The case for Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
He either wins a good number of games before the end of the season or he will be sacked. And rightly so.

The rest of the narrative around this is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how good people think we did in tough away games which we lost. It doesn't matter who he recruited. It doesn't matter whether you think another sacking is futile. It doesn't matter whether you are worried at how others will perceive us if we change manager again.

The fact remains....

If we don't see a marked upturn in results before the middle of May then he deserves to go and will inevitably be sacked. If he gets the full season he will have no grounds for complaints either.

Other things to add:

• He's been here just 7 months. It's way too short a period to judge him on
  • We were perfroming above expectations before the derby (after which point we performed at below expectations), so we know this feller can get a tune out of a team
  • The preseason that we needed to work on effective defensive positioning for set pieces was simply not there due to injuries to both CBs brought in last summer...a situation which stretched well into the season
  • A goalkeeper having a calamitous season
1 Fat Sam was here the same time.# We needed to stop blaming the Derby on the crap thereafter, Silva has had ample time to realise Zonal is not working, I don't like the keeper but you cannot put the blame on him for everything.
I was not in favour of Silva but I was prepared to give him 18mths, but the last 2 months have been awful and I can't support him any longer.

Imagine starting next season with the form we are on now? We would be where Huddersfield are! Do you want to gamble with the future of the football club in the Premier league?

Keeping Silva will be a gamble! One I dont think we should be prepared to take when he has so many doubts about his ability and all these poor statistics follow him around every club..... Ive seen nothig from him this season to suggest he is the man. AND for all those saying we could and should have beaten a top 6 side teams like Newcastle, Crystal Palace, Leicester, West Ham, Southampton, Bournemouth, Watford and Wolves all have!!!

Gamble on a young manager is good, happy about that, but going for a crap one wasnt such a good idea, besides it was obvious he wasnt a pro bucuase as soon as Everton showed interested he lost interest.
Lets take a gamble on Arteta, least he knows what winning is all about
Take a chance on an assistant coach with one game and one loss under his belt. Sounds like a great idea.

Out of both cups early and mid table mediocrity isn't a total disaster but doesn't fill me with optimism.
Players form dropping ditto.

The club's present situation is though a disaster.
We are a famous football club with a rich history of winning honours.

We have an owner now prepared to invest to see further honours and progress.

You only want to sack an underperfoming manager if he has a bad attitude (like a red christmas tree?) or is disrespectful.

Forgive me but this is the apathetic attitude that has held us in the doldrums for 25 years.

Our motto meant something once. We should be striving for excellence. Be winners. Let the young evertonians taste the incredible buzz that we glowed in in the 80's.

To have that you need to be ruthless with managers and players. Its not like they will be lining up at the food bank.
We have an owner who's handed Silva a sell to buy mandate. This isn;t the Koeman period anymore mate, when the carpetbagger handed the club's windfall from player sales plus tv cash to that Dutch bonehead. Oh, and I'm sorry if Silva hasn't ended our 23 year barren run in his first 7 months. A disgraceful act of failure.
1 Fat Sam was here the same time.# We needed to stop blaming the Derby on the crap thereafter, Silva has had ample time to realise Zonal is not working, I don't like the keeper but you cannot put the blame on him for everything.
I was not in favour of Silva but I was prepared to give him 18mths, but the last 2 months have been awful and I can't support him any longer.
"Fat Sam" parked the bus and we stunk the place out getting 8th. Silva was handed the job of getting us playing again...but now the owner has snapped the purse strings shut when we need a striker and a few other positions filling.

Just no context.

Performances sometimes don't match results. I agree with @davek we were playing well in that period and for the first time in a long time went to the big sides and arguably could/should have gotten more, especially if we had a striker or even just a competent referee.
Who’s fault is it we didn’t have a decent striker?? And we can’t blame refs for us not being able to hit the target

Take a chance on an assistant coach with one game and one loss under his belt. Sounds like a great idea.

The club's present situation is though a disaster.
We have an owner who's handed Silva a sell to buy mandate. This isn;t the Koeman period anymore mate, when the carpetbagger handed the club's windfall from player sales plus tv cash to that Dutch bonehead. Oh, and I'm sorry if Silva hasn't ended our 23 year barren run in his first 7 months. A disgraceful act of failure.

"Fat Sam" parked the bus and we stunk the place out getting 8th. Silva was handed the job of getting us playing again...but now the owner has snapped the purse strings shut when we need a striker and a few other positions filling.

Just no context.
Fat Sam could organise a defense, Silva cannot, Silva was Everton manager in waiting the day he got sacked by Watford and knew what was needed up front like everyone else did, yet he decide to buy a dodgy centre back for 28m that his and brands fault.

Fat Sam could organise a defense, Silva cannot, Silva was Everton manager in waiting the day he got sacked by Watford and knew what was needed up front like everyone else did, yet he decide to buy a dodgy centre back for 28m that his and brands fault.
I can organise a defence too mate: all but one behind the ball, sit deep, outnumber the attackers 2:1. That's why we scored just 27 and had the worst record of shots on target in the PL.

You keep pedalling this, but he's a more decorated managed than three of his four predecessors.

How come? His records with Hull and Watford were horrendous. He was not even at Martinez’s level. At least RM won a cup and relegated Wigan at the same time. Koeman done well at Soton for 2 seasons while BFS got a greater reputation than Silva, as a fireman and been around the PL for a long time.

It's perhaps worth saying also that since Martinez was sacked, we've signed 27 new players (8 of which are already out the door). That's practically 10 new players every season. It's perhaps no surprise that the players not only seem to lack any cohesion as a unit, but lack any connection to the club

Add in we've had 3 managers (4 if you include Unsworth), all of whom will have had their own coaching staff, own tactics, methods and culture. It's not really a surprise that the club is a shambles at the moment. I'm not convinced at all by Silva, but by god we need some stability so the club can regain a bit of identity again.

We do need stability - but Silva hasn't shown anything to warrent being optimistic about the future of the club with him in charge.

Even before the derby we were fairly mediocre.

Still don't know what he's trying to do or what his philosophy is - and it's February. An almighty dud of a season.

If we don't massively improve from now till the end of the season he can koff IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.