The Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good post by @Sona.
Think it's clear big Ron wants powerful, mobile players with ability to pass and hold the ball. Of the current crop only Ross has the full compliment of skills required, but we all know he needs to find more aggression to be able to play deeper.
Of the others Barry is hampered by age as is young Tom Davis, but from the other end of the spectrum. McCarthy is fully exposed in the technical requirements, Cleverly is just not powerful enough either in pace or tackle and Gibson just can't be relied upon at all.
I think we may see Ross playing deeper in a midfield 3 but only when Ron believes that he has 2 others he can fully rely on to cover and control the midfield area the way he wants.
On another note the front 3 will see some changesas well. Rom can't hold the ball up well enough for this system and both Geri and Miralles need to show more consistency and tenacity.
It's going to be an interesting month to the close of the window.

Irrelevant, as he doesn't play in Ronald Koeman's Everton side.

Barca play a playing style that is entirely different to ours.

That has nothing to do with the type of player he is. He also plays the similar position as Barry which is the pivot...so you think Busquets is a playmaker.

I cant believe you're classing Barry as a playmaker, Carvalho as a ball winner and Witsel as a playmaker...

It really is rather ridiculous.

I like the point of the thread and the idea behind having different types of players in the centre. However you dont seem to know what types of players you're discussing.

How Witsel can be described as a playmaker and Carvalho as a ball winner is mind blowing.

Youve stated that players would be either a playmaker OR a ball winner....again this is nonsense, Carvalho is a defensive midfielder who is essentially a playmaker and fantastic positionally -- a "ball winner" certainly not. Yet he can win the ball of course..

Why not watch the players or at least read up on them before branding them as players which they arent....

Its annoying.

We look to have two midfielders in RB who needs help and a promising one in Guye, the Barry, and MaCarthy partnership is floundering before our eyes - sadly Barry's legs have gone, and MaCarthy has never been the player since the 1 st season he signed!

That has nothing to do with the type of player he is. He also plays the similar position as Barry which is the pivot...so you think Busquets is a playmaker.

I cant believe you're classing Barry as a playmaker, Carvalho as a ball winner and Witsel as a playmaker...

It really is rather ridiculous.

I like the point of the thread and the idea behind having different types of players in the centre. However you dont seem to know what types of players you're discussing.

How Witsel can be described as a playmaker and Carvalho as a ball winner is mind blowing.

Youve stated that players would be either a playmaker OR a ball winner....again this is nonsense, Carvalho is a defensive midfielder who is essentially a playmaker and fantastic positionally -- a "ball winner" certainly not. Yet he can win the ball of course..

Why not watch the players or at least read up on them before branding them as players which they arent....

Its annoying.

Players can be moulded to suit a managers style really quickly. Ultimately, they're midfield players who might play slightly different roles depending not on who they play for and in which system.

Players can be moulded to suit a managers style really quickly. Ultimately, they're midfield players who might play slightly different roles depending not on who they play for and in which system.

Thats a bit different though to classing Barry as a playmaker simply because the players in the position next to him cant pass.

If we played McCarthy and Gana next to each other neither is a playmaker...

If we signed Witsel he wouldnt be a playmaker and if we signed Carvalho he wouldnt be a ball winner.These are extremely lazy examples just because one is a big lad and the other is solid technically.

Nothing wrong in just calling a spade a spade

We clearly need a lot better than what we have if we want to climb out of the bottom half, but I'd be inclined to start Guaye and Gibson for the Spurs match if Gibson is fit enough. At least Gibson can create and pass forward, none of the rest of them can, they are all far to defensive minded and we concede the midfield almost straight away. Gibson didn't do too badly in the FA Cup Semi-Final either, we clearly need better but the rest are so crap that he is our best choice.

Martinez does seem to have left a lot of square pegs in round holes. Gana looks like a starter, Barkley also but his role in the team needs to be better defined, after that we start to struggle. Gibson could be in but only because he appears to be the only midfielder who can pick out a pass. McCarthy might be the forth member as he is mobile but his inability to pass the ball forward is a worry. Can we afford Gibson and McCarthy both in midfield at the same time. We need to a new Barry. While I like Mata I can see difficulties with him and Barkley both in midfield, could try Barkley in behind a front two with Mata playing in the space in front of the defence to allow him to pick out passes. If we were to do this we need more dominant centre halves.
Koeman's head must be fried.

I've got a problem with the wide players. I honestly don't think Del and Mirallas on the same pitch works. Never seen one game where both have played well when out of the flanks.

No balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.