The Way Forward: Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sack Walsh (which I'm certain will happen if Tosun doesn't come good, although I hope he does) then I think the club will scrap the DoF model completely. Which I think would be a mistake.

There aren't many DoFs out there, the good ones are usually already in good jobs. It's important to remember that this is the first time Walsh has ever had so much responsibility, he's really a scout in truth.

It's also very difficult in the Premier League for DoFs who like the South American Market because you can't just pluck players from there like you can in continental Europe. I honestly have no idea who the club could replace Walsh with, suggestions about Marcel Brands at PsV but I don't know anything about him.

It depends what road you want to travel,if you go with a DOF,then you fit the manager,players,style of play around that,thats how it works,so if theres a change,be that on the playing side or managerial,coaching staff the DOF has a ready made replacement to step in

If we sack Walsh (which I'm certain will happen if Tosun doesn't come good, although I hope he does) then I think the club will scrap the DoF model completely. Which I think would be a mistake.

There aren't many DoFs out there, the good ones are usually already in good jobs. It's important to remember that this is the first time Walsh has ever had so much responsibility, he's really a scout in truth.

It's also very difficult in the Premier League for DoFs who like the South American Market because you can't just pluck players from there like you can in continental Europe. I honestly have no idea who the club could replace Walsh with, suggestions about Marcel Brands at PsV but I don't know anything about him.
Yep it's still a new role in England. In countries like Germany it's the norm. Would love us to throw a load of money at Rangnick but I think he's got a decent gig at Leipzig.

...the common denominator through changes in manager has been Walsh. He’s confirmed no signing happens without his authorisation so he has to be culpable for the complete inbalance of this ineffective squad and the total lack of a footballing strategy.

It the key position in the club. Managers will come and go and fail unless we change the DoF.

The other ever present is Moshiri he needs to look at his recruitment as well as the decisions being made by the people he’s employed in key positions within our club.
He’s either extremely naive and being easily misled or been well intended but extremely unlucky.

a few of the signings have been good players but just not played to anywhere near their potential and a few have been expectedly bad.

Steve Walsh was the ideal DoF appointment for a Kenwright era Everton - a scout who had built a reputation for getting value in the market and assembling a balanced squad with limited resources. During those years under Moyes where we could hardly afford a player Walsh would have been the ideal man.

Sadly, he has no success in the kind of market we find ourselves in today, nor any particular success recruiting in a higher talent pool. As has been pointed out before, the majority of Leicester's bigger signings scouted by him (Slimani, Musa) have flopped.

He also doesn't seem to have any experience beyond that of a chief scout, so negotiating transfers with agents and clubs, establishing a consistent methodology for recruitment based on how the club want to play football, and - probably most importantly - identifying the right coach to fit into our already established system, just aren't things he's ever done before.

I almost feel sorry for him. He's a well regarded scout who was given a role that is both beyond his appropriate remit and yet bafflingly vague. But to focus on him rather than on who appointed him is a mistake. The board have build a management system based on a limited understanding of football trends but without any proper consideration of what the role of a DoF represents. That an unqualified Walsh will most likely have spent two years in the role come May/June and we will have shown absolutely no positive progress whatsoever in terms of playing squad, ethos, or quality of management, is a striking dereliction of duty at board level.

A few things need to happen before our next DoF/Manager appointment. The first is that Moshiri needs to decide to what extent he is involved in club operations. Constant references to Kenwright's role in the recruitment of players last summer was odd considering his role appeared essentially little more than a title. From the very little I know about inside operations at the club, Kenwright's involvement has also been an issue during the sacking of Martinez and the hiring of Koeman's replacement, resulting in a lot of delay in both instances. Moshiri's keeping of Kenwright as some kind of weird consigliere is unnecessary: there was a period when Kenwright may have been the right man to lead Everton but that time is long over.

Leading from that is the painfully obvious need for the appointment of a CEO. Elstone is a man without any talent, a man who has contributed nothing of note in, what, nearly ten years? A series of relatively weak commercial deals and a complete lack of accountability. It's surprising that Moshiri has been so inactive here as the one thing we might assume he has is a bit of nous when it comes to middling accountants in roles above their ability or intellect.

This bizarre inactivity at the top level has left us in stasis for two years now. Investments have been misguided and money has been wasted. More problematically, every decision made since Moshiri came in has been worryingly reactive: Martinez too naive, hire pragmatic Koeman; Walsh recruits a title winning squad, employ him in an elevated role; Koeman's put us under threat of relegation, hire the least progressive manager alive. And yet, conversely, there's been no reaction whatsoever in the boardroom, where so much has just ticked along as it always has.

A good DoF would be great, but the rot goes much deeper.

The other ever present is Moshiri he needs to look at his recruitment as well as the decisions being made by the people he’s employed in key positions within our club.
He’s either extremely naive and being easily misled or been well intended but extremely unlucky.

..absolutely. He’s overseen the key managerial and DoF appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.