The Difference between Football now and before the Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main difference between then and now is that kids that show promise are signed by premier league clubs at the age of 10. Back in the 80s you could find quality players in lower division that hadn't been spotted by bigger clubs, a good example being trevor Steven signed from 3rd division burnley.

The main difference between then and now is that kids that show promise are signed by premier league clubs at the age of 10. Back in the 80s you could find quality players in lower division that hadn't been spotted by bigger clubs, a good example being trevor Steven signed from 3rd division burnley.

Brendan Galloway? John Stones?

John Stones
Jamie Vardy
That lad at Spurs. Scored for England the other week.

But saying that, you aint wrong.

The weird thing is, now the TV money is so mega, every PL club will be able to sign pretty much anyone, so perversely, maybe the pendulum will swing back towards a more "equal" footing.

Like United will always generate more cash than us, but there are only so many players they can sign.

Reactions: rbm
The money in the next few years will be immense.
The only way we will keep our talent is success and i have a sneaking feeling the capital one cup has our name on it

No decent player gives two craps about domestic trophies, Lukaku/Stones don't want to finish their careers with a couple of league cups to their name and never playing in the CL...

True, but they're the exception not the norm, you won't get many lower league signings that could walk into a premier league team.

No, of course not. FWIW, I have a long held theory.

And it is quite straight forward. Take away the exceptional players, the Giggs, the Rooneys, and with the number of bang average, non british players in the PL, those brits who were good as a 16 year old, are still playing football, but in lesser sides.

They are there, but in a poor team/enviroment, and I honesty think most PL sides are basically too lazy to scout the lower leagues, and prefer to bring in foreign players cos they are probably cheap, might have a better sell on value, or are just seduced by some "director of football"

Spurs recently? Liverpool? Newcastle?

I don't even pay attention to the league. If we win one week I'm happy, if we don't it's redemption the next. The table is really a lie because there are really only four teams that will regularly make the top 4. Occasionally us, Liverpool, Spurs, or any of the others with the new money might make break it.
Cups on the other hand rely on miracles. You don't need to be consistent. All you have to do is approach it one game at a time and win. We can win a cup, but we will probably never win the league.

I think Everton have done this a lot but the likes of Chelsea don't seem to be interested in doing it. Its the one thing i would always give Moyes credit for, going and finding them type of players that came within our budget, while money clubs spunked big £££ on name players that turned out to be rubbish in reality.

The whole football structure is similar to the housing or stock market. Over inflated prices and pay packets, greedy agents and a lack of long term strategy to do what's best for the game by those in a position to do it.

It will fall apart sooner or later if things keep escalating and we just need to hope that when that happens, the pyramid is rebuilt in such a way that our club (and similar ones) have a fair chance of glory.

Until then let's just hope we win a cup and play in Europe as often as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.