it said that george best reckoned Tommy was the best full back he faced in his career,I managed a few months back to watch the famous pele header,banks save world cup game in Mexico and amongst all the legends on the pitch I've got to say Tommy wright was far and away the best player on the pitch:)

...fine player and a formidable, long-term full back partner with the truly world class Ray Wilson. I have to agree with @degsy view regarding Stevens and Coleman, Stevens had fantastic athleticism and ability at both ends of the pitch and whilst Tommy Wright was a better defender than Coleman I don't think he had the same attacking dimension to his game.

Regardless, Wright won England caps when they were hard to come by and played in a couple of great Everton sides. A fine footballer from a by-gone era and a fine Evertonian, and truly worthy of any award.

Firstly, don't apologise for reminiscing over matters like this its the likes of you and I who provide the continuity required to remind others that before that lot, there was us!.
You are blob on with your description on Tommy, vastly underated and skilful with it. Excellent defender who George Best hated playing against. I loved the guy.

Firstly, don't apologise for reminiscing over matters like this its the likes of you and I who provide the continuity required to remind others that before that lot, there was us!.
You are blob on with your description on Tommy, vastly underated and skilful with it. Excellent defender who George Best hated playing against. I loved the guy.

...I understand he went on to work at Garson Docks when his playing days were over, I doubt many of today's players will be found there.

This is when you know your a legend of Everton when folk are still discussing the quality of performances 50 years on. Must be a great feeling that knowing that people still love talking about you.

Always enjoy these threads, boss for the likes of me who didn't have the privilege of seeing them. Some videos that have been posted in here ( such as the one with Young playing and we win the mancs 3-1 ) are absolutely superb.

I've heard nothing but praise for Tommy as a player, didn't our fans have a song for him as well?

I believe he received a bad injury that all but ended his career?

This is when you know your a legend of Everton when folk are still discussing the quality of performances 50 years on. Must be a great feeling that knowing that people still love talking about you.

Always enjoy these threads, boss for the likes of me who didn't have the privilege of seeing them. Some videos that have been posted in here ( such as the one with Young playing and we win the mancs 3-1 ) are absolutely superb.
I have that Alex Young game saved on favourites. What a masterclass from both him and the team itself.
The goal at the Park End where he shuffles the ball from one side to the other was sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.