The Wall - stick or twist?

What should our back four be from now on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe yeah. Weirdly Godfrey has seemed better on the left, but logic says he should be comfortable on his natural side.

It’s because he’s not instructed to cross so it actually helps that he can cut in on his stronger foot and play a pass.

Makes sense from a personnel point of view, but it limits our threat.

There is because we aren't creating anything and part of that is because we have two very limited players at fullback who offer no passing at all.
Look at the bigger picture.
Digne has just come back from a very serious injury and nowhere near up to speed. Godfrey is doing all the defending for him
James mainly on the right can focus on what he does best without defensive duties so Holgate is perfect for that.

Carlo knows what he's doing.

Look at the bigger picture.
Digne has just come back from a very serious injury and nowhere near up to speed. Godfrey is doing all the defending for him
James mainly on the right can focus on what he does best without defensive duties so Holgate is perfect for that.

Carlo knows what he's doing.
Godfrey is doing the defending because he is playing LB and Digne isn't.

I'm not arguing that we aren't good defensively right now just that scoring might be good too.

Coleman mina Keane digne

love Godfrey I just think we need that width, can’t drop Mina or Keane at the mo. Holgate s been doing ok I just feel Coleman will also naturally give us the width we need

Godfrey is doing the defending because he is playing LB and Digne isn't.

I'm not arguing that we aren't good defensively right now just that scoring might be good too.
Carlo is Italian , its in his nature to win any way he can.
He has sorted out our biggest problem ....defending.
Doesnt matter to him how he gets the 3 points and with the squad he's got we wont be seeing expansive football this season til he gets his own players in.
He would have took great pleasure winning that by a piece of magic and a clean sheet.

Personally I think 352 should be the way forward now Iwobi has looked settled as a RWB and Richarlison is looking useless not being in the centre

Olsen
Keane Mina Godfrey
Iwobi Allan Doucoure Digne
James
DCL Richarlison

Think that side brings out the best in a few players.
We tried a back three we just don't look comfortable in it for me. Keep the same back four and put Digne in for games that need more attacking impetus and shift Godfrey to the right.

Carlo is Italian , its in his nature to win any way he can.
He has sorted out our biggest problem ....defending.
Doesnt matter to him how he gets the 3 points and with the squad he's got we wont be seeing expansive football this season til he gets his own players in.
He would have took great pleasure winning that by a piece of magic and a clean sheet.
Then he needs to play Olsen now. Otherwise we have to score more. We might have to score more anyway but that's a start.

Personally I think 352 should be the way forward now Iwobi has looked settled as a RWB and Richarlison is looking useless not being in the centre

Olsen
Keane Mina Godfrey
Iwobi Allan Doucoure Digne
James
DCL Richarlison

Think that side brings out the best in a few players.

Can't play a back three that includes 2 of Keane and Mina mate.

A back three has to defend high, or it's pointless and just becomes a back five. So you need pace in it. You also ideally have a left-footer to add balance.

Leicester played it pretty well earlier in the season due to injuries, but had Evans (or at times Morgan) flanked by Fofana and Fuchs. While Fuchs isn't rapid, he's a full-back so knows the role and how to position himself, and is left footed. Fofana has pace.

Godfrey perhaps has learned more about playing that left channel, but can't have both of Keane and Mina in it, just not enough pace there.

If it's done, has to be Keane/Mina flanked by Holgate and Godfrey. But we shouldn't have one set system anyway. Horses for courses.

Then he needs to play Olsen now. Otherwise we have to score more. We might have to score more anyway but that's a start.

Pickford has been part of our good run in the league. Not saying he didn't cost us tonight, but he hasn't made any mistakes of note since that Leeds game and, arguably, that wasn't really on him - it was just people picking anything up at that point.

I agree Olsen should come in now and we'll see what we get from him, but as a defensive unit in the league, Pickford has been a constant part of it during the good run - as well as the bad. That's how Carlo will likely see it.

Pickford has been part of our good run in the league. Not saying he didn't cost us tonight, but he hasn't made any mistakes of note since that Leeds game and, arguably, that wasn't really on him - it was just people picking anything up at that point.

I agree Olsen should come in now and we'll see what we get from him, but as a defensive unit in the league, Pickford has been a constant part of it during the good run - as well as the bad. That's how Carlo will likely see it.
He's been lucky. We've had 3 different shots hit the post that, had they gone in, would have dropped us points and been his fault. If he wasn't still doing bad things weekly then yes that run would be good but he is doing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.