The Farhad Moshiri interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moshiri should not have agreed to the interview at all. He/Everton do not owe Jim White an explanation for anything.

I thought it was unedifying. None of our supposed peers engage in this sort of thing. A majority shareholder should not have to come on TV, or give any explanation at all, for failings of his CEO/Chairman/Board/Director of Football/Manager, as you see fit to apportion.

There are far more appropriate channels to communicate with, and engage with fans. The wider football community / SSN viewers are of no relevance here.

It raises questions as to the dynamic between Moshiri and Kenwright & Co. In one sense, I applaud that he was ballsy enough to go on air but it seems naive in the extreme that a person of his calibre and nous would continuously agree to give interviews in this manner, to a tabloid hack like Jim White.

It seems there is a direct line of communication between Moshiri and White. Surely the clubs media liaison would see it as appropriate to counsel him to avoid this kind of unnecessary exposure? Do Kenwright and Co. enjoy seeing him go on TV completely unnecessarily like this? Why can't someone in management step up and do their job?

On a final note, I have seen some sneering (not so much here ) of Moshiri's accent and ability to express himself in English. Firstly, it was Live TV and secondly, I wonder how many people could express themselves equally well in Farsi? The man was giving an unwarranted live interview to a hack in what is NOT his native tongue. Even with excellent English, for goodness sake he is entitled to stutter and need time to think. I have worked with several Iranians and Moshiri's English "accent" is very typical of how they speak. I thought that criticism of him was very harsh in some quarters.

The club should know better than to expose him, or let him be exposed, in this situation.

Lot of people on here really need a dummy and a cuddle from their mummies!

Load of tosh that we are worse off than last year. We have got 4 new first team players, we are probably 3 new players (CB/F and LB come next summer) away from having a really, really good team. Of course everyone is disappointed we never managed to get that new forward but it is what it is. It's not like picking up bread at a supermarket, there could be unreasonable demands from players/agents to factor in.

Granted would be good if he didn't go on TV but it doesn't really change much at the end of the day. Some people have very short memories comparing Moshiri to Kenwright, we spent over 160 million in one window for FFS, even if you take out the sales it's still a reasonable chunk when you consider the increase in wages and our modest commercial income.

Just to provide balance to this, and [personally i am not a fan of him ringing in Sky Sports.

Ive read thousands of thread on here over the years complaining about the administration not communicating with the fans, you cant have it every way, or rather thee will always be someone who knocks.
Your first sentence is the key though.

You absolutely can complain about lack of communication and also about going on Sky Sports 10 minutes before the end of the window and getting drawn into a rather bizarre and frankly embarrassing exchange. It's like saying you can't complain about getting stuck behind someone 5 mph on the motorway if you also complain about someone doing 120mph down your road. There's a middle ground.

Your first sentence is the key though.

You absolutely can complain about lack of communication and also about going on Sky Sports 10 minutes before the end of the window and getting drawn into a rather bizarre and frankly embarrassing exchange. It's like saying you can't complain about getting stuck behind someone 5 mph on the motorway if you also complain about someone doing 120mph down your road. There's a middle ground.

If the intent was to reach out to fans and provide context despite the ridiculous method in the root intention good or bad?

If the intent was to reach out to fans and provide context despite the ridiculous method in the root intention good or bad?
Oh I don't doubt that the intention was good. If I thought he had bad intentions I'd be actually fuming, not just mildly perturbed.

The point is just that you can have it both ways. You can have communications from the club, but ones which have been fully thought through and are likely to address fan concerns. This one was haphazard and actually has raised more questions than it answered. I was concerned when he did it last deadline day, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he was new to football and I thought he may have just misunderstood how things work. To go and do the same thing 12 months later was really naïve and in my opinion unprofessional.

Oh I don't doubt that the intention was good. If I thought he had bad intentions I'd be actually fuming, not just mildly perturbed.

The point is just that you can have it both ways. You can have communications from the club, but ones which have been fully thought through and are likely to address fan concerns. This one was haphazard and actually has raised more questions than it answered. I was concerned when he did it last deadline day, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he was new to football and I thought he may have just misunderstood how things work. To go and do the same thing 12 months later was really naïve and in my opinion unprofessional.

Fair points mate and good post. It does seem a bit Harry Rdknappesque of being interviewed out his car window, it is surprising given that he generally holds the persona of a quiet enabler as opposed to media jockeying, especially on a medium as razzmatazz as SSN deadline day show.

But if we sold Barkley then maybe we would have brought somebody else in?

I wish Moshiri never came here, mainly because I am sick of people acting like we should spend billions.

We have spent a fair bit and added a sizable amount to the wage bill. A striker would have been nice of course it would have been (technically we brought 3 in but whatever....) but maybe the ones we wanted just did not want to come here or their clubs didn't want to sell. You cant just keep going down the list until you find someone who is available, that's how you end up with players who don't fit in.

'A striker would have been nice' - how about a striker is critical!!!?

'A striker would have been nice' - how about a striker is critical!!!?

Technically we signed 3 of them (Sandro, Rooney, Vlasic though he is more of a wide man I suppose). 4 if you include Onyekeru.

As critical as it is if a player with the required ability is not available then what should we do? Take a risk on somebody who is not up to the task? There comes a point where you run through your list of players and the next one down after exhausting all other options is just a waste of money.

Technically we signed 3 of them (Sandro, Rooney, Vlasic though he is more of a wide man I suppose). 4 if you include Onyekeru.

As critical as it is if a player with the required ability is not available then what should we do? Take a risk on somebody who is not up to the task? There comes a point where you run through your list of players and the next one down after exhausting all other options is just a waste of money.
Surely with Walsh's suppose scouting network a striker on loan was not beyond them

Status
Not open for further replies.