2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the Man City goal really isn't it, When he done that the expectations were all piled on to him, I think we've let him down by not getting him out on loan to see what he can do playing week in week out, Just no consistency with the lad he looks cool and calm one game then next game he can't even control the ball properly.

I think the quote from Carlo also sums up what other managers have said and is both Tom’s strength and his weakness - he does exactly what his manager wants him to do .

It makes him an ideal substitute if we need something specific like closing down the game, covering a position caused through injury. The weakness is a lack of ability to do something completely unexpected from a situation , something different. Managers send on Tom to close out a game or reinforce a system , you wouldn’t send him on to win a tight game with a touch of brilliance.
Carlo knows what he wants from him and what he’s able to deliver. I‘m content to leave the decisions with Carlo, he‘ll play him when he feels he has something to offer , leave him out when he doesn’t .

I disagree. I remember toward the end of the Silva reign he was the only player in the middle of the park that looked for the ball and went forward with it. I think there's a lot to his game that we're going to see with Allan coming into the side and being the Gueye replacement we sorely missed last season.

Time will tell citizen, but good to see you supporting him. ;)

In all honesty, thought folk were going way OTT about him in his first couple of seasons. I knew people who genuinely wanted him in the team instead of Ross Barkley. He was nowhere near as good as people thought he was and he’s inevitably been unable to meet expectations.

In addition to unrealistic expectations, Big Nev is spot on that he’s basically had to try to find his way amidst the chaos that has been our club for the last four years. A revolving cast of managers, formations, players, different roles in the team, it’s hardly ideal and little wonder he’s struggled to carve out a niche for himself. The strong midfield we now have will be good for him, when he gets a chance he’s coming into a team playing well and with top players around him. What a difference that’ll make to the last four years.

I’ve certainly not written him off, think he’s still well capable of becoming a very good player for Everton.

I still think Tom needs a season away on loan, like JJK, then judge him. He’s been poorly managed and hasn’t been coached to one position, plus some of the outside toilets around him.
needs fresh air away from EFC to mature
Wondering this now too, having seen Barkley doing so well at Villa, Chelsea have played it right, he will develop more there then on Chelsea bench, maybe we should of done the same with Tom

Carlos says he is a great utility player who can step in and play to instruction
He is 22
The Professor believes in him and will no doubt improve him
Those of you still suggesting he needs a season on loan give your heads a Wobble... he will develop no better anywhere in the world than with our current setup and Allan and Dacoure and James to learn from
He’s just about to step up

Wondering this now too, having seen Barkley doing so well at Villa, Chelsea have played it right, he will develop more there then on Chelsea bench, maybe we should of done the same with Tom

...I expect Chelsea had no thought about ‘developing’ Barkley, they sent him out because Lampard had no intention of using him. Like most loan deals, Barkley was surplus to requirements.

I think a loan may have given him playing time which could have helped him but keeping him here might work out better as he can play several positions. I think he has taken over from Ebbrell and Osman as that player who come through the academy and never quite made any position there own. These players try really hard but tend to get criticism whatever they do. If Godfrey picks up an injury Davies is the only person in squad with experience at right back. Even our u23 right back is injured.

We will need Tom Davies this season plenty of times with our injury prone midfield...

Gomes,Delph,Gbamin,Allan...

Would have been ill advised to ship him out on loan totally nonsensicle...

I wonder how close he came to being left out of the 25 man squad

honestly I don’t reckon that close. he has gotten loads of game time (we’ll see if this continues) and at times our midfield felt like it needed his brand of energy. But he has been replaced by two players in his spot.. but local lad.. still young.. Carlo I feel wouldn’t want to toss him to the wolves yet

I think a loan may have given him playing time which could have helped him but keeping him here might work out better as he can play several positions. I think he has taken over from Ebbrell and Osman as that player who come through the academy and never quite made any position there own. These players try really hard but tend to get criticism whatever they do. If Godfrey picks up an injury Davies is the only person in squad with experience at right back. Even our u23 right back is injured.
I'm not sure that Leon would agree that he didn't make a position his own. He was a regular starter for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.