The Wall - stick or twist?

What should our back four be from now on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horses for courses. In some games being solid and resolute is great, in others we desperately we need more to break teams down. Longer term I really hope we move away from this because truth be told it’s awful to watch. Not complaining in the short term, but it’s not what I want to be seeing this time next year.

Didnt think so myself but I suppose thats where good coaching comes into it over the course of months rather than just binning it off after 1-2 games.

Only way I could see it working is if Holgate and Godfrey flanked one of Mina or Keane who stayed in the middle. Holgate could possibly do it but not sure about Godfrey’s distribution. It’s a lot different than just passing to holding mids or to a full back in a 4. The wide centrebacks have to suck attackers in and angle passes into midfielders or even step out themselves. Plus if we don’t have both Docuoure and Allan then the system is pointless because no one else can run at an acceptable pace in that midfield.

Horses for courses. In some games being solid and resolute is great, in others we desperately we need more to break teams down. Longer term I really hope we move away from this because truth be told it’s awful to watch. Not complaining in the short term, but it’s not what I want to be seeing this time next year.
I'd be disappointed to see this a month from now if we keep everyone fit.

Why would you swap the Centre Backs.
Very strange that.
First 2 names on the teamsheet ( after Hamez).
If you're trying to play a bit more progressive the lack of pace from Keane and Mina might catch you out. I personally wouldn't switch them but I see the argument.

The wall of Godfrey, Keane, Mina and Holgate is brilliant isn’t it? Teams literally can’t get past them.

Attacking wise we’re less dynamic though, and with Digne and Coleman both back Carlo has a decision to make.

What’s the general view on this?
Depends who is available and who we are playing. Without attacking full backs Dom is starved but without Allan and Dacoure we need additional strength at the back. Not my job anyway.

Godfrey-Mina-Keane-Digne
Offers more going forward as Godfrey does get forward more than Holgate and be better on right as right footed.
against the better teams I suspect the wall will be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.