The Everton Board Thread 2015/16 [ Not takeover related ]

Is it time for change?

• I'm happy with the way thing are. Kenwright and the Board should stay.

Votes: 75 10.2%
  • Kenwright and the board need to go. We need change.

Votes: 558 76.2%
  • I'm indifferent. Can't decide.

Votes: 99 13.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The positive thing is that it says the pair AND partners on both sides of the atlantic, I always said the drumaville consortium who owned Sunderland would be ideal for us in that 5+ investors would give us greater financial strength than just the 1 owner.

John Moores
18 seasons as the owner of the San Diego Padres.
In their five-team regional division, they finished ...
1st- 4 times, 2nd- 1 time, 3rd- 3 times, 4th- 5 times, 5th- 5 times
They made the playoffs four times and made it to the championship once, where they lost to the Yankees.
Under his reign, they were consistently in the lower half of MLB payrolls. Towards the end, they were in the bottom few, even reaching the very bottom in his final year as the owner.

Sorry, haven't had time to hunt down the previous thread. Article from today's Times by Rory Smith:

An American-led consortium is hoping to complete a takeover of Everton within the next six weeks, The Times can reveal. The group has signed a head of terms agreement for the deal, which could be worth about £200 million, and is performing due diligence on the club’s accounts.

Bill Kenwright, the chairman, has granted John J Moores, Charles Noell and their partners — believed to include investors from both sides of the Atlantic — a period of exclusivity to examine the finances at Goodison Park. That expires at the end of next month, when a decision will be made about whether to push ahead with a deal.

Should a sale go through, it would make Everton the second Barclays Premier League side in less than two months to receive an injection of US capital. Crystal Palace announced this week that they had agreed to sell a 36 per cent stake to Joshua Harris, owner of the Philadelphia 76ers, and David Blitzer.

Moores and Noell had been linked with a similar deal to invest in Swansea City 12 months ago, holding discussions with Huw Jenkins, the chairman, and the club’s supporters’ trust over purchasing 33 per cent of the club. Those talks fell through in February amid doubts among fans’ representatives over accepting foreign investment.

The proposition on the table from Moores and Noell on Merseyside is more far-reaching. Although it is likely that Kenwright, owner of the club since 1999, would be offered some form of honorary position, it would mark an end to a search for extra investment that has lasted a decade.

Kenwright has never made any secret of his willingness to sell his stake if he felt that doing so would help Everton to compete with the Premier League’s big beasts. He has held talks with dozens of groups over the sale of some or all of the club in recent years, including three described as “viable options” since October.

None of those proposals, though, has made it as far as Moores and Noell’s. Both men made their money in technology, Moores as founder of BMC software, which eventually became one of the biggest firms in the field in the United States. In 1992 he founded JMI Equity, a venture capital house, and two years later spent $80 million to buy the San Diego Padres baseball franchise.

After winning four divisional titles and one National League title, he sold up, in 2012, for ten times his initial stake, taking $200 million (about £135 million) from the most recent Major League Baseball television deal. The 71-year-old’s worth was estimated at about $825 million in 2010, though it is thought his decision to sell the Padres was inspired by the cost of his divorce.

Noell helped to co-found JMI and has been president of Moores’s family investment company since 1991.

John Moores
18 seasons as the owner of the San Diego Padres.
In their five-team regional division, they finished ...
1st- 4 times, 2nd- 1 time, 3rd- 3 times, 4th- 5 times, 5th- 5 times
They made the playoffs four times and made it to the championship once, where they lost to the Yankees.
Under his reign, they were consistently in the lower half of MLB payrolls. Towards the end, they were in the bottom few, even reaching the very bottom in his final year as the owner.

Did he mastermind 3 failed stadium moves & sell off/outsource all of his clubs assets, only being saved from financial catastrophe by lucrative tv deals?

Yea, I agree, but it's not really been the way that the argument's been put forward by many. Quite often I've seen arguments about new owners being worse than the devil we know swatted aside by people who are obsessed with getting shut of the current lot. "Better owners" is always open to debate. Say they invested money into the club which enabled it to grow, but later started taking half of any profits as dividends. Is that better, or worse ?

Personally I'd say it was better, but there's a fair few people who don't like the idea of anyone making money out of our club. It's not a black and white area, in some ways it might be "what is the least worse option".

I'm being a bit pedantic and playing devil's advocate, but there is some truth in it.

The way I look at it, I want Everton to be successful. We currently pay footballers upwards of £50,000 a week to kick a ball. Some might say that amount of money being spent is morally bankrupt. Why baulk at people running the club & making it successful from taking a wage/a dividend? I support the club because it's what I grew up with, what I was born into. I don't have any ideals that Everton are some sort of charitable bastion of moral correctness. Because basically, none of that really exists.

If the club are successful, spending money on a new stadium to grow as an entity, then I'm not particularly bothered if the owners reward themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.