Tommy Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked with Tommy at the coal terminal on Garston docks a few years ago. Great bloke, loved to tell stories of the '70 world cup in Mexico playing tricks on Nobby Stiles !

Jack Charlton tells one about Tommy making up for 'lost time' on the plane back from Mexico. He carried on a case of beer (12/24?) and drunk the lot on the flight home.

Tommy just Received an Everton award, I just wondered how many arl arses, like me, remember what a wonderful right back he was, the best I have seen by a country mile. A better attacking full back than Coleman and the sort of full back,that no winger fancied playing against. Loved Tommy I did and still think the best fullback partnership,of all time at club level was Wright and Wilson.
Sorry lads, I know it must sound to you like us arl arses are always going on about the 60's and 70's but anyone who was there will understand the Calibre of player we had in those days.
Agree with every word,and yes I'm an arl arse as well

Besty did say that mate.

My first job was near where he had his clothes boutique in Manchester, just off Deansgate, and one evening while waiting for my bus home, I wandered over to speak to him - he was sat on the doorstep and always had time to chat - and I asked him about the toughest team he played against.

I fully expected him to say Don Revie's Leeds, but he didn't, he reckoned Everton were right up there as the toughest opponents, not dirty (that surely would have been Leeds), just robust in the tackle and hard to break down. He mentioned (glowingly) the Holy Trinity and TW as one of the very best/toughest opponents he had to face.

Much as I always hated Manu, I could never hate Besty or Denis Law - unbelievable footballers both.

Different World back then .....Remember Georgie boy getting some stick from some cretin in the enclosure .....Walked off the pitch and gave the cretin it all back to rapturous applause from Everton fans .

Alex the master of the sliding tackle I believe, when Wright showed ability HC just sold our captain HC was great and ruthless , but never got it right over Collins and Ball!
Catterick did say that selling Alan Ball was his biggest mistake and he was totally correct but his selling of Collins was another poop !

Great signed photo of Tommy getting help with cramp from Pele in the World cup match in Dave's barbers shop in Garston.

Cracking name there mate;
Christmas day in the Matchworks, we'd all, well all the men and kids, would go there supposedly to get us out of the way 'while you sort the dinner and that love' Billy Owen was my favourite Uncle, he'd sing the same song up on the stage every year (don't laugh at me coz I'm a fool) then go around and 'extort' money out of everybody as a whip round for the Staff. It was through him I became a Blue

Cracking name there mate;
Christmas day in the Matchworks, we'd all, well all the men and kids, would go there supposedly to get us out of the way 'while you sort the dinner and that love' Billy Owen was my favourite Uncle, he'd sing the same song up on the stage every year (don't laugh at me coz I'm a fool) then go around and 'extort' money out of everybody as a whip round for the Staff. It was through him I became a Blue
My mum was always there for the bingo. L.M.S for me dad. It was through him I became a red. A real shame when men like Tommy had to go to work on the docks when some of these clowns are set for life after two contracts.

Great interview Tommy with Big Joe on the Everton show.

the everton show youtube
Enjoyed that as was said could have listened to that for another 30 minutes, Tommy was as Moggsy was were very underrated players in a great footballing side playing 4 3 3 even the two centre backs could play - Hurst imo was a demon at the back casually strolling into midfield to link up and scored vital goals in a classic way - Tommy had thigh like tree trunks nothing got past him much and his overlapping was brilliant;)
great link thanks enjoyed it from 22 mins on ;)
The poinanat point Joe made of having local players in the side was nailed on he did that with Unsy last game last season where are they now??????

Status
Not open for further replies.