This

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree. I reckon if we had a top notch striker we'd be a really really good side. at the minute we are just a good side.
Sadly there aren't many in the torres mould out there. Apart from Jermaine Beckford of course.

No Mate, have a glass of wine. But I really love kicking the cat (and the cat loves being kicked) when we lose or those lids across the way go and do some thing which the RS fans can point at and give us the finger. It really really pisses me off. And at the moment we are just not quite good enough. A striker perhaps it will be Beckford for me is a priority.

Sad but true. I've been saying for ages we've been crying out for a striker. Saha and Yakubu are good strikers when fit and on form, but neither one of them are prolific enough in front of goal to really worry defences. I know Yakubu is still getting back to what he was and Saha has had a decent goal return but its still not good enough.

We need a Torres, Defoe, Tevez, hell even a Bent would do. I know the money isn't there to afford strikers of that calibre, but i would like to see us try what other teams have been doing and taking gambles on young talents, perhaps even look to South America.

I mean Rodallega would've been a top striker for us, and United are now looking to those shores too after signing that young Mexican lad. I know its a gamble but surely we can raise a few million by flogging some dead wood and have a go. You can moan all you like about our injuries but sometimes you just have to say that certain players aren't good enough. Yakubu and Saha wouldn't get anywhere near City, Spurs or Liverpool's frontlines. Don't get me wrong i wouldn't sell either of them, but we definitely do need a bit more invention up top if we are to get into the European places next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt enough has not been said it is not just about Benfica look at the Brum game and the Hammers game 4 points chucked. You get upset because I dare to speak out when some thing is not good enough.

Yes stupid mistake letting them counter after we got the second. However, Liverpool have lost more games than we have this season. Ergo claims they are better are well wide of the mark.

They beat a tired and bedraggled Benfica, making stupid errors - and suddenly they're world beaters again? Are you sure you're not a Kopite?

It's all about next season for me. and has been since we had that awful November all caused by the injuries.

Next season will be the defining season of the modern Everton era.

Its all about the summer. And the three names we've already sorted have shown that the club arn't messing about.

Did you know anything about Beckford-Everton until Grayson was all over Sky Sports News about it?

No one did.

Under your radar and mine.

But I've had it confirmed.

I also know that Arteta alone in our team makes our Pts stat jump to 2.08 per game. Without him its 1.02 pts per game.

Arteta missing against West Ham big issue. You control the ball and you are less likely to gift it to the opposition and make stupid errors in concentration.

Its simple really and the club are looking for the formula to sort that out.

Also to add to this is the emergence of Rodwell.

How many clubs wish they had him coming through? Que the ".... after Rodwell this summer" stories.

Thats the same Everton/Moyes who brought him through. And the same Liverpool/FSW who rejected him too then tried to get him back over there too!

Like I said. Toffeeweb/This thread my a*se

Last edited:
Matt I did not know about Beckford, just seen him in that one game at OT. Can you really say he is the bizz and we are not making another striker cocup ala AJ, Beattie etc.

Sad but true. I've been saying for ages we've been crying out for a striker. Saha and Yakubu are good strikers when fit and on form, but neither one of them are prolific enough in front of goal to really worry defences, we need a Torres, Defoe, Tevez, hell even a Bent would do. I know the money isn't there to afford strikers of that calibre, but i would like to see us try what other teams have been doing and taking gambles on young South American strikers.

I mean Rodallega would've been a top striker for us, and United are now looking to those shores too after signing that young Mexican lad. I know its a gamble but surely we can raise a few million by flogging some dead wood and have a go. You can moan all you like about our injuries but sometimes you just have to say that certain players aren't good enough. Yakubu and Saha wouldn't get anywhere near City, Spurs or Liverpool's frontlines. Don't get me wrong i wouldn't sell either of them, but we definitely do need a bit more invention up top if we are to get anywhere near the European places next year.

Was you saying that when Yakubu scored twenty in a season pal? Bit wide of the mark that, Yakubu is a prolific striker but is recovering from a horrendous injury. Saha was outstanding for the first part of the season and one of the only reasons we weren't in serious relegation trouble. It's a combination of form and fitness.

This Mexican lad is expensive for what he is and at $9m, not someone who we would be in the market for. Even considering he's extremely up and down although is enjoying a decent season it's no guarantee he'll do it in the Prem, like the other Mexican players to have tried.

Saha on his day is the only world class player we have in the squad, for the time being.

Matt I did not know about Beckford, just seen him in that one game at OT. Can you really say he is the bizz and we are not making another striker cocup ala AJ, Beattie etc.

It's likely he'll struggle to make the step up, but for a Bosman transfer he will provide pace and cover, for not much of a risk.

He will have sell on value if it doesn't work out too.

So AJ was a cocup? Thats news to me. Gave us several seasons and we recouped a large % of the fee.

In the meantime the club developed.

Marcus Bent. £400k sold for £2.5m.
McFadden £1m sold for £6.5m

Kilbane £1m sold for £2m

Beattie. Made up £4m of the fee too. Major loss there.

As for Beckford. Its a Out of Contract player. No fee.

We could say was Jags the finished article. Was Baines the finished article. Was Pienaar the finished article... etc.

Lets wait and see. With Moyes guidance and better service and his nasty streak I think you'll get a nice surprise.

I do notice you've suddenly changed tac, from making this Everton v RS debate to Beckford - is he good enough?

That suggests to me you weren't confident in your original assertion over Evertonians deluding themselves about not being as good (better) than the RedS****

Interesting.

Last edited:

Matt it is not about making money from sales but getting a striker who does the bizz regularly so we do not have to get rid. Beckford cropped up because it was pointed out to me and I responded to that point.

I have already explained about my "dissappointment over some of our performances, I dislike our team losing and especially if we are put in a position where the other lot can fill their thread "laugh at the Bitters" on RAWK and stick their finger up at us. You maybe okay with that but I am not.

Saha has had some world class goals this season. He just needs to stay fit and he could do it on a somewhat regular basis imo.

Yeah Yakubu had 15 league goals 2 years ago, but the guys just come back from a serious injury and he's certainly taking his time to get back into his stride, add to that he's not getting any younger (Despite what his passport may tell us). What if he never reaches that kind of form again ? Then what ?

Ohhh come on, Saha is not world class, i'm sorry but that is ridiculous. He wasn't good enough for United then, he's not good enough for them now. When he's fit and bang in form he's up there with the best finishers in the country, but how often do we see that ? He did well at the start of the season but his goals have dried up since and similar to the Yak, he's not getting any younger. Still im not knocking him, he'll hopefully hit the 15 mark in the league and individually he'll probably be fairly satisfied with his return, but what good is that when we are already as good as out of the European places.

However, Liverpool have lost more games than we have this season. Ergo claims they are better are well wide of the mark.

They have also won more games than us and drawn less games than us. Open your eyes mate, they are the better team, the league table never lies. They've been awful this season, and we've been worse, you can spin that however you like, its how it is.

Still, i agree with you when you say its all about next season now, we need to really push on. The summer will be a big one and no doubt we'll get some tempting offers for Pienaar as he enters the last 12 months of his contract, especially after the world cup. Obviously it would be a blow to lose him, but if the money is spent correctly to replace him then we can improve as a team.

Age and fitness are not on his side either but I think Moyes has worked wonders with him.

Spot on. And like i said, im not knocking him whatsoever, i'm just saying hes not the long term solution to our striker problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.