The best in the world at their position. At Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Southall and Dean. Most are saying Ball too, and I take their word and I see what people mean when they suggest Lineker - he was awfully good.

I reckon there may be a case for the 2010 - 2013 Leighton Baines.

.....Ray Wilson was recognised as the best LB in the world when I was a lad. West Germany had an outstanding LB called Karl Schnellinger who was thought to be up there with Wilson. My favourite player of all time was Bally but 'hand on heart' there were great midfielders of that era. Southall, though, was unbelievable and for two or three seasons there can't have been a better keeper in the world.

Wilson and Southall in my lifetime were best in the world.

Southall for me. My aul lad reckons Young was probably the best who ever played for us and a world class forward. Balance, skill, vision and deadly in one-on-ones.

.....Ray Wilson was recognised as the best LB in the world when I was a lad. West Germany had an outstanding LB called Karl Schnellinger who was thought to be up there with Wilson. My favourite player of all time was Bally but 'hand on heart' there were great midfielders of that era. Southall, though, was unbelievable and for two or three seasons there can't have been a better keeper in the world.

Wilson and Southall in my lifetime were best in the world.

Wilson's an interesting shout...don't know too much about him, to be fair...seems to go under the radar in discussions about the older Everton greats.

I think 2-3 years ago Baines would have been close, about the time he was wanted by Bayern Munich and Manchester United.

Linker during his short time at the club played superbly well. We played to his strengths and surely must have been at the time one of the worlds best strikers.

We played to his strengths and surely must have been at the time one of the worlds best strikers.

he really was...very respected in Germany is Lineker, even in the era of Völler & Klinsmann.

Also your first point here is very interesting...we played to his strengths. Really highlights the importance of making sure we learn to do this for Rom.

Baines was and is better at his position than rooney at his. There are not many better left backs in the world than baines and there are better players than rooney even in the league not to mention the world

Sorry fellas but Lineker wasn't even the best goalscorer on Merseyside, he was good but never the "best in the world".

Ball, Wilson, Southall and possibly Kanchelskis.

If he's around long enough we might even be able to add John Stones to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.