The Foreign boys support....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharpy, top post.

OK, I'm part of a growing band of African-Caribbean supporters in London. I supported Everton since the championship in 1970 and have never looked back.

At the age of 13, to get to London games I'd walk to and from school every day (that's some 7 miles a day to save on bus fare) so that I'd have enough money to get into games.

I'd sit in the opponents end because I couldn't get an away ticket.

I always tried to promote Everton, even in our darkest days. Sites like these are an absolute and vital lifeline. And while I wasn't "born a blue" (I was born on the millennium line) the only way you'd remove that affiliation from me would be to lobotomise me (and no folks, no offers please).

But Sharpy, thank you, much appreciated.

Sharpy...............................so hard yet so soft, nice to be on the same forum mate.....good one;)

For the record, daughters RS boyfriend just called, they are going to Chester for the afternoon. He got very upset when I said 'oh yes you haven't got a game today'.......................great being a blue sometimeslol

Sharpy...............................so hard yet so soft, nice to be on the same forum mate.....good one;)

For the record, daughters RS boyfriend just called, they are going to Chester for the afternoon. He got very upset when I said 'oh yes you haven't got a game today'.......................great being a blue sometimeslol

lollollol
Love that.;)

Nice one Sharpy. I don't fall into the category of Foreign boys as I'm from Birkenhead and have been to the old lady on many occaisions. Seen the green grass, heard Z-cars, smelt the smell of cigars and onions from the hotdog/hamburger stands, tasted the pies and felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when we scored or simply when the GSE is on song. Been fortunate enough to live it with my 5 senses. But as you say the people who are chosen from far away do deserve a special mention. I miss the Goodison experience, and salute the dedication of our overseas followers. You're part of what makes this club special

Sharpy, what a superb post. Reading through it's so great reading all the peeps who registered just to agree with your point.

Being an expat it's tough being away from the action, but it does not dim your love for the club.

FORZA EVERTON

Great first post of the thread, nearly putting tears to my eyes. Yes, may be sometimes it is not easy to support Everton but it makes me happy from one day to another. And I am happy that we dont have such a large "fan base" in the world, such as [Poor language removed] or Manure.

Great first post of the thread, nearly putting tears to my eyes. Yes, may be sometimes it is not easy to support Everton but it makes me happy from one day to another. And I am happy that we dont have such a large "fan base" in the world, such as [Poor language removed] or Manure.

Sad to say we were as big if not bigger than both at one time..........................you got any billionaires over there with a few bob to spare RTlol

Nasty, they don't like it up them. Well done corporal Monty.

Great post Sharpy. I've been an Evertonian since last summer. It's clear the best club with the best supporters has chosen me. I'm very glad to be part of this family. The only frusterating part is that American tv doesn't show that many Everton matches so I have to watch internet feeds. I really hope to get over there and watch a match sometime when I'm older to get the experience you describe walking into Goodison.

Last edited:

Hang on with me for this one....

See it's really easy for me to support Everton. Why.? Because i live 5 miles from the ground. I go to most games hame&away. I hear all the rumors i live in the middle of it all. On saturdays i walk round the ground and soak up the atmosphear. I get to go in the pubs and meet all other othre Evertonians and talk about the game. Then at work it's mainley blues so i talk Everton 24/7......

Can you see were im going with this.....

So i come to the lad from far foreign shores. To be honest i dont know how you do it. And im not talking about the few who have just started suppoeting because of Landon arrival. Just to name a few.....Tx, DT, Neiler, Dylan, Mcbain (sorry if i missed you out) who might not have been born blue but saw the light and got the calling somtime in there lives. It must be so hard not to be involved like i am. Never to have seen Goodison to smell the air on match day or see Big Dunc smash one with his head and run to the Gwlady. Never to have been under the Gwlady at half time and sang lets go Fu*king mental and have beer thrown all over you. To never walk up the stairs and see the green grass on a sunny day and the boys walming up is unconcevable to me. I take it all for granted i know that.

