The Difference between Football now and before the Premier League

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallamblue

Player Valuation: £35m
If we had this team when I was 18 (1988) I would have been annoyed but in some ways I would have said yesterday would do us some good. We are a young developing team, and events like this can only help our education as a team.

However, we all know that if we don't get Top 4 this season we will lose Lukaku and Stones as well. Once that happens, it can well be a downward spiral.

Our team now reminds me of West Ham under Harry Redknapp. They had Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Paolo Di Canio. They played good football and I honestly thought they could challenge for the league.

They were relegated within 3 years. As soon as the board sold Rio Ferdinand to Leeds the whole club knew that they didn't have the money or ambition to build on the 1 golden chance (before being handed the Olympic Stadium for free) they had to build a team that could really challenge.

It makes me sick, not just for Everton, but for any team that isn't rich. When I was growing up, teams like Notts Forest, Ipswich, Villa, Norwich City were challenging for the league and sometimes winning it. They built good teams, and those teams stayed together for long enough to achieve something. Don't get me wrong they still lost their best players, but not after 1 good season.

The only chance we have is to be an English version of Villareal or Athletico Madrid. Constantly developing young players to replace the ones you will inevitably lose. No team in England has ever managed this, so excuse me if I doubt our ability to be the first.

It's frustrating. I'd say we can win a cup, but do we have a realistic chance of winning the league without a benefactor?

Very very slim. That thought is more than a little saddening.

A wage cap and regulated transfer system worldwide may make a difference but the fat cats benefitting currently would never let it happen.

However, we all know that if we don't get Top 4 this season we will lose Lukaku and Stones as well.

If they have half a head on them, I'm not sure that's really the case. They have a chance to make something out of their own hard work and not ride coattails...there's something to be said about that part of the game, particularly when they retire. Whether they can see past the next year is another issue altogether.

If we had this team when I was 18 (1988) I would have been annoyed but in some ways I would have said yesterday would do us some good. We are a young developing team, and events like this can only help our education as a team.

However, we all know that if we don't get Top 4 this season we will lose Lukaku and Stones as well. Once that happens, it can well be a downward spiral.

Our team now reminds me of West Ham under Harry Redknapp. They had Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Paolo Di Canio. They played good football and I honestly thought they could challenge for the league.

They were relegated within 3 years. As soon as the board sold Rio Ferdinand to Leeds the whole club knew that they didn't have the money or ambition to build on the 1 golden chance (before being handed the Olympic Stadium for free) they had to build a team that could really challenge.

It makes me sick, not just for Everton, but for any team that isn't rich. When I was growing up, teams like Notts Forest, Ipswich, Villa, Norwich City were challenging for the league and sometimes winning it. They built good teams, and those teams stayed together for long enough to achieve something. Don't get me wrong they still lost their best players, but not after 1 good season.

The only chance we have is to be an English version of Villareal or Athletico Madrid. Constantly developing young players to replace the ones you will inevitably lose. No team in England has ever managed this, so excuse me if I doubt our ability to be the first.

We know this?

falling_banknotes.gif

The big difference these days is the size of a squad that clubs are able to keep together. It wasn't so long ago that very good players would move to a different club (even what would be called a "smaller" club these days) just to get a regular game. Things could change very quickly. Now players sit tight and take the money. It's as if they take the view that if they don't play then they won't get injured. Keep raking it in for as long as they get away with it. Can't say I blame them really.

Players who could do a real job for another club just aren't bothered.......

Apparently we've been losing our best players for years, however with my memory so poor I can only ever recall Rooney fitting into this category and moving onto pastures new.

Other players we've sold for big money have clearly been for the benefit of the team and strengthening the squad. I don't suddenly see that changing for a couple of years at least.

Apparently we've been losing our best players for years, however with my memory so poor I can only ever recall Rooney fitting into this category and moving onto pastures new.

Other players we've sold for big money have clearly been for the benefit of the team and strengthening the squad. I don't suddenly see that changing for a couple of years at least.
And when we sold rooney we got marcus bent and got into the top 4.
We have done well out of sales especially the dosh we got for jeffers and rodwell

We just gotta pray with this £50 million increase in TV cash we can afford to offer our best players £100k+ contracts and hope we are doing just enough on the pitch to keep them at the club.

Funnily enough an article in the mirror was on about Rooney coming back to us, I wonder would signing him convince some of our players to stay? Regardless of his current form he would be a big statement of intent.

We just gotta pray with this £50 million increase in TV cash we can afford to offer our best players £100k+ contracts and hope we are doing just enough on the pitch to keep them at the club.

Funnily enough an article in the mirror was on about Rooney coming back to us, I wonder would signing him convince some of our players to stay? Regardless of his current form he would be a big statement of intent.
The money in the next few years will be immense.
The only way we will keep our talent is success and i have a sneaking feeling the capital one cup has our name on it

Status
Not open for further replies.