The Great Escapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wimbledon game I was left at my grandads for the game. Was in tears at 2-0 and went out in the back garden to play. He called me back in when it got to 2-2 and the rest of the game was on tenterhooks. When my mam came to pick me up I remember bounding down the path and giving her a massive hug.

Still harbour a grudge against Dion Dublin. I would have been 11 at the Coventry game and was absolutely knackered by the end of it, god knows how the players felt.

It's why I never understand why people chant 'Going Down' at other teams. Having been through it, it's the absolute worse feeling as a fan and not something you ever wanna go through.

I was watching a video about Dynamo Moscows relegation from the Russian Premier League for the first time ever in their history.They spoke to this guy who has been following them for the past 40 years, and the phrase he used was relegation hit me right in the heart.I think that phrase summed up the horrible feeling in your soul when the team you love suffers something as bad as relegation.Thank god most of us have never felt what that guy and other football supporters have felt.That horrible feeling of the team you love being relegated.

I was at both but Wimbledon remains the most vivid memory. It was close to a religious experience for me: crucifixion and resurrection both within 90 mins. I remember cursing Limpar for his inexplicable foul leading to their penalty but most of all the atmosphere was absolutely electric from when we got the first goal back. I dont recall much about driving home, I think I floated home in a state of bliss. All very emotional indeed, almost spiritual.

As an aside, I can't remember which one of the 2 games he was referring to but that Newcastle muppet, Rob Lee, had a newspaper column printed on the day of the game. He stated he wanted Everton to go down " as it's just about time they did". I have always hated that no-mark ever since and when he appears as an analyst on tv these days my hackles still rise. Cretin!

I was at both but Wimbledon remains the most vivid memory. It was close to a religious experience for me: crucifixion and resurrection both within 90 mins. I remember cursing Limpar for his inexplicable foul leading to their penalty but most of all the atmosphere was absolutely electric from when we got the first goal back. I dont recall much about driving home, I think I floated home in a state of bliss. All very emotional indeed, almost spiritual.

As an aside, I can't remember which one of the 2 games he was referring to but that Newcastle muppet, Rob Lee, had a newspaper column printed on the day of the game. He stated he wanted Everton to go down " as it's just about time they did". I have always hated that no-mark ever since and when he appears as an analyst on tv these days my hackles still rise. Cretin!

The funny thing about Robert Lee is that i completely forgot that he existed until you mentioned him there.That's how much of a non entity he is!A playing career that consisted of Charlton Athletic Newcastle United Derby County West Ham United Oldham Athletic and Wycombe Wanderers.The man should release a book.My footballing life passing through one no-mark football club to another.I'd say it would fly off the shelves.

I actually found the Coventry game more traumatic than Wimbledon!!When Horne equalised at 2-2 I thought we were safe my head had gone that much!!The Coventry game at 1-0 up then Barmby(spits!)missed the pen to seal it,Tommy Myhre lets Dublins header slip through his fingers with five to go, those last five minutes and injury time were probably the longest of my Everton supporting life knowing another goal and we would be down!!!

The funny thing about Robert Lee is that i completely forgot that he existed until you mentioned him there.That's how much of a non entity he is!A playing career that consisted of Charlton Athletic Newcastle United Derby County West Ham United Oldham Athletic and Wycombe Wanderers.The man should release a book.My footballing life passing through one no-mark football club to another.I'd say it would fly off the shelves.
Do you remember that cockney DJ halfwit Johnny Vaughan (Chelsea fan)on his radio show the day they played Bolton and us Coventry saying on his radio show,"Let the scouse b*****ds burn"?Always detested him to this day for that!!

Yeah as you guessed from the thread title, this is about our last day matches in 1994 and 1998 when we were staring relegation in the face.It's pretty scary to think how close we came to it, because it might have finished off Everton.But thankfully everything worked out fine in the end!The purpose of this thread is not to revel in negativity but i would just like to hear peoples stories about those day's.The fans climbing the trees at Stanley Park to try and get a view of the action.Brian Labone pacing up and down Goodison Road because he wasn't able to stick out the last 10 minutes.They were two horrible day's but they were memorable and happy occasions at the same time if that makes sense.I'll just say this much didn't Gareth Farrely pick the right match to score his only goal for Everton?lol
I was in the trees at the park end. Couldn't see a thing, that's when I realised how much Everton meant to me.

