The Way Forward: Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Dean

Player Valuation: £70m
We're all getting too caught up in talk of sacking our stupid tit of a manager (I'm including myself in that) when it just dawned on me that the real priority for Moshiri should be scouring European football for a DoF. Get him in, sack Walsh or demote him to chief scout (although I think even that role is beyond him), and let him take the lead in hiring a new manager. Come up with a clear plan of where they want the club to be and how they expect to get there, and appoint managers who fit that plan.

As much as I hate BFS, I think we're not going down so no need to rush it. More important to get the DOF role sorted.

...the common denominator through changes in manager has been Walsh. He’s confirmed no signing happens without his authorisation so he has to be culpable for the complete inbalance of this ineffective squad and the total lack of a footballing strategy.

It the key position in the club. Managers will come and go and fail unless we change the DoF.

Let the Manager have footballing control I say, let the Manager build a legacy, I know it's unfashionable to have a long term manager but stability that everyone craves can be achieved just as well surely.

...the common denominator through changes in manager has been Walsh. He’s confirmed no signing happens without his authorisation so he has to be culpable for the complete inbalance of this ineffective squad and the total lack of a footballing strategy.

It the key position in the club. Managers will come and go and fail unless we change the DoF.
Yes the longer time goes on the more it looks like a misjudgment putting a scout in that role. Hopefully Moshiri has learned from it. He should take a leaf out of his old clubs book. Preparing for the departure of Wenger they're focusing first on getting things right in the background (Sanllehi, Mislintat) before looking at who is going to replace him.

His role when he came in was vague, but it’s clear now that a DOF is supposed to provide an overall strategy for how the team wants to set up and play, and buy the players accordingly, so that if managers come and go there is no need to rip it all up and start again.

And yet, that’s exactly what we need right now, it needs burning to the ground and starting again.

His role when he came in was vague, but it’s clear now that a DOF is supposed to provide an overall strategy for how the team wants to set up and play, and buy the players accordingly, so that if managers come and go there is no need to rip it all up and start again.

And yet, that’s exactly what we need right now, it needs burning to the ground and starting again.

It would be nice to understand what we expect from our DOF. Is the person in this role supposed to set a blueprint for how we play throughout the club, and how we acquire and develop players to achieve that? I have literally no idea what is Steve Walsh's remit, but it's hard to see how he can in any way be judged to have been successful, unless you count the U23's. In pretty much every other aspect related to playing football, we've gone backwards during his time in the role.

If you are judged by the results of your work , like most of us are this fella needs to go, unbalanced squad, no direction I can fathom out, players underperforming, and no real signs that any player coming through the ranks is pressing for a first team spot that wasn't at the club before he came here.
Add over paying for players from the prem while there is a big wide world to shop in.
I can't really see the point of him at all.
Sooner have a decent manager come in and have total control or let him bring his own man in who he is used to working with if they have been successful at there previous club.
I would be looking for a serious football man on the board like Dein as well.

I would love to know what this man does Mon-Fri. He's just had 6 weeks of a transfer window to bring in a 27M striker who the manager doesn't rate, and a useless defender on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.