2021/22 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Steve McMahon was a sensational youngster bursting into the blues side ....doh like David Johnson sold far too quickly .....too cheap ......

Tom needs a settled midfield - playing further up the pitch - his last goal was really well taken ...= dropped....

He was awful for the rest of that game, probably why he was dropped.

It was coached out of him - years of not managing him properly and playing him in too many midfield roles. Unable to put a stamp in a proper midfield role, he wasn't able to develop properly. Davies has been tried in many midfield roles over the years - Attacking Mid, Box-to-box and No. 6 - either by choice or necessity. It would've been better if he sticks to one main role and provides cover for another. It could be also down to him, not being assertive to the coach. Benitez seems to be playing him further up the pitch and we are seeing him making some impact but just flashes, really.

He was never a player with world class talent to begin with but there are less talented players that went on to be really good players. I think if he was coached and managed properly over the past 4 years, we could be seeing a different Tom Davies
Have to disagree. For me he just doesnt have the football ability to make it as a top footballer. Forgetting his position on the pitch and even decision making all his techniqual ability is poor.

Have to disagree. For me he just doesnt have the football ability to make it as a top footballer. Forgetting his position on the pitch and even decision making all his techniqual ability is poor.
Not saying he could've become a top footballer. But I think with the right coaching, there is a chance, he could've become a good squad player. Football is a squad game these days. I don't mind a strong squad player coming through the academy...but it's just a what-if scenario.

On individual level, yes, I agree his technical ability is poor. And sadly, Tom Davies is not a good enough cover for Allan or Doucoure. And we could easily come up with players who is a definite upgrade to Davies.

Your opinion he would settle in a good Everton midfield imo
As what though? this is the problem with him, he has played now for the best part of 7 seasons and well over 100 games and what position would he play in your "settled midfield" Joey. Given that Tom has no real desirable/standout qualities for a CM. I like him but he needs to move on for the good of his career and show what he can do, he is surviving here because of family connections and the fact he is local.

The tale was told that a certain famous RS manager in years gone by asked the chief scout if a player the RS were looking at was good enough. The answer began with "Well, err.." The scout got no further, and that was the end of the matter as far as BS was concerned.
Davies? Well, err.

As what though? this is the problem with him, he has played now for the best part of 7 seasons and well over 100 games and what position would he play in your "settled midfield" Joey. Given that Tom has no real desirable/standout qualities for a CM. I like him but he needs to move on for the good of his career and show what he can do, he is surviving here because of family connections and the fact he is local.
We have had a very poor team in that time - his family do not hold positions at the Club .... so keep on picking on local lads with the dross midfielders we purchased from abroad.... at a hefty price.....

We have had a very poor team in that time - his family do not hold positions at the Club .... so keep on picking on local lads with the dross midfielders we purchased from abroad.... at a hefty price.....
He is part of that poor team and one of the biggest culprits. I never said his family hold positions did I? I said he has connections in that his uncle obviously played for us. He gets time simply because he is a local lad not because he is a good player. No idea why you are trying to bring in other players to the conversation as this is about Tom, are you trying to say we should just have a team full of local lads? because yeah good luck with that.

He is part of that poor team and one of the biggest culprits. I never said his family hold positions did I? I said he has connections in that his uncle obviously played for us. He gets time simply because he is a local lad not because he is a good player. No idea why you are trying to bring in other players to the conversation as this is about Tom, are you trying to say we should just have a team full of local lads? because yeah good luck with that.
He was made Captain ......

To be fair Joey, I like Tom, wish him all the best and that. I take your point he's palyed in rubbish teams but so have Richarlison, and DCL, similar age to Davies but ultimately their quality shows through even when we are garbage.

Davies is nowhere near as bad as people make out but the bottom line is that the lad still after 100 games for us doesn't have a single standout quality / trait attribute. He's just painfully average.

Status
Not open for further replies.