We Evertonians are a special breed. But you boys in my eyes are the iceing on the cake. You have decided not to follow a sky4 club. but a proper club. and you are as much a blue as any one who go's the game. Infact you dedecation is beyond what i have to do. Following Everton is'nt easy at the best of times and its twice as hard for you lot......

I Applaud you all

stands & claps**

Good post, but I am not included in that. I moved to the UK when I was 6 and my step-dad is a Blue (Birkenhead). I have been to about 60 games in my life (we have lived all around the country except Liverpool)...hell my first game was the Charity Shield against the [Poor language removed] in 1986 at Wembley when we drew 1-1!

Also for some reason, I remember a game against Coventry...must have been the early 90's. Every time Steve Ogrizovic kicked the ball, someone in the GSE blew a comedy horn. Thought it was hilarious (I was a young teen then.....)

Everton fits...

Thanks for the nice words. My support for Everton, through the years, has sometimes been met with "support your local" team, "so-called Evertonian", etc.

In the US, I do support my local football, basketball and baseball teams.
Everton is really the American version of who I am and who my sports teams are here.

Like Everton, my San Francisco teams are not the richest, or the most glamorous, but we are passionate and have a history of championships, albeit a fading history at the moment!!!. We represent a proud city. Our NFL team is even considering leaving the city of our birth for a proposed new stadium in the suburbs, how about that for parallels?

I fit here.

I remember my first year of Howard Kendall 3. I paid my dues that year. O'Kane, Oster, Bilac, Madar, John Spencer, Duncan's goals and red cards, etc. I think that was the year yesterday's phenom arrived too - Danny Cadamateri. I remember two things as Everton lost game after game.

One was the feeling that I was going to stick with the team if EFC lost to Coventry on the last day of the season and were relegated.

The other was that losing in unglarmorous seasons like that was the price to be paid for truly savoring the good times when they arrived. You don't just arrive at the top and smile. That's not what support is all about.

Mind you, I don't want to glamorize losing. I prefer to win. But win, or lose, I'm for Everton.

Last edited:
Great post Sharpy!

It's not nearly as tough as it probably was to follow Everton from the States. With Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN airing so many games, not to mention Setanta Sports now at all the local sports bars, it's never been easier to watch the Toffees.

While I have never been to Goodison, I have seen the boys when they have been in the States. Although watching them get pounded by the Chicago Fire left a terrible taste in my mouth. I have also seen Tim Howard and Landon Donovan play before, so I guess I have seen most of the starting 11 at one point or another.

I do plan on making a journey out to Goodison in the next 12 months though. Probably bring an empty container to try and bottle some Goodison air too.

So i come to the lad from far foreign shores. To be honest i dont know how you do it.
I'm definitely a glory-hunter. I started supporting Everton in the mid-80's, but back then it was hard to even find the results never mind see any matches. The telly showed 10-15 First Division matches all year, so it was easy to go several seasons without seeing one. And of course there weren't many interested in English football in the entire town.

Moving to the University and getting an Internet connection changed all this as suddenly I could connect with people who actually WENT to the matches so I started getting match reports etc. I also found the Finnish Everton supporters around the same time as Osmo Räihälä put an advert on a sports magazine I read about it.

The final turning point, though, was THAT Wimbledon match which was shown on telly! It was the only Everton match all season to boot.

I will forever remember the first Finnish supporter's club meeting where people arrived all the way from Sweden! I only had to drive some 600 kilometers to get there...

The first trip to Merseyside was also something to remember. It happened to be the season we last won a trophy and I happened to see the third round match (and two other matches, although I missed half due to some drunken knobhead Evertonians* who didn't get up early enough so we were late to Wimbledon).

* That was a joke (for you humour impaired).

Great post Sharpy. I've been an Evertonian since last summer. It's clear the best club with the best supporters has chosen me. I'm very glad to be part of this family. The only frusterating part is that American tv doesn't show that many Everton matches so I have to watch internet feeds. I really hope to get over there and watch a match sometime when I'm older to get the experience you describe walking into Goodison.

I have noticed most on tv thanks to having both FSC and Setanta although I am very nervous about this new Fox Soccer Plus channel that is taking the place of Setanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.