The Great Summer Player Sale Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
As a few of us were derailing the Marco Silva thread discussing his previous and our future transfer business it seemed appropriate to open a new thread...put simply who should go this summer and who will likely go?

I've gone with the 'popular' opinion on the below although of course there will be disagreements over whether some players deserve or should be given another season etc.

Of course there will never be this amount of player departures but it does make interesting and somewhat alarming viewing...

The ones 'no one' will miss -- 18 Players

Keepers -- Robles (Free) / Stekelenburg / Hewelt

Defenders -- Browning / Garbutt / Pennington / Galloway / Cuco / Mangala (loan) / Williams

Midfield -- McCarthy / Tarashaj / Grant / Mirallas / Besic / Klaassen

Attack -- Henen (Gone) / Sandro

The noticeable departures -- 7 players

Keepers --

Defenders -- Keane / Mori / Jagielka / Baines

Midfield -- Bolasie / Schneiderlin / Rooney

Attack --

Remaining Squad

Pickford / ??? / ???

Coleman / Kenny -- Holgate / Feeney -- ??? / ??? -- ??? / Robinson

Gana / Baningime / Connolly -- ??? / Davies

Walcott / Dowell -- Sigurdsson / Vlasic -- Lookman / Onyekuru

??? / Niasse / Tosun / DCL​

Minimum Additions

1st eleven -- LCB / LB / CM / CF
2nd eleven -- LCB / GK /GK

Conclusions

Admittedly of course this is more 'Football Manager' (or whatever FIFA is) than reality, it shows that even removing twenty five players from our squad would only require seven additions. This in itself is extremely alarming and shows what a disgraceful last two years under Koeman's stewardship has reaped.

(2)Keepers -- Pickford is the undisputed first choice but we need someone to push him to perform at the top level at the game as well as an up and coming keeper. I don't think that anyone will really argue on this position.

(1)Central Defence -- Of course we will never be left with only Holgate and Feeney as the central options. One of Jagielka, Mori or Keane is likely to stay with another signing needed here who needs to be the leader at the back and a top player...ideally a figurehead of the defence.

(1)Left Back -- Baines is the key here. If he leaves do we sign 2 new players or promote someone (Robinson/Connolly) as the 'reserve/rotation' option? Otherwise we do need a top starting player.

(0)Defensive Midfield -- Gana and Baningime have impressed when tasked with roles which suit them (press/harry/tackle) and should easily fill one position here along with utility player Connolly

(2)Central Midfield -- I cant remember the last effective central midfielder we had who could play the box to box role unless we go back to the Premier League olden days of Speed (RIP), Dacourt, Huchinson and Parkinson. Perhaps Arteta is the most recent player who filled this role although not a traditional box to box player. We do have Davies who can eventually blossom here but I feel we ideally need two signings for this position.

(2)Attacking Midfield -- With the experience of Walcott and Sigurdsson as well as the talents of Lookman, Dowell and Vlasic we look quite good here for numbers if Onyekuru receives a work permit. I do however think we should be loaning two of the younger players and signing another two high profile younger players who are more likely to push themselves as starters and create competition.

(1) Forward -- Some would want Niasse to leave but you cant argue with his numbers, ten starts and eight goals. Tosun also seems lethal and the opposite can be said of the highly promising DCL who needs more work on his finishing. We do lack a super centre forward on a par with the top 6 teams and Brands needs to find one.

So, to conclude if we jettisoned 24 players from the first team we would require 9 new players.

This seems highly unlikely and I'm sure Brands, Silva (or even both) may see certain qualities in some players which they feel may work well in the new system and style of play.

My personal view is that if we did make wholesale changes then we would only need 4 starting players as well as 4 or 5 rotation/development options. This seems doable to me, especially with 2 being keepers.

I'm not naïve enough to expect top 4 after wholesale changes or to think we may not struggle initially. However with the right signings made I would hope Brands 'Sweeps the leg' and puts his stamp on the squad.

Circa 100 million pounds in sales and possibly 100million in Moshiri's money to sign 6 or 7 outfield players...

I for one hope that Brands goes all in.

As a few of us were derailing the Marco Silva thread discussing his previous and our future transfer business it seemed appropriate to open a new thread...put simply who should go this summer and who will likely go?

I've gone with the 'popular' opinion on the below although of course there will be disagreements over whether some players deserve or should be given another season etc.

Of course there will never be this amount of player departures but it does make interesting and somewhat alarming viewing...

Defenders -- Browning / Garbutt / Pennington / Galloway / Cuco / Mangala (loan) / Williams

Keepers --

Attack --

Remaining Squad

Pickford / ??? / ???

Minimum Additions

Conclusions

Admittedly of course this is more 'Football Manager' (or whatever FIFA is) than reality, it shows that even removing twenty five players from our squad would only require seven additions. This in itself is extremely alarming and shows what a disgraceful last two years under Koeman's stewardship has reaped.

