2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not comparing either. However Winks has only become anything approaching a regular this season. Partly down to injury, but mainly down to ability.

The relevance this has to Davies is it's a worthwhile context when evaluating a players performance at age 20. Very few play regularly.

I've just had a quick look at it shows he has missed 27 games due to injury over the last 3 seasons. Not an inconsequential amount but by no means whole seasons disrupted.

He could have played in over 100 games, so subtracting the 27 he has missed he has over 70 games he's been available to start for in that time. A quick look at the stats shows he's started just 26, so about 1/3 of the games available when he's fit.

None of this means he's a bad player, but it's worthwhile context to show that even when he was fit, it's only when he's got towards his 23rd birthday that he's really nailed down a regular spot.

Winks has been allowed to grow into a role around better players and work out what type of player he is.
Davies, has been thrust into a bip polar team with different partners and often different positions.
If Davies was at spurs right now he would probably of played alot less games for several reasons.
Poch is very patiant with his young players and allows them to grow without over using them

Yeah I think we just have to agree to disagree. You think that spurs picked a random kid to start 5 of their 6 CL group games last year, I think they picked someone who had most definitely nailed down a starting spot. You think the fact he played in all but 2 of spurs’s games before getting injured around Christmas last season but featured very rarely afterwards is a complete coincidence, whereas I think it shows that injury has played a big part in how many games he’s played. They’re both equally valid points of view, the only real difference is that mine makes sense and yours doesn’t...

I agree both views are valid.

I don't think it's a coincidence, I am just going on the numbers provided by independent websites that he has played around 1/3 of the (league) games he's been available for. There is no doubt that within that have been spells where he has probably had a run and been first choice, but for the most part (particularly before this season) that has been rare. I'm not sure what doesn't make sense about that analysis.

While I agree with your broader point there is no need to make direct comparisons, I also think it can have some relevance with sections of the fan base who make the presumption that the grass is always greener with other young players. Most young players are inconsistent, up and down and don't play very regularly. At times as fans we act as if this is an Everton problem, when in reality it's a problem that besets most teams and is the reason why very few play the number of young players we see being given game time here.

I think we see a little bit of this with Winks. Unless you contend the numbers provided (and I used transfermarkdt as the source) are incorrect and you have more up to date information than he missed 27 games I'm very open to seeing it and will happily re-adjust my viewpoint however we do seem to discount differing views on players even when quite firm evidence is provided to the contrary.

I like Winks and would say Winks is better than Davies but you would expect that with him being 3 years older. He was substantially behind Davies 3 years ago as he hadn't even got a game for Spurs. It's why patience is important. I'd also note, I like Carroll and Mason before Winks (similar players in a similar position) and yet one of them retired from the game having been relegated to the championship, and another is currently kicking about the championship for a mid table side there. There is a part of me that wonders if Winks left Spurs and went to a team under a different system what his fate would be?

The new standard for Everton players is: runs around and has desire

Balls to being good and actually influencing a game, that’s for those tippy tappy teams. We’re Everton, we want passion

Hear what you are saying...
However it is all about balance, a 20yr old Tom Davies who has a good engine & passion from being a local lad can absolutely play a role in an Everton team going through transition & rebuilding for the future.

I really like Winks but it's a bit of a push to say he's been playing regularly. He has played 494 minutes 2 seasons ago, about 800 last season and 1300 this season. Davies has played 1500, 1900 and this season 850 minutes. Essentially he has only got close to Davies levels of involvement in the last season at age 23.

There is also a huge difference comparing an 18-20 year old player to one at 23.

None of this means Davies will emulate Winks but I do think it's a worthwhile point when people make out the league is filled with lads around Davies's age who are dominating the league.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Davies has been playing far more minutes at an earlier stage in his development. He should be afford inconsistency. It is very rare to be getting solid week in week out performances from a 20 year old. Especially as he is going up against much more experienced and physically developed players.

Our biggest problem is that we had Rooney, an enigma at his age, and so we now expect every young player to just perform every week and we don't afford them the chance to develop.

