The School of Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me “ School of Science” encapsulates the romantic side of me and our club but it’s only successful when allied with practical, grafting players too. It’s Alex Young and Roy Vernon being supported by Labone and Collins; the magic of Kendall/ Harvey/Ball with Hurst and Labone behind them and the same in the 80s with brilliant footballers being backed up by hard grafters.

.....it’s not only about the style of play, football has always been a mix of quality, attitude, desire, blend and hard work. The term ‘school’ is also lots to do with values, ethics and decency. I’d hope we never lose sight of that in this age of mega-money.
Exactly As the song goes (apologies for non exact lyrics) We play it on the football pitch, we play it in the air, which ever way we play it, we play it fair and square.

.....it’s not only about the style of play, football has always been a mix of quality, attitude, desire, blend and hard work. The term ‘school’ is also lots to do with values, ethics and decency. I’d hope we never lose sight of that in this age of mega-money.
I think ETIC will keep this in the players mind
The players as far as I know donate a small part of their wages to ETIC
The redevelopment of Goodison for community use as well as financial gain will also hopefully keep the ethos alive

My view of School of Science .... pure team work , good work ethic , 100% effort every game from every player , no one player thinking he is the star !
Playing with heart for the badge thereby upholding the very essence of the EFC motto .
Style of play to me , is secondary , ball in the back of the net and 3 points each game far more important to me :dance:

Playing classy football and wining files with pure football is the school of science, even the 1970 team played the long ball, but it had pace and control of pure football....
You went towards game knowing the team was going to win ..
They usually did not just result wise , but with pure football.....that's a school of science style team ........
When we have had those teams it fetched trophies plus we were respected .....for great football......

You may like this, friend sent me the link the other day and reading your post reminded me of it:

I think it’s pure romanticism from a time where we could spend big and win things personally. I don’t like to buy into sayings as I believe they’re a bit cringey. People’s memories of the time are worth a hell of a lot more than trying to attach the School of Science moniker onto every half decent rendition of Everton that appears since then.

It's a really good question.

For me who has been around for Royle, Kendall (2), Smith, Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva and now Ancelotti, Martinez's first season was by far my most enjoyable year in terms of the way we played.

I disagree totally with @Groucho regarding our defending (or the suggestion we didn't do any) in that first season. Our defensive record overall was very good with McCarthy especially absolutely fantastic in winning the ball for us.

But as I've aged, I do appreciate more that there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. Take Ferguson taking over and going 442. The idea of having two strikers in tandem has ended up in practice working very well for us. With absolute love and affection for Dunc, I don't think there was much longevity with how we were playing in the 442 under him. Vs Arsenal, tired of course, we lacked any real attacking impetus.

What was fantastic though was to show how Everton should be intense without the ball. That McCarthy bite in the midfield, pressing forwards and physically dominant CBs are an absolute must for any Everton side.

Conversely though, what I don't like sitting on the Gwladys (for my sins), is the absolute impatience and annoyance of some to just "GET IT UP THERE". However we play needs to be with method and understanding.

I have absolute trust in Carlo to find the way that best suits the club to progress.

I think it’s pure romanticism from a time where we could spend big and win things personally. I don’t like to buy into sayings as I believe they’re a bit cringey. People’s memories of the time are worth a hell of a lot more than trying to attach the School of Science moniker onto every half decent rendition of Everton that appears since then.
If you know your history the School of science goes back to the early 1930's - Dixie Dean never booked once - TG Jones the ball playing centre half the 1938/39 Championship team TG Jones reckoned they were that good some matches they never had to break sweat it was that easy the football they played then the war disrupted the team - Everton that .... it goes back to those days from the books I have read - our club motto was installed in the was to play great football - the School of Science was very much the label put on it - They reckon in Dixie Dean finest goal scoring Centre Forward, and the great ball playing Prince of Centre halfs to just name two were unique to our team in that era - hence the Holy trinity won the championship with blistering attractive football - as did the teams in the 1980's -if we ever peak again it will not be won by route one boring football or defensive shutout football - we have had the dirty Leeds sides - the boring 1-0 Arsenal sides who all got success - Everton FC don't do it that way to be successful - TBH the team over the park are where we have to aim at - they are by good high press faster football - sad to say .......

For me, Science is about proving/disproving something, in football terms that could be a tactic, a formation, a way of playing, smoothing it out, proving it works, improving on it.
School is for teaching, passing on the information learnt from the science part...

Combined it's about finding a good way of doing something, refining it to as close to perfection as they can do and passing it on to the next group to try to improve on it some more. Simultaneously questioning if that way of doing it is in fact the best way, querying and trying to disprove the hypothesis. Until you do, stick at it and improve what you are doing.

Basically to reopen the doors to the school of science again, we need stop changing managers etc, get a formation and way of playing we are good at, refine it and pass it down to the youth team/next set of players, but never let up trying to improve.

I think a lot of successful sides have a steel and doggedness to go with flair. It should be a given players work hard but players like Richarlison and Bernard put a lot of them to shame with their workrates.

School of Science could well reopen under Don Carlos tutelage.

Status
Not open for further replies.