2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under Allardyce he was just told run around use your energy with no actual coaching/structure to his game. He definitely needs someone to coach him and find out exactly what type of midfielder he can be. More importantly he needs games and minutes it’s just whether we can give him it.

I don't hate the player, on the flip side of your argument, if you love the player, you'll see no wrong.

He's not a very good player and shouldn't be in this team. He does a simple thing and gets praised because of the very low bar he has.

I don’t love I don’t hate ,I comment on what I see and what a lot of fellow minded Evertonian seen in Tom on weds night and that was a very encouraging midfield performance and maybe some encouragement when he does play well,lord knows he gets enough [Poor language removed]

I really like Winks but it's a bit of a push to say he's been playing regularly. He has played 494 minutes 2 seasons ago, about 800 last season and 1300 this season. Davies has played 1500, 1900 and this season 850 minutes. Essentially he has only got close to Davies levels of involvement in the last season at age 23.

There is also a huge difference comparing an 18-20 year old player to one at 23.

None of this means Davies will emulate Winks but I do think it's a worthwhile point when people make out the league is filled with lads around Davies's age who are dominating the league.
I wasn’t talking about dominating the league though, I was just saying I’ve noticed a few people talking about him as if he’s just appeared out of nowhere. As I said, if it wasn’t for ankle injuries he’d have played a lot more, he was playing 90 minutes at the Bernabeu in a crucial CL game at 21.

I wasn’t talking about dominating the league though, I was just saying I’ve noticed a few people talking about him as if he’s just appeared out of nowhere. As I said, if it wasn’t for ankle injuries he’d have played a lot more, he was playing 90 minutes at the Bernabeu in a crucial CL game at 21.

Well to an extent he had injuries, but the reality is he was hardly involved at all. He played the equivalent of 8 games when he was a year older than Davies. I like the player but we should be measured.

Well to an extent he had injuries, but the reality is he was hardly involved at all. He played the equivalent of 8 games when he was a year older than Davies. I like the player but we should be measured.
Again, I’m not trying to compare him to Davies. I’m simply saying that there are people saying ‘winks didn’t make his breakthrough til he was 23’ which is absolute rubbish and shows up people who just get their opinions from the papers. He’s literally turned 23 this week, he has been a regular spurs squad member for 3 years when his competition has been top class. He’s not had ‘some’ injuries, he’s had serious ankle injuries which have kept him out for months at a time.

Again, I’m not trying to compare him to Davies. I’m simply saying that there are people saying ‘winks didn’t make his breakthrough til he was 23’ which is absolute rubbish and shows up people who just get their opinions from the papers. He’s literally turned 23 this week, he has been a regular spurs squad member for 3 years when his competition has been top class. He’s not had ‘some’ injuries, he’s had serious ankle injuries which have kept him out for months at a time.

I am not comparing either. However Winks has only become anything approaching a regular this season. Partly down to injury, but mainly down to ability.

The relevance this has to Davies is it's a worthwhile context when evaluating a players performance at age 20. Very few play regularly.

I've just had a quick look at it shows he has missed 27 games due to injury over the last 3 seasons. Not an inconsequential amount but by no means whole seasons disrupted.

He could have played in over 100 games, so subtracting the 27 he has missed he has over 70 games he's been available to start for in that time. A quick look at the stats shows he's started just 26, so about 1/3 of the games available when he's fit.

None of this means he's a bad player, but it's worthwhile context to show that even when he was fit, it's only when he's got towards his 23rd birthday that he's really nailed down a regular spot.

Last edited:
I am not comparing either. However Winks has only become anything approaching a regular this season. Partly down to injury, but mainly down to ability.

The relevance this has to Davies is it's a worthwhile context when evaluating a players performance at age 20. Very few play regularly.

I've just had a quick look at it shows he has missed 27 games due to injury over the last 3 seasons. Not an inconsequential amount but by no means whole seasons disrupted.

He could have played in over 100 games, so subtracting the 27 he has missed he has over 70 games he's been available to start for in that time. A quick look at the stats shows he's started just 26, so about 1/3 of the games available when he's fit.

None of this means he's a bad player, but it's worthwhile context to show that even when he was fit, it's only when he's got towards his 23rd birthday that he's really nailed down a regular spot.
Yeah I think we just have to agree to disagree. You think that spurs picked a random kid to start 5 of their 6 CL group games last year, I think they picked someone who had most definitely nailed down a starting spot. You think the fact he played in all but 2 of spurs’s games before getting injured around Christmas last season but featured very rarely afterwards is a complete coincidence, whereas I think it shows that injury has played a big part in how many games he’s played. They’re both equally valid points of view, the only real difference is that mine makes sense and yours doesn’t...

I think its blindingly obvious he is a box to box midfielder and playing a flat 3 in midfield with no number 10 is the way to get the best out of him.

Yeah as in going from listening to Box Car Racer to getting a box from chavs for skateboarding in Stanley Park.

Yeah I think we just have to agree to disagree. You think that spurs picked a random kid to start 5 of their 6 CL group games last year, I think they picked someone who had most definitely nailed down a starting spot. You think the fact he played in all but 2 of spurs’s games before getting injured around Christmas last season but featured very rarely afterwards is a complete coincidence, whereas I think it shows that injury has played a big part in how many games he’s played. They’re both equally valid points of view, the only real difference is that mine makes sense and yours doesn’t...
I like them both enjoyed your discussion they aren’t your stereotypical English midfielders both are comfortable on the ball and want to take It even when under pressure from an opponent.
They both lack the usual physicality you expect from an English midfielder like a Henderson or dier long term they will both hopefully find ways to overcome this through there playing ability.

Has to play the rest of the season. He isn't going to get better watching from the bench.

He is comfortable on the ball, looks to get the ball and mostly looks to get us moving forward.

Bigger issues with the team, than whether Tom is setting each game alight at 20 years of age.

Has to play the rest of the season. He isn't going to get better watching from the bench.

He is comfortable on the ball, looks to get the ball and mostly looks to get us moving forward.

Bigger issues with the team, than whether Tom is setting each game alight at 20 years of age.
Agree completely same with kenny. I know it sounds like scratching around for positives but they have both looked like they belong at this level, between now and the end of the season we hopefully can find out if they are good enough to be part of we’re we would like to end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.