We will end up loosing players with great potential because our fans are so impatient.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. Davies has been playing far more minutes at an earlier stage in his development. He should be afford inconsistency. It is very rare to be getting solid week in week out performances from a 20 year old. Especially as he is going up against much more experienced and physically developed players.

Our biggest problem is that we had Rooney, an enigma at his age, and so we now expect every young player to just perform every week and we don't afford them the chance to develop.

We will end up loosing players with great potential because our fans are so impatient.

There seems to be different groups of fans. Some who assume young players should be consistent. Some who assume that other players at other teams are but ours aren't. The truth is young players are inconsistent at most teams.

I see Barkley mentioned a lot here, but has he kicked on at Chelsea? He still looks quite an erratic player to me. I like Ross a lot, but you could hardly say he's fulfilled his potential.

There seems to be different groups of fans. Some who assume young players should be consistent. Some who assume that other players at other teams are but ours aren't. The truth is young players are inconsistent at most teams.

I see Barkley mentioned a lot here, but has he kicked on at Chelsea? He still looks quite an erratic player to me. I like Ross a lot, but you could hardly say he's fulfilled his potential.
I've said something similar frequently. When we watch young players at other teams we see only their good points. We don't notice the number of times they switch off, or make a mistake or misplace a pass.

With our own players, some of us only see the mistakes and don't take account of the fact that this is exactly what young players do. But the best way to learn is from those mistakes and by playing regularly, and the only way they will develop as a footballer is by playing at a high enough level to be constantly challenged.

It's a catch 22 really. By not playing them we won't develop them.

At least we know it's the same at other clubs. One of our Leicester regulars said young players like Chilwell and Gray get plenty of stick on their forums too.

I agree both views are valid.

I don't think it's a coincidence, I am just going on the numbers provided by independent websites that he has played around 1/3 of the (league) games he's been available for. There is no doubt that within that have been spells where he has probably had a run and been first choice, but for the most part (particularly before this season) that has been rare. I'm not sure what doesn't make sense about that analysis.

While I agree with your broader point there is no need to make direct comparisons, I also think it can have some relevance with sections of the fan base who make the presumption that the grass is always greener with other young players. Most young players are inconsistent, up and down and don't play very regularly. At times as fans we act as if this is an Everton problem, when in reality it's a problem that besets most teams and is the reason why very few play the number of young players we see being given game time here.

I think we see a little bit of this with Winks. Unless you contend the numbers provided (and I used transfermarkdt as the source) are incorrect and you have more up to date information than he missed 27 games I'm very open to seeing it and will happily re-adjust my viewpoint however we do seem to discount differing views on players even when quite firm evidence is provided to the contrary.

I like Winks and would say Winks is better than Davies but you would expect that with him being 3 years older. He was substantially behind Davies 3 years ago as he hadn't even got a game for Spurs. It's why patience is important. I'd also note, I like Carroll and Mason before Winks (similar players in a similar position) and yet one of them retired from the game having been relegated to the championship, and another is currently kicking about the championship for a mid table side there. There is a part of me that wonders if Winks left Spurs and went to a team under a different system what his fate would be?
I'm glad you took my post in the spirit I intended, jokey doesn't always come across in writing so I did wonder whether you might think I was being serious.

As I said, my point was never really about Davies in particular, I just keep seeing Winks being used as an example of somebody who made a late breakthrough, and he didn't. It's very much the same as the 'everyone thought Kane was going to end up in the conference until he turned 22' shouts, they're just totally inaccurate.

Even if you only look at it from this season he's literally only just turned 23 this week, he's been a mainstay all season so he was very much 22 when he became a key player for them. Last season though, according to the same transfermarkt figures you're using, he started 18 games and missed 15 through injury. He also made his England debut 18 months ago (and was MOTM). If that doesn't count as having made your breakthrough I think we're being a little harsh with the criteria.

