2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's hard work.

How many times is he MOTM?

How many times does he stand out?

How many times does he do *something*

Can he play any purposeful ball forward? Is he capable of ever scoring or contributing regularly? If not - what does he offer off the ball?

He's just... meh to me.

I don't even have a problem with him not standing out or doing *something*, my problem is that he doesn't seem to do his job. Plenty of players can go about and *do their job* without flash and fanfare but are solid and consistent.

Tom Davies does neither. He doesn't track midfield runners, he doesn't run box to box, never in the box or supporting an attack, he doesn't make himself available to defenders when playing out from the back. He never tried to lose his marker he is always hiding next to them and using it as an excuse not to receive the ball. When he does have the ball he rarely looks to get it forward it's always backwards or sideways and a lot of times he'll give it to an opposing player.

If he made himself available to get ball from defenders and get it forward that would solve so many of our problems. He doesn't have the IQ or willingness to do anything.

I don't even have a problem with him not standing out or doing *something*, my problem is that he doesn't seem to do his job. Plenty of players can go about and *do their job* without flash and fanfare but are solid and consistent.

Tom Davies does neither. He doesn't track midfield runners, he doesn't run box to box, never in the box or supporting an attack, he doesn't make himself available to defenders when playing out from the back. He never tried to lose his marker he is always hiding next to them and using it as an excuse not to receive the ball. When he does have the ball he rarely looks to get it forward it's always backwards or sideways and a lot of times he'll give it to an opposing player.

Yeah that's what I mean really by 'If not - what does he offer off the ball?"

It's basic stuff and I say the same with Gomes but if a midfielder doesn't offer anything really on the ball, they have to do a job off it.

Tom Davies having to be taken off against a team that yo-yos between the Championship and League One tells you everything you need to know

To be fair to Carlo, I don't think he's choosing to give players who have failed over and over again further chances to fail once more.

After recent performances, and today's bravura display, the gun is very much to the head of Marcel Brands's credibility now. We have a world-class manager, a footballing Picasso, and we are giving him broken Crayola's to create with.

Really disappointed in him today, I wouldn’t be one for regularly hanging Tom, but I can’t abide lack of fight and will. The chain of events for the goal showed that lack.

The telling bit was Keane reaction to him after it.

Thought he'd nearly pulled off a Bergkamp-esque touch on the half way line but ended up just giving it away in a dangerous position.

If he played down in the Championship I think he'd really struggle. For the amount of time we've persisted with him we deserve to be seeing a lot more.

Both Gomes and Davies are a walking yellow card too. More often than not in the prem, their severe lack of pace gets them into trouble and they have to foul their opponent. Does my head in.

Status
Not open for further replies.