2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
End up another Pennington,mid 20s having around the U23s

I loved the idea that he was going to go on loan to improve. Absolutely no chance. He was always going to do a Besic / Bolasie and sit the season out having a laugh.

I loved the idea that he was going to go on loan to improve. Absolutely no chance. He was always going to do a Besic / Bolasie and sit the season out having a laugh.
Im all for loaning players out,as I said in the earlier post I'd rather see the likes of Simms in proper competitive games than having a kick about in the u23s,Tom I think is happy with his lot,decent wage plenty of free time,why would he consider going out on loan,some players are lucky they are at a decent enough level to play proffessionally,it does mean they like it,it a means to making a living

....remember those lazy posts in the DCL thread not long ago.

There's a big difference between the players.

In DCL's case, he had all the physical attributes you could want but no end product. It's not real likely that a striker is going to suddenly find that at age 22-23, but it happened for Sterling, so there was always a chance.

With Davies, I don't see something for him to suddenly develop. He's not particularly good on the ball or off. In general, a top class midfielder is world-class at something. Xavi was amazing at maintaining possession and teeing people up. Iniesta's throughballs were filthy. Lampard and Gerrard were world-class at scoring from range in addition to delivering on the creative and defensive fronts.

I haven't seen Davies show flashes of having the cannon, the vision or the speed to develop into a world-class skill. The fact that he can't get in over Gomez and Sigurdsson, both of whom present major defensive liabilities, is telling.

If he was any good he’d be in the team. And if he was any good we would have had some offers for him in the summer after signing two centre mids.

....I’m not advocating him being in the team, he’s been a big disappointment. I just think the ’Championship Player’ descriptor is lazy and ill informed.

Just because a player isn’t playing well or fitting here doesn’t mean he might be just what another team wants, regardless of level.

A crab is a player who goes sideways. Davies isn't that at least, he always looks to go forward (usually whilst giving the ball away needlessly).

He is different to the other two, he moves around a bit too at least.

Don't get me wrong he is probably a different type of rubbish to the other two but he is at least somewhat more dynamic.

(Personally I would play Besic ahead of any of them but whatever...)
Can agree with all you say except for Besic
Toms main problem for me is that he has no physical presence. Easily brushed off the ball so he is always having problems controlling the ball and giving a pass.
Id love him to build himself up in the gym because I think with more strength he would become a better player

There's a big difference between the players.

In DCL's case, he had all the physical attributes you could want but no end product. It's not real likely that a striker is going to suddenly find that at age 22-23, but it happened for Sterling, so there was always a chance.

With Davies, I don't see something for him to suddenly develop. He's not particularly good on the ball or off. In general, a top class midfielder is world-class at something. Xavi was amazing at maintaining possession and teeing people up. Iniesta's throughballs were filthy. Lampard and Gerrard were world-class at scoring from range in addition to delivering on the creative and defensive fronts.

I haven't seen Davies show flashes of having the cannon, the vision or the speed to develop into a world-class skill. The fact that he can't get in over Gomez and Sigurdsson, both of whom present major defensive liabilities, is telling.
I really don't see the difference in circumstances between Tom Davies and DCL. Even last season when DCL was doing very well there were more people critical of him than supporting and prior to that most would have been happy to send him to the first division... the potential of DCL was simply not obvious to a lot and to suggest now that it was is rewriting history.

Tom Davies may or may not be a success at Everton but basing it on the opinion of posters on here is a very flawed way to assess a player based on the progress of DCL.

Would happily play him over Gomes or Sigurdsson

Who if we are honest are only fit for the meat grinder. Both terrible footballers, who have been stealing livings before Everton and continue to do so now.

He's not good enough, but he's better than the above mentioned. He can actually run.

....I’m not advocating him being in the team, he’s been a big disappointment. I just think the ’Championship Player’ descriptor is lazy and ill informed.

Just because a player isn’t playing well or fitting here doesn’t mean he might be just what another team wants, regardless of level

He hasn’t played well for about three years mate. Makes you wonder if this league is too much for him and he needs to take a step down.

He hasn’t played well for about three years mate. Makes you wonder if this league is too much for him and he needs to take a step down.
So in that case, he earns as much money ( Everton ) as he can, without the risk of injury, and once absolutely set for life, goes and plays a bit of footy for Preston or someone.

Can’t blame the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.