(2)Keepers -- Pickford is the undisputed first choice but we need someone to push him to perform at the top level at the game as well as an up and coming keeper. I don't think that anyone will really argue on this position.

(1)Central Defence -- Of course we will never be left with only Holgate and Feeney as the central options. One of Jagielka, Mori or Keane is likely to stay with another signing needed here who needs to be the leader at the back and a top player...ideally a figurehead of the defence.

(1)Left Back -- Baines is the key here. If he leaves do we sign 2 new players or promote someone (Robinson/Connolly) as the 'reserve/rotation' option? Otherwise we do need a top starting player.

(0)Defensive Midfield -- Gana and Baningime have impressed when tasked with roles which suit them (press/harry/tackle) and should easily fill one position here along with utility player Connolly

(2)Central Midfield -- I cant remember the last effective central midfielder we had who could play the box to box role unless we go back to the Premier League olden days of Speed (RIP), Dacourt, Huchinson and Parkinson. Perhaps Arteta is the most recent player who filled this role although not a traditional box to box player. We do have Davies who can eventually blossom here but I feel we ideally need two signings for this position.

(2)Attacking Midfield -- With the experience of Walcott and Sigurdsson as well as the talents of Lookman, Dowell and Vlasic we look quite good here for numbers if Onyekuru receives a work permit. I do however think we should be loaning two of the younger players and signing another two high profile younger players who are more likely to push themselves as starters and create competition.

(1) Forward -- Some would want Niasse to leave but you cant argue with his numbers, ten starts and eight goals. Tosun also seems lethal and the opposite can be said of the highly promising DCL who needs more work on his finishing. We do lack a super centre forward on a par with the top 6 teams and Brands needs to find one.

So, to conclude if we jettisoned 24 players from the first team we would require 9 new players.

This seems highly unlikely and I'm sure Brands, Silva (or even both) may see certain qualities in some players which they feel may work well in the new system and style of play.

My personal view is that if we did make wholesale changes then we would only need 4 starting players as well as 4 or 5 rotation/development options. This seems doable to me, especially with 2 being keepers.

I'm not naïve enough to expect top 4 after wholesale changes or to think we may not struggle initially. However with the right signings made I would hope Brands 'Sweeps the leg' and puts his stamp on the squad.

Circa 100 million pounds in sales and possibly 100million in Moshiri's money to sign 6 or 7 outfield players...

*snigger* trust you Zat....

Keepers --

Attack --

Remaining Squad

Pickford / ??? / ???

Minimum Additions

Conclusions

Not sure which will be harder, persuading somebody to buy the dummies or buying proper, better, replacements

This being Everton, we'll be left with a bare bones squad

Didn't you do this thread a few days ago

I did indeed. However, the discussion in the Silva thread actually focused on this and the fact there were some good points made which deserved a new thread (not least because of the derailment)

I detest massively long thread opening posts.

I lost interest after the first sentence.

Can anyone sum it up in a few words please.

So, what are you saying?

If we punted out all of the players who we wouldn't notice had gone that's 18 players.

If we punted the ones who aren't deemed (by popular/general opinion) good enough, that's another 7 players.

So we could effectively sell 25 players and not be weakened in quality. Numbers wise we would need to keep one of Jags/Mori/Keane at centre back so 24 down.

To then have positions filled and strong depth we would need to sign 4 top starting players + 5 rotation/development players, of those 2 are backup keepers.

If we could make all the sales (by hook or by crook) we would have circa 100mil to spend + a massive wage allowance. Additionally whatever Moshiri has promised brands, supposedly 100mil.

This is something I would like to see done

Sale? You couldn’t give half of our squad away, and I use the term squad very loosely.

Not sure which will be harder, persuading somebody to buy the dummies or buying proper, better, replacements

This being Everton, we'll be left with a bare bones squad

4 starters + 5 rotation/development players.

Starters
1 Left back
1 Centre back
1 Centre mid
1 Centre Forward

Rotation/Development
2 keepers
1 Centre mid
2 Wide attackers

How much would that cost if we had 200mil to spend?

I would still like to see what a more focused manager and coaching team could do with the players first.

Keane looked a really assured player 12 months ago. He is a shadow of that player currently.
Can we get him back to that level, or is he just a bust now.

Big summer ahead.

I don’t think Iceland, Dowell, Davies, Kenny, Robinson, Feeney and Connolly will be missed either

Sigurdsson -- could go for me as well but you do need some continuity and he can play in 3 positions which helps for depth.

Dowell -- If we made all these changes then I'd be sending him on loan to a foreign side and see if he develops more there like lookman.

Davies -- Send on loan

Kenny -- Should be better in an attacking setup and needed as backup to Coleman

Robinson/Connolly -- Need to assess if one is good enough as backup left back. Connolly can be a utility player 'just in case'.

Feeney -- 4th choice centre back needed. I'd rather keep him and Holgate + 1 of Keane/Jags/Mori so we only need 1 star centre back

Status
Not open for further replies.