The Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sona

Player Valuation: £8m
We're edging closer to the start of the season and I thought it'd be worthwhile taking a look at the obvious conundrum that Koeman faces in this area of the park.

Even when he first arrived, Koeman voiced his intentions of addressing the midfield area.

The manager has so far looked to combine his midfield two in the following way: an all action, high-energy ball winner AND a playmaker.

Meanwhile, Steve Walsh has always mentioned how he looks at the character of a player; does he have a point to prove? Will he put the work in?

At present, we no doubt have the quantity, but do we have the quality?

Gareth Barry
image.jpeg

Type: Deep Lying Playmaker
Strengths: Passing, Positioning
Weaknesses: Pace, Acceleration

Koeman must be gutted that he does not have this player in his prime. Barry can pick a pass, but is also sound defensively. However, he just can't implement that high energy pressing that the new manager craves.

Verdict: Starter (for now)

------------------

Idrissa Gana Gueye
image.jpeg

Type: Ball Winner
Strengths: Interceptions, Acceleration
Weaknesses: Creativity

Noted for his interceptions and breaking up play, it looks as though Gana will be perfectly suited to the way that Koeman is looking for us to play this season.

Verdict: Starter

-----------------

James McCarthy
image.jpeg

Strengths: Tackling
Weaknesses: Passing

A fan favourite in Martinez' first season, but now clearly struggling for form. On his day, has the tenacity to break down play at will, but all too often lacking going forward.

Verdict: First Choice Backup for Gana

----------------

Tom Davies
image.jpeg

Type: Box-to-Box Midfielder
Strengths: Passing, Tackling
Weaknesses: Inexperience, Positioning
We have a real prospect on our hands here. I expect to see him involved from the bench frequently this season especially when looking to close out games. He's more of an "all rounder" in that he is good both going forward and defensively. Still not creative enough to be our playmaker though.

Verdict: First Choice Backup for Barry (for now)

-------------------

Darron Gibson
image.jpeg

Strengths: Passing Range
Weaknesses: Acceleration, Injuries

Yet another match missed for the Ireland international. It certainly seems as though the new contract was merely to prevent us from losing him on a free and I expect him to be gone by Sept 1st.

Verdict: Out

-------------------

Tom Cleverley
image.jpeg

Type: Midfielder
Strengths: None of note
Weaknesses: None of note

Cleverley is the archetypal middle-of-the-road performer. Excels at nothing, but equally has no real weaknesses. He's a 6-out-of-ten performer each week and for that reason, I can see him being surplus to requirements. Zero involvement in the Espanyol match seems to back this up.

------------------

Also, Mo Besic. Not much point in commenting on the Bosnian here, as the landscape will no doubt have changed by the time he returns from injury and no one will be signing him whilst injured.

So where do we go from here?

We are in desperate need of someone creative to play alongside Gana; either Witsel or Carvalho would be suitable and both have been linked, whilst Carvalho could also play the Gana role of breaking up play from deep.

Come the end of the window, I would like to see our midfield options consist of:

Ball Winner: Carvalho/ Gana/ McCarthy

Playmaker: Witsel/ Barry/ Davies

We're edging closer to the start of the season and I thought it'd be worthwhile taking a look at the obvious conundrum that Koeman faces in this area of the park.

Even when he first arrived, Koeman voiced his intentions of addressing the midfield area.

The manager has so far looked to combine his midfield two in the following way: an all action, high-energy ball winner AND a playmaker.

Meanwhile, Steve Walsh has always mentioned how he looks at the character of a player; does he have a point to prove? Will he put the work in?

At present, we no doubt have the quantity, but do we have the quality?

Gareth Barry
View attachment 27204
Strengths: Passing, Positioning
Weaknesses: Pace, Acceleration

Koeman must be gutted that he does not have this player in his prime. Barry can pick a pass, but is also sound defensively. However, he just can't implement that high energy pressing that the new manager craves.

Verdict: Starter (for now)

------------------

Idrissa Gana Gueye
View attachment 27200
Strengths: Interceptions, Acceleration
Weaknesses: Creativity

Noted for his interceptions and breaking up play, it looks as though Gana will be perfectly suited to the way that Koeman is looking for us to play this season.

Verdict: Starter

-----------------

James McCarthy
View attachment 27203
Strengths: Tackling
Weaknesses: Passing

A fan favourite in Martinez' first season, but now clearly struggling for form. On his day, has the tenacity to break down play at will, but all too often lacking going forward.

Verdict: First Choice Backup for Gana

----------------

Tom Davies
View attachment 27206
Type: Box-to-Box Midfielder
Strengths: Passing, Tackling
Weaknesses: Inexperience, Positioning
We have a real prospect on our hands here. I expect to see him involved from the bench frequently this season especially when looking to close out games. He's more of an "all rounder" in that he is good both going forward and defensively. Still not creative enough to be our playmaker though.

Verdict: First Choice Backup for Barry (for now)

-------------------

Darron Gibson
View attachment 27205
Strengths: Passing Range
Weaknesses: Acceleration, Injuries

Yet another match missed for the Ireland international. It certainly seems as though the new contract was merely to prevent us from losing him on a free and I expect him to be gone by Sept 1st.

-------------------

Tom Cleverley
View attachment 27207

Type: Midfielder
Strengths: None of note
Weaknesses: None of note

Cleverley is the archetypal middle-of-the-road performer. Excels at nothing, but equally has no real weaknesses. He's a 6-out-of-ten performer each week and for that reason, I can see him being surplus to requirements. Zero involvement in the Espanyol match seems to back this up.

------------------

Also, Mo Besic. Not much point in commenting on the Bosnian here, as the landscape will no doubt have changed by the time he returns from injury and no one will be signing him whilst injured.

So where do we go from here?

We are in desperate need of someone creative to play alongside Gana; either Witsel or Carvalho would be suitable and both have been linked, whilst Carvalho could also play the Gana role of breaking up play from deep.

Come the end of the window, I would like to see our midfield options consist of:

Ball Winner: Carvalho/ Gana/ McCarthy

Playmaker: Witsel/ Barry/ Davies

We're looking at getting a box to box player (Witsel etc.) and a playmaker mate.

Think one of the current players will be shifted, maybe two but depends on injuries.

My bet at the moment would be McCarthy.

The midfield is slow and labourous at best.

Needs a total rebuild for a 433 or 4231 formation that Koeman generally has used in his managerial career.

Our midfield is just too... raw, I think. I don't say our midfielders are pieces of wood, but definitely lack of creativity and 'magic'. Can't compete with other teams without good and creative playmaker.

I think we should sell McCarthy, West Brom should be good destination, he's great for teams like that. Good 13/14, but last two seasons he can only run with no sense with his funny pink/red face.

Gareth Barry = Myth
James McCarthy = Myth
Tom Davies = Myth
Darron Gibson = Sell
Mo Besic = Zidane in his prime
The boy Gueye = Promising
The Clev = Sell

If nothing else we need to add some actual quality to this midfield, something ive been saying for almost 6 years.

Arteta was the last actual midfielder we had.

Gareth Barry = Myth
James McCarthy = Myth
Tom Davies = Myth
Darron Gibson = Sell
Mo Besic = Bosnian Jack Wilshere
The boy Gueye = Promising
The Clev = Sell

If nothing else we need to add some actual quality to this midfield, something ive been saying for almost 6 years.

Arteta was the last actual midfielder we had.

fixed mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.