I actually found the Coventry game more traumatic than Wimbledon!!When Horne equalised at 2-2 I thought we were safe my head had gone that much!!The Coventry game at 1-0 up then Barmby(spits!)missed the pen to seal it,Tommy Myhre lets Dublins header slip through his fingers with five to go, those last five minutes and injury time were probably the longest of my Everton supporting life knowing another goal and we would be down!!!

Wimbledon 1994 was a defiant comeback and win and it was a sunny day.Coventry 1998 on the other hand, the weather was miserable and cloudy, and we were just waiting miserably in those final minutes for a god awful season to end.Just waiting and hoping that Coventry didn't score another goal and hoping that Bolton didn't come back to get a draw at Stamford Bridge.I thought we were gone in 1999 as well but thankfully Kevin Campbell arrived just in time to save us!

One thing that always sticks in my memory is the Chelsea Bolton game while we played Civentry. After it Gianluca Vialli said in his interview it was important to him Chelsea won because it wouldn't be fair on Everton if they didn't give 100% in a game that meant nothing to them, respected him for that.
The following season we played Southampton last game and Charlton were hoping Everton would do them a favor but we didn't turn up haha

Yeah as you guessed from the thread title, this is about our last day matches in 1994 and 1998 when we were staring relegation in the face.It's pretty scary to think how close we came to it, because it might have finished off Everton.But thankfully everything worked out fine in the end!The purpose of this thread is not to revel in negativity but i would just like to hear peoples stories about those day's.The fans climbing the trees at Stanley Park to try and get a view of the action.Brian Labone pacing up and down Goodison Road because he wasn't able to stick out the last 10 minutes.They were two horrible day's but they were memorable and happy occasions at the same time if that makes sense.I'll just say this much didn't Gareth Farrely pick the right match to score his only goal for Everton?lol
Nothing will finish everton of

I remember an interview with Joe Kinnear Wimbledon manager years later saying he was in the team coach going into Goodison Road looking at the throngs of Evertonians and his quote,"Everton ain't going down"lol

I remember an interview with Joe Kinnear Wimbledon manager years later saying he was in the team coach going into Goodison Road looking at the throngs of Evertonians and his quote,"Everton ain't going down"lol
Dean Holdsworth's missed header though mate Flipping heck.
Actually missed the game because sprog 3 born just a few days earlier. Sat in darkened room throughout, curtains closed, just me and the radio commentary, stone cold sober. Brother got locked out and stayed in Royal Oak. Spent the game thinking what my poor late dad and uncles would have made of it all. After 1966 my dad's mantra was never give up even at 2-0 down!!!!
They were going around the grounds on the commentary and they said going back to Goodison Park...heart stops...clearly something has happened.....we are 1-2 down at last count.....commentator does not realise the live feed is back because clearly he has not heard the cue because of the pandemonium going on because of Horne's equaliser...surreal!!!!! And fantastic. I always felt we were a bit unlucky to be down there that season whereas in 1998 we were awful from day one and agent Johnson was just running us down at that point.
Like others I thought we were doomed until Campbell turned up in 99(?) too and imo Moyes saved us 100% in 2002.
It really was relegation roulette for several years more or less. I will never sing going down except to the RS!!!!

Do you remember that cockney DJ halfwit Johnny Vaughan (Chelsea fan)on his radio show the day they played Bolton and us Coventry saying on his radio show,"Let the scouse b*****ds burn"?Always detested him to this day for that!!

Yes I remember - Vaughan is on the same list as Lee! I refuse to listen to his radio shows, I can hold a good grudge...

...thanks for this, makes my stomach turn thinking of them. Poor Brian Labone cutting a lonesome and nervous figure walking along Goodison Rd because he couldn't watch the final moments of the Coventry game sums it up for me. Great picture is that one.
Do you have the shot? Would love to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.