The Sunday Sermon ; Big Joe Royle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say Joe Royle has always had a certain amount of class. Really like the guy and Saturday must be a strange day for him.

Dogs of war were ace- after the tosh from before we had some heroes again.

I liked him too. Always came across well. I forget the circumstances as to why he left.

My dad liked him at Ipswich too, even though he didn't do too well there. Compared to Keane, Jewell and McCarthey he did!

One of my dad's favourite players growing up, I've heard many a story from when I was growing up of the brilliance that he produced, class player.

My boyhood hero - He ran his socks off for the team - our only out & out striker, but with the team he played in thats all was needed - the holy trinity - Moggsy on one wing & Jimmy Husband on the other - he was a natural played at a very young age kept in the side by HC replaced the Golden Vision took a lot of stick early on in his career from the fans , but you could see he was so special!

I liked him too. Always came across well. I forget the circumstances as to why he left.

My dad liked him at Ipswich too, even though he didn't do too well there. Compared to Keane, Jewell and McCarthey he did!

Agent Johnson sacked him disagreement over signing a certain Flo for one million who was sold for millions at a later date read his autobiography!!!

Celebrated a little too much when he scored against us for my liking.Great player and manager though.I was at Blackpool for his debut and never touched Harry.

That is a great story and brings back fond and hurtful memories. The demise of Everton in the 70's was hard to take.

Can I just point out a slight discrepency (or it could just be my memory failing) didn't the great Mike Walker bring in Ferguson and Durrant on loan rather than Big Joe?

Regardless, a great read.

I Love Big Joe, one of the greatest Evertonians of all time.

Sadens me that with the talent he had as a player and a manager and the love had for the club, that he wasnt here enough years.

My boyhood hero - He ran his socks off for the team - our only out & out striker, but with the team he played in thats all was needed - the holy trinity - Moggsy on one wing & Jimmy Husband on the other - he was a natural played at a very young age kept in the side by HC replaced the Golden Vision took a lot of stick early on in his career from the fans , but you could see he was so special!

I was lucky to get taken to a lot of games that League winning season. Oozed class that side and big Joe was a colossus for us in the best traditions of the Royal Blue number nine shirt. Remember that 3-2 win over Leeds ? Joe even grabbed a hat trick that season v Southampton on my 12th birthday at Goodison..what a present. Happy days.

Excellent read. Panathanikos was QF. One of the most one sided games at GP I have ever seen. They crocked jimmy Husband in first few minutes who was in form of his life. Joe missed about 15 headed chances iirc!!! completely cheated in Athens and threw away semi 4 days later....... Cried for days. We never recovered from that experience until mid 80s team suddenly found winning mentality to finish of the great play.
The night we clinched the league at GP will stay with me forever, especially Harvey's clinching goal into the PE. Meandering run and then shot from distance. Only word to describe it is ecstasy.

I used to run a pub in Southport which was frequented by Joe's former bank manager - guy by the name of Alex and a good Blue himself. Alex told me that for years after Joe left Everton for City, Norwich, Bristol City etc he would still ring Alex, a season ticket holder, to discuss how Everton had played just about every second weekend. He would, by all accounts, often sign off with "Shame that sh¡te across the park won too!" or some such.

True Blue. Baby I love you.

I Love Big Joe, one of the greatest Evertonians of all time.

Sadens me that with the talent he had as a player and a manager and the love had for the club, that he wasnt here enough years.
I'd go with this.

He'll be on our side tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.