2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his youth in comparison to our other options I assumed he'd play most matches after the restart.

When I watch him play he just seems to be there. When he comes off the pitch I never have the impression he's left it all out there, which I would expect from any player especially a boyhood supporter living a dream come true.
From the 1st minute to the last just looks not arsed , doesnt even break sweat.
Truly terrible player.

There was a spot in the second half when we were "only" down 2-0 and the ball popped up in the air to him outside Wolves' box. All he had to do was a simple light weighted pop back in but he absolutely sky'ed it. I genuinely think it took more effort to do that than to simply put it back in to the box softly..

Absolutely right mate. And yet after three more games, him and DCL will head off somewhere nice and just take the piss all summer. Lots of weirdos will call him a "Scouse King" on Instagram and he'll be back to give us more of the same next season.

I honestly don't even think he's of the level to start 30+ games for a Championship side that's serious about trying to get promoted. He's simply too lightweight and doesn't think quick enough, nor does he have loads of natural ability to score the odd worldie or assist. He's been protected and indulged here for years now, going to a side down there would be a massive culture shock. If youngsters don't hit the ground running most managers just tend to bin them off and they end up returning having regressed.

Looks tailor-made for Bundesliga where they seem to love hipster players regardless. Let a club out there have him because he'll never cut in the PL.

Last edited:

Let's take the entire set of midfield players.

Walcott (31)
Iwobi (24)
Gomes (27)
Sigurdsson (30)
Davies (22)
Baningime (21)
Gordon (19)
Bernard (27)

I'm not going to include Delph or Gbamin, because what's the point?

For any manager, this is quite frankly, an appaling set of players to be able to choose from to field a competitive PŁ midfield. The fact we have managed to even get safe, is quite frankly, a miracle.

For a start, it will be impossible to replace all these players in 1 window. Financial limitations as well as logistical. And some of them will be nearly impossible to shift.

But of all those listed, the only ones I believe that are worth keeping, when factoring in wages, contribution, attitude, age, ability, effectiveness, value and potential for Ancelotti to mould into something moving forward, would be Gordon 1st, and Davies would be 2nd. Gomes I'm still undecided on. I could go either way. He obviously has some quality, and I would be interested to see what Ancelotti could do with him if he found a place for him or the right partner. But its a worry, and if we could get anything approaching what we paid for him, I think we'd have a decision to make.

But with Davies, like I said before, he should be, and probably is, way down the list of priorities to get rid of. He's getting it with both barrels at the moment because we are poor, fatigued and have minimal options to mix it up, and he is an easy target. But there are much bigger problems, and drains on our resources than him.

I do think a loan would do him good though.

Let's take the entire set of midfield players.

Walcott (31)
Iwobi (24)
Gomes (27)
Sigurdsson (30)
Davies (22)
Baningime (21)
Gordon (19)
Bernard (27)

I'm not going to include Delph or Gbamin, because what's the point?

For any manager, this is quite frankly, an appaling set of players to be able to choose from to field a competitive PŁ midfield. The fact we have managed to even get safe, is quite frankly, a miracle.

For a start, it will be impossible to replace all these players in 1 window. Financial limitations as well as logistical. And some of them will be nearly impossible to shift.

But of all those listed, the only ones I believe that are worth keeping, when factoring in wages, contribution, attitude, age, ability, effectiveness, value and potential for Ancelotti to mould into something moving forward, would be Gordon 1st, and Davies would be 2nd. Gomes I'm still undecided on. I could go either way. He obviously has some quality, and I would be interested to see what Ancelotti could do with him if he found a place for him or the right partner. But its a worry, and if we could get anything approaching what we paid for him, I think we'd have a decision to make.

But with Davies, like I said before, he should be, and probably is, way down the list of priorities to get rid of. He's getting it with both barrels at the moment because we are poor, fatigued and have minimal options to mix it up, and he is an easy target. But there are much bigger problems, and drains on our resources than him.

I do think a loan would do him good though.

Well, I suppose it's a sign if the times that it has taken nearly 10 hours for an excuse for Davies to have first appeared.

If Davies - as a centre mid, and arguably the worst central midfield unit in the league - isn't riiiiight at the top of the targets for replacement, we'll be in the bottom half again next year.

There was a spot in the second half when we were "only" down 2-0 and the ball popped up in the air to him outside Wolves' box. All he had to do was a simple light weighted pop back in but he absolutely sky'ed it. I genuinely think it took more effort to do that than to simply put it back in to the box softly..

this.

I can’t process to being a good footie player... I fact I’m downright awful, but I know the basics. For a pro earning thousands a week to just blast it over into the stand, is ridiculous insane.

League one standard, if his name is Mo Besic he’s left already.

this.

I can’t process to being a good footie player... I fact I’m downright awful, but I know the basics. For a pro earning thousands a week to just blast it over into the stand, is ridiculous insane.

League one standard, if his name is Mo Besic he’s left already.

Tbf Mo Besic hasn’t even left yet

Davies isn’t good enough - can’t believe he has played a 100 games for us ‍♂️

Tbf Mo Besic hasn’t even left yet

Davies isn’t good enough - can’t believe he has played a 100 games for us ‍♂

But he’s on loan, how’s he worse than Davies?
Oh but Davies is scouse so he keeps his place and starts! Abomination of a footballer.

Well, I suppose it's a sign if the times that it has taken nearly 10 hours for an excuse for Davies to have first appeared.

If Davies - as a centre mid, and arguably the worst central midfield unit in the league - isn't riiiiight at the top of the targets for replacement, we'll be in the bottom half again next year.

Not saying his position shouldn't be up for grabs. I made that quite clear in this, and the earlier post which you also replied to, that the midfield in its entirety isn't good enough. But I do think he's being made the scape goat here, and of all the midfield players at our disposal, he would be near the bottom of the list in terms of who I'd be looking to get rid of.

He is someone who could flourish with a different set of players or a different set up. I can't say that for most of the others. He also costs us a lot less than the others too.

And again, I do believe a loan would do him good.

Status
Not open for further replies.