My original post was saying injuries had maybe prevented him from really kicking on and while I think that's still pretty obvious from the figures we're looking at, it's also where just looking at stats becomes an issue. While transfermarkt lists the games where he was unavailable for selection, his issue has been with a chronic ankle problem which both he and his manager admit is still ongoing. Basically he was struggling to deal with the fact that he was constantly in pain/uncomfortable with his ankle and so while he was technically fit for selection he actually wasn't being picked because of an injury problem. A quick google shows me he talks about it here: https://www.90min.com/posts/6253658...tino-for-helping-him-through-injury-nightmare. Note that he says the worst the injury ever got was after a game on 18 Feb, and yet transfermarkt just has him down as 'not in squad' for their next game a week later. I'm sure you'll accept that as the more up to date information you wanted, and agree that actually the 'evidence to the contrary' was really anything but firm.

It's quite possible that Winks wouldn't look particularly good outside of the Spurs side, that happens with players sometimes. I'm not sure I agree with your other points there though. Tom Carroll never made himself a fixture at Spurs. The most games he ever started in a season was 12, which is the same as Winks managed 2 years ago before he got injured, and you don't accept that he'd made himself a fixture at that point. Mason was a good solid pro but personally I don't think he ever looked remotely top class. Put it this way, if Winks was put up for sale now I think he'd be bought by a better side than Hull.

Finally, we have absolutely no idea if Winks was 'substantially behind Davies' three years ago, because as you even say yourself, he hadn't made his debut yet. You're making what seems like a common - but quite strange - mistake of acting as if getting into all PL sides is equally difficult. We've seen this before with people saying 'it's easy for Alexander-Arnold/Gomez/Rashford to look good in that side, Kenny/Holgate/DCL would be every bit as good', just completely ignoring the fact that while looking good once you're might in be easier, getting in in the first place is a damn sight harder. In order to get picked last week Davies basically had to be better than McCarthy (who hasn't been on a pitch in over a year) and Schneiderlin (whose heart hasn't been on one for even longer), while for Winks to be picked at 20 he had to better than a combination of Dembele, Wanyama, Alli, Dier, Mason and Bentaleb. It's quite possible that he was already better than Davies but couldn't break into the side.

I've said something similar frequently. When we watch young players at other teams we see only their good points. We don't notice the number of times they switch off, or make a mistake or misplace a pass.

With our own players, some of us only see the mistakes and don't take account of the fact that this is exactly what young players do. But the best way to learn is from those mistakes and by playing regularly, and the only way they will develop as a footballer is by playing at a high enough level to be constantly challenged.

It's a catch 22 really. By not playing them we won't develop them.

At least we know it's the same at other clubs. One of our Leicester regulars said young players like Chilwell and Gray get plenty of stick on their forums too.

It's surprising really, as I'd love both of them in our team. I just think there's a lot of grass is always greener thinking re young players. It doesn't mean ours are brilliant, but you need to compare on a like for like basis.

I'm glad you took my post in the spirit I intended, jokey doesn't always come across in writing so I did wonder whether you might think I was being serious.

As I said, my point was never really about Davies in particular, I just keep seeing Winks being used as an example of somebody who made a late breakthrough, and he didn't. It's very much the same as the 'everyone thought Kane was going to end up in the conference until he turned 22' shouts, they're just totally inaccurate.

Even if you only look at it from this season he's literally only just turned 23 this week, he's been a mainstay all season so he was very much 22 when he became a key player for them. Last season though, according to the same transfermarkt figures you're using, he started 18 games and missed 15 through injury. He also made his England debut 18 months ago (and was MOTM). If that doesn't count as having made your breakthrough I think we're being a little harsh with the criteria.

My original post was saying injuries had maybe prevented him from really kicking on and while I think that's still pretty obvious from the figures we're looking at, it's also where just looking at stats becomes an issue. While transfermarkt lists the games where he was unavailable for selection, his issue has been with a chronic ankle problem which both he and his manager admit is still ongoing. Basically he was struggling to deal with the fact that he was constantly in pain/uncomfortable with his ankle and so while he was technically fit for selection he actually wasn't being picked because of an injury problem. A quick google shows me he talks about it here: https://www.90min.com/posts/6253658...tino-for-helping-him-through-injury-nightmare. Note that he says the worst the injury ever got was after a game on 18 Feb, and yet transfermarkt just has him down as 'not in squad' for their next game a week later. I'm sure you'll accept that as the more up to date information you wanted, and agree that actually the 'evidence to the contrary' was really anything but firm.

