2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit he's terrible when I feel like there's no room for improvement and he's hit a ceiling. I will not slate him at 20years old and struggling for confidence. He was bad yesterday no doubt, doesn't mean I have to hate his guts and wish him playing in the national league or find a better career as a skateboarder, horrible gits some people, social media has given a voice to a generation of keyboard cowards who love the fact they can be nasty as anything and nobody knows who they are. i prefer to be a bit more supportive.

Offers absolutely nothing for a professional footballer.

I see what you’re saying, and there’s definitely some truth in it. I think we also have to acknowledge though, that he’s not just devoid of confidence. In all seriousness he’s only ever played particularly well for us about half a dozen times, the last of which was now very nearly 2 years ago. Other than that I’d say he’s ranged from OK to downright dreadful, and not in the same way that someone like Barkley could be like that, where you could see all the ability but wondered if he’d ever be able to put it all together, more that you come away wondering just what it is he’s supposed to be good at.

I do agree that some people go overboard, and that he’s young enough to improve. I have to admit though that I just haven’t seen anything to suggest to me he’s going to suddenly blossom. I hope I’m wrong though.

That's fair enough, as time goes by then the longer goes the more and more i start to assess whether or not he will make it here but I've seen enough football as I'm sure a lot have to know that some really top class players didn't make any waves until say 23-25 years old, that's why I won't write him off yet. I've also seen some, not many but some players who were in the world class bracket struggle to ever adapt to our league,I just think patience is needed.

I think back to the match at Stamford Bridge two years ago. We were getting beat 4-0 and he came off the bench in the second half. Despite the score, he looked a really decent player. Similarly at Arsenal last year. Came off the bench in the second half and looked our best player by far.

He has unfortunately looked bereft of confidence of late. I believe he can become a fine player, but I reckon regular football is what he currently needs. Loan him out as soon as possible.

That's fair enough, as time goes by then the longer goes the more and more i start to assess whether or not he will make it here but I've seen enough football as I'm sure a lot have to know that some really top class players didn't make any waves until say 23-25 years old, that's why I won't write him off yet. I've also seen some, not many but some players who were in the world class bracket struggle to ever adapt to our league,I just think patience is needed.
Again that’s a valid argument. I would say though, not many of those who didn’t make waves until their mid 20s will have been at the same club where they made their debut at 17. There has to be a point at which we say you don’t seem to be progressing and move on I think. The thought of Davies playing for us like he has for the last 2 years for the next 5 fills me with dread, and he would have to turn into one hell of a player to make up for 5-6 seasons of this level of performance.

The same applies to many of our young lads. It’s not about writing them off but being realistic about where they’re at and where they’re heading. Holgate for example. I couldn’t say he definitely won’t ever be a top PL centre half, but I can say with some certainty that he’s a long way away from it right now, and that when we signed him we probably didn’t think that he still wouldn’t have forced his way into the side regularly 4 years later.

We can’t talk about potential forever, sooner or later these lads need to produce the goods if they’re going to have careers with us.

Again that’s a valid argument. I would say though, not many of those who didn’t make waves until their mid 20s will have been at the same club where they made their debut at 17. There has to be a point at which we say you don’t seem to be progressing and move on I think. The thought of Davies playing for us like he has for the last 2 years for the next 5 fills me with dread, and he would have to turn into one hell of a player to make up for 5-6 seasons of this level of performance.

The same applies to many of our young lads. It’s not about writing them off but being realistic about where they’re at and where they’re heading. Holgate for example. I couldn’t say he definitely won’t ever be a top PL centre half, but I can say with some certainty that he’s a long way away from it right now, and that when we signed him we probably didn’t think that he still wouldn’t have forced his way into the side regularly 4 years later.

We can’t talk about potential forever, sooner or later these lads need to produce the goods if they’re going to have careers with us.

That's the end game really for them to hopefully make the grade, the thing is, lads who are not going to make the grade don't get given that many chances, loans and sold on normally. On that score the coaches current and past must see something that's not translating onto the field but then the established players are struggling as well. Problem these lads are having is also playing in a very inconsistent team; i said the other day, Kenny never seems to get a game when the side are playing well.

I dislike Koeman but I'm 100% convinced that he knows what it takes to make it at the very very very top and he stuck with Tom n Dom so maybe we are sitting on some top talent, time will tell, as always.

U20s junior competition of no significance.

Actual world cup = last summer.

Stop being pathetic

509086-

Stop being pathetic

509086-

Quite literally says "U-20" in the picture. It's a junior competition of very little significance (as mentioned, several times).

You can barely see Davies in that picture, it's like he is hiding.

Make of that what you will.

Quite literally says "U-20" in the picture. It's a junior competition of very little significance (as mentioned, several times).

You can barely see Davies in that picture, it's like he is hiding.

Make of that what you will.

Lad, I just said it was a world cup, you said it was not. I showed you evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.