The Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post but I'm wondering where does Barkley fit in then?

Thanks mate. Left him out because he's been playing number ten/ behind the striker with only Dowell as competition.

I just really wanted to concentrate on the midfield two, as this is where Koeman has been tinkering.

Certainly does sound uninspiring when the OP doesnt understand the types of midfielder he is writing about.

I need a lie down...

Feel free to write one yourself mate.

Personally, I think it's quite clear: Koeman plays with a midfield two. One of them is there to win the ball & break up play, whilst the other looks to get on the ball and make things happen.

Whether you want to call it "deep lying playmaker", "box-to-box midfielder", "trequarista", "ball winner" or whatever other Football Manager inspired nonsense you've read, then so be it.

But the point remains. One to win possession, the other to do something with it.

Though gana (new lad) did ok yesterday apart ffrom giving away the peno. He seem to take a bit of responsability with the ball and would take it forward and pass in the direction of the opositions goal.

When mccarthy replaced him our play got much worse. He took no resposibility at all. He seems to play with his back to the opositions goal. Easy pass every time. He really offers nothing other than pressing the oposition and even that isnt as it was.

Barry will start in the team but slowly be phased down to the bench.

Davies will start on the bench but be slowly phased up to starting in the team.

Can see Gana being a starter throughout given the lack of good competition for his place.

McCarthy and Cleverley will be in and out of the team throughout the season depending on who we sign and who we sell.

Can't see Gibson getting 90 minutes worth of football across the whole season barring an injury crisis and that's if he's still here on September 1st.

Besic's injury will mean only one of the above will be moved on this window rather than two. My money is on Gibson or Cleverley. Hopefully Gibson.

Feel free to write one yourself mate.

Personally, I think it's quite clear: Koeman plays with a midfield two. One of them is there to win the ball & break up play, whilst the other looks to get on the ball and make things happen.

Whether you want to call it "deep lying playmaker", "box-to-box midfielder", "trequarista", "ball winner" or whatever other Football Manager inspired nonsense you've read, then so be it.

But the point remains. One to win possession, the other to do something with it.

What would you call Busquets?

Good post and I almost completely agree. Gibson and Cleverley can go, they don't offer enough. McCarthy might, just might have something to offer under a new manager. I'd sell him too though if we got offered at least what we paid for him.

But the new manager or Director of Football hadn't even been appointed when he was given the contract Steve?

So why do you think he was given one? Are you saying that the board have now told Koeman that he must play Gibson this season because we've now given him a contract?

Interested to know what you mean by "ridiculous amount of compensation" too, given that none of us know the inner workings of his contract. Not every single contract has a loyalty bonus (which I think is what you're referring to in your post).

It's not a loyalty bonus, it's just standard practise. It's why transfer requests are so rare. Nobody's saying he has to play, just that he wasn't given a contract to be sold in the same window. What if nobody wants him? Im guessing not many teams were wanting to give him more than us otherwise he'd have left.

He'll be with us for this season. That is a guarantee.

.When we play with a back4 we get stuck because the 2holders don't show for the ball. We try to go long but rom looses every header. 2 options forme to get another playmaker in midfield is to drop kev or Gerry or go 3 at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.