Homepage Update: The Shackles Are Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like where we are going but time will tell I guess. Some good signings and some that are a punt for me. Let's batter these guys tonight and see to enthusiasm go through the roof.

We gonna win the next werld cup

If you can't be optimistic at the beginning of the season, when can you be?
Precisely. And that has very little to do with the business done so far, which is leaving us stronger in some areas but weaker in others.

The club have done a sterling job in arranging the feelgood factor by front-loading the transfers first this time around before selling - and at a time when no other club outside of City and Chelsea are doing their transfer heavy lifting - and that makes it look like we have stolen a march on all the others.

Demands for the new season: having a gross spend of around £150M by the end of just this window means a CL spot or a cup in the cabinet is required to make it a success. Short of either of those, the only other way it can be seen as not abject failure is if we are 5th in the league and missing out on 4th by a couple of points.

I have strong doubts though whether a team that is apparently set up to press can avoid the wheels falling off post Christmas period and we'll end up 6th-8th. If that happens there needs to be a lot of questions asked and actions taken.

Precisely. And that has very little to do with the business done so far, which is leaving us stronger in some areas but weaker in others.

The club have done a sterling job in arranging the feelgood factor by front-loading the transfers first this time around before selling - and at a time when no other club outside of City and Chelsea are doing their transfer heavy lifting - and that makes it look like we have stolen a march on all the others.

Demands for the new season: having a gross spend of around £150M by the end of just this window means a CL spot or a cup in the cabinet is required to make it a success. Short of either of those, the only other way it can be seen as not abject failure is if we are 5th in the league and missing out on 4th by a couple of points.

I have strong doubts though whether a team that is apparently set up to press can avoid the wheels falling off post Christmas period and we'll end up 6th-8th. If that happens there needs to be a lot of questions asked and actions taken.
But with all respect @davek we had to get our business done early, as we had the Europa league qualifier to contend. But even so, all managers would prefer to have their transfer business to be conducted as early as possible. It gives new signings time to integrate within the team and familiarise themselves with their new surroundings.
We are all too aware at Everton, the problems associated with leaving your business too late in the window. I for one I glad that this isn't the case this window.

But with all respect @davek we had to get our business done early, as we had the Europa league qualifier to contend. But even so, all managers would prefer to have their transfer business to be conducted as early as possible. It gives new signings time to integrate within the team and familiarise themselves with their new surroundings.
We are all too aware at Everton, the problems associated with leaving your business too late in the window. I for one I glad that this isn't the case this window.
It's worthwhile doing business early, yes. I'm not disputing that.

Great article! Every season starts the same; a level playing field, a blank canvas. So much potential ahead.

But it's a tough opening few games, a lot of new players to bed in/gell; it might take us half a season to find our feet.

Only Everton can spoil it now.

Never been more exited by the start of a season though!!!

..I prefer us to do our talking on the pitch. Predictions from players and fans about how we're going to do this and achieve that are worthless and often wrong. I'm not being negative, I just think we should keep our own counsel.

Samaritans are looking for volunteers Dave

..I prefer us to do our talking on the pitch. Predictions from players and fans about how we're going to do this and achieve that are worthless and often wrong. I'm not being negative, I just think we should keep our own counsel.

Totally agree, I've lost count of the number of times players and other staff have given interviews pre-season and before big games where they make bold statements but don't deliver.

It is nice to feel optimistic though, but I think some are feeling overly optimistic and will be brought cruelly back to earth as the season gets under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.