The Football Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had never been on a football special you really hadn't been to an away game. Cords being pulled about every 5 mins. that made a journey from central Manc.to Lime street take yonks.Us sensible lads cottoned in the end and used the ordinary to the likes of Blackpool, Blackburn,Burnley using ya mates or in my case my brothers railway workers pass
No flies on us..

I used to love the special but I think those Amberline exec coaches probably saw the end of them. They were defo running during 85 -86 but I was going more on the ordinary and Amberline that season and can't recall going on one again after Birmingham apart from coming back from Oldham in the cup 90ish. Some gruelling journeys home, Spurs 85 seemed to take about 5 hours and Sheff wed 3 hours although really you didn't want it to end. Low point for me would be Chelsea in the league cup a month after Edgware Road and there was only 75 on it ☹️

I can remember going to Ipswich for one night game, coming home we sat in this tunnel for ages, I think they had to change over engines. The time we got back inti lime street it was that late I just went straight to work...
Great days..
Yes mate I think they changed it to a Diesel engine near cricklewood or near there, ballbag of a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.