It's quite possible that Winks wouldn't look particularly good outside of the Spurs side, that happens with players sometimes. I'm not sure I agree with your other points there though. Tom Carroll never made himself a fixture at Spurs. The most games he ever started in a season was 12, which is the same as Winks managed 2 years ago before he got injured, and you don't accept that he'd made himself a fixture at that point. Mason was a good solid pro but personally I don't think he ever looked remotely top class. Put it this way, if Winks was put up for sale now I think he'd be bought by a better side than Hull.

Finally, we have absolutely no idea if Winks was 'substantially behind Davies' three years ago, because as you even say yourself, he hadn't made his debut yet. You're making what seems like a common - but quite strange - mistake of acting as if getting into all PL sides is equally difficult. We've seen this before with people saying 'it's easy for Alexander-Arnold/Gomez/Rashford to look good in that side, Kenny/Holgate/DCL would be every bit as good', just completely ignoring the fact that while looking good once you're might in be easier, getting in in the first place is a damn sight harder. In order to get picked last week Davies basically had to be better than McCarthy (who hasn't been on a pitch in over a year) and Schneiderlin (whose heart hasn't been on one for even longer), while for Winks to be picked at 20 he had to better than a combination of Dembele, Wanyama, Alli, Dier, Mason and Bentaleb. It's quite possible that he was already better than Davies but couldn't break into the side.

I always enjoy reading your posts so don't worry no offence was intended.

I think we broadly on lots of points. I have continually argued against the comparisons between Kane and (specifically) DCL which get made. There's a lot of 2+2=5 with it in that Kane was a lad who wasn't prolific and then suddenly became prolific, so any player who is not prolific they will emulate Kane. the reality is you will have 10 lads with Kane's record at 21 and only 1 of them will go on to be Harry Kane.

That being said I do think the comparison tool is worthwhile, particularly for Davies. There are very few players who play the number of games, score as many goals/get as many assists in the Premier League as Davies has at age 20. People ought to have some element of patience.

There is generally a feeling that players out there are much better than ours. People wax lyrical about Leicesters young players yet they are below us in the league.

Our young players are all doing ok. I think most have shown some improvement but there is a long way to go yet. Ideally what we need to do is create a stability around the club not seen since Moyes, and that will give them the best chance of continuing to improve.

Has to play the rest of the season. He isn't going to get better watching from the bench.

He is comfortable on the ball, looks to get the ball and mostly looks to get us moving forward.

Bigger issues with the team, than whether Tom is setting each game alight at 20 years of age.

Clearly I'm a bigger supporter of his than most.... but I do understand some criticism. It's warranted at times.

However, to expect him to be completely consistent at this age is not realistic, and it's not a valid criticism. He will have his ups and downs. He's still only 20... stick with him for another 2-3 seasons and watch him grow. I think we will all like the end-result...

When you have a squad as low in quality as ours has become, it is inevitable that effort is given a high priority. Should we ever become a regular top 4 side, then effort would not be enough, and very few of the present squad would be tolerated anyway. Neither Silva nor anyone else can turn average ability into top 4 ability.

Working hard is actually a fundamental for good teams though. Every single one has it.

Theres working hard by running around and wanting to win a ball then there’s running around and actually intercepting passes and winning back possession.

So yes bud, while I agree it is a fundamental of most teams there must be an outcome. I’m sure everyone of us would run our socks off for Everton, but we’d be utter aids at doing so

Hear what you are saying...
However it is all about balance, a 20yr old Tom Davies who has a good engine & passion from being a local lad can absolutely play a role in an Everton team going through transition & rebuilding for the future.

What if he struggles at doing the things required of a top pro, like passing, scoring, dribbling, reading the game, tackling, awareness?? You’ve basically may as well pick Dan from the park who’ll do all the same and have no influence.

Building for the future with Tom Davies point and centre is like building you’re £5m mansion on sand. It’ll all end in a pile of tears and rubble

Status
Not